1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Kenny Smith: Houston is the must-watch team in the 2nd half.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blue Brick, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we need you a time machine.
    the obvious reason why he didn't score so many points because he was the point guard. when he was asked to score, that wasn't a problem since he was so much taller than the other PG guards or even SG guards in the league.

at least get ESPN Classic man. Get NBATV, they show old games all the time. you realize that 148 points /game in the 80s is normal right?

2. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I watch ESPN Classic all the time and NBATV. I never said that he couldn'd score a lot points. I said for a whole season.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

u also gotta understand back then u can't double team the way teams can now--i.e shadow a guy and stay in b/t your guy and the guy u wanna double; u can't have one guy staying willy nilly around the paint; u can't play zone defense.

yes we have the hand-check rules, but defenses back then usually play straight up man defense. if u double, u have to double straight up and can't go back and forth b/t 2 players.

players nowadays like kobe/tmac/bron would KILL defenses back then b/c it was more of a 1-on-1 defense. that's why teams can't score 120-130-140 pts consistently nowadays b/c the double teams force the main guys to pass out more than before.

i mean can u imagine playing 1-on-1 v. lebron back then? dude would bulldoze over anyone and get 40 pts easily. with the help defense now, u can double him everywhere he goes basically and force him to be a jumpshooter more than he should (which explains his high 3pt attempts for a guy who can't shoot 3s).

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I swear some of you have a FETISH for Dogging on the 80s and 90s NBA.
    I really have no idea why. Who cares if you are young and want to establish your generation. I never dissed the 70s teams. you realize back in the day they DIDN'T HAVE a 3 point line? who the hell knows how many points a Calvin Murphy or Oscar Robertson would score if they had a 3 point line.

5. t_mac1

the point is you cannot compare generations. different rules, different styles of play, different types of players.

u can say players back then had a better jumpshot, which can help them in today's game w/ the zone/illegal defense.

but then i can say players now can just destroy the 1-on-1 defense b/ they're much more athletically gifted... (bron/kobe/tmac/pierce/melo/shaq).

i mean SERIOUSLY, u think wilt will ever average 50 pts in today's game?

6. tinman

Supporting Member

you are comparing generations though.

Look dude, just because people were born in a different generation doesn't mean they were not skilled or athletic.

this is utterly r****ded.

20 years from now, I hope your kids dog on this generation of players so you can have a taste of your own medicine.

7. t_mac1

b/c 20 years from now they WILL be more athletic and possibly more skilled.

you do know life evolves right? u think we're not as evolved/skilled/more developed than the cavemen?

8. T-mac&Yao=RING

I never dog the 80's and 90's. A lot of my favorite players played back then.

80's Julius Erving, Moses Malone , and Dominique Wilkins

90's Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston and MJ.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I remember Yao had 30+ pts in 3 games, and just in one game he scored in single digit. He sure is not as good as now, but you say Bob Sura had more of an impact is too excessive!

BTW, it is hard to imagine why Tmac came to Houston for playing with a player who is less than Bob Sura!

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

You do have a point there, but for God's sake I don't think Sura had more impact then. Also I think Yao hasn't reached his peak yet even in this season, it's just interesting to see him evolve better each year.

11. t_mac1

game 1 - 11 pts
    game 2 - 33 pts
    game 3 - 15 pts
    game 4 - 20 pts
    game 5 - 30 pts
    game 6 - 8 pts
    game 7 - 33 pts

more importantly, he only played 31 minutes a game. he doesn't stay on the floor as much as he is now. and he didn't draw any double team in that series like he is now.

he's much much improved. he's 2 levels of where he was in 04-05.

12. t_mac1

lol i was exaggerating to make a point that yao is nowhere the guy that he is now. but man, i just love bobby sura :D

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A good team that lost to a better one. We had t-mac and yao, and a bunch of scrubs who had nothing left the next year. A slew of slow players or too old. Dallas sliced us apart. The next year that team went to the finals mind you.

We lost to Utah last year, again, I thought they were the better team.

And this year, I'll say this, Dallas, Utah, San Antonio (if healthy), Phoenix (well we might pass them after this shq thing), and L.A. are all better teams than us.

They all have 3 big guns. Dallas as Dirk-Howard-Terry, Phoenix has Nash-Amare-Shaq-Hill, SA has Parker-G-Duncun, L.A. Kobe-Baynum-Gasol, utah has deron-boozer-AK

And all of these teams have awesome role-players.

We have Tmac and Yao....and after that maybe wells is a guy who's been an all-star before. has he? We don't have a Michael finely, a Jerry Stackhouse, a Barbosa, lamar odem, derek fishcher, raja bell, ronnie brewer, okur, korver, or a devin harris

those teams have incredible role-players - guys who would be near stars on other teams. We have none of those. Be real, if we get out of the first round, it will because t-mac and yao are that dominant and that good.

Because the rest of our team compared to the rest of other teams minus their two best players is not very good.

You put t-mac and yao with any of the other teams minus their two best players, and now you're talking about a championship for t-mac and yao.

but with the guys we got? Please. Maybe is Steve Francis was healthy - so maybe next year. But forget - winning in the first round should be enough to make people happy here - we're simply not good enough 1 through 8.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Kobe would do well back then.

lebron would do ok. he can penetrate well, but the game was much more physical back then. not to mention the hand checking would've slowed him down.

tmac would've retired after 5 years in the league. back then, the game was much more physical. remember the bad boy pistons? how do you think tmac would've handled that?

you're right, it was a one-on-one defense until you get in the paint. thats why tmac/lebron wouldnt kill.

teams dont score as much now b/c the current league's skill pales in comparison to the 80's players. yes, double teams force the main guys to pass out more than before. but that will eventually lead to an open shot.

and simply put, the eighties players were better shooters than today's. i dont remember a single time where i saw a guard from the eighties airball a wide open 3 pointer.

help defense (assuming they're helping to defend the ball handler) has always been around.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You also should give Bob Sura's scores!

game 1 - 8 pts
    game 2 - 14 pts
    game 3 - 21 pts
    game 4 - 5 pts
    game 5 - 7 pts
    game 6 - 0 pts
    game 7 - 0 pts

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

I have no problem with that :p

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

Not the T-Mac of the orlando days he was just as good as Kobe and Lebron mayber even better.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought we had a chance to win against the Mavs but they had more talent than us. If we had held them off in the second to last home game,we could have won,but they were deeper than us.

19. t_mac1

we should have won that home game when the jet got lucky and got the ball back and then made a TOUGH shot over tmac. the jet just killed us.

we stopped dirk; he was a non-factor and they still won.

and i'm still pissed at the refs in that series. we should have beaten if 1-2 things went our way.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If we had the tmac of the orlando days, there would be no critical threads of him and we wouldnt be having this conversation.

but in any case, injury prone is injury prone. sure, his injuries didnt start till he was with the rockets, but it seems like they were the result of wear and tear on the body.

imagine how accelerated the wear and tear would've been if he had to play against the physical defense of the eighties.