1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Spears] Denver President on Lawson Trade and his Drinking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

What a joke.

They signed him to a $50,000,000 extension knowing he had alcohol problems. They won with him as their point guard when George Karl was the coach, knowing Lawson had a drinking problem.

They really didn't have an issue with it until a DUI, and even then they were not that worried about it because they still wanted a kings ransom in trade for him... they really were not concerned.

In fact they were not really concerned until they decided to rebuild and drafted another point guard they love..... then all of a sudden they were concerned.

Then, after waiting until all the other suiters dried up, they then have to deal him for literally pennies on the dollar..... they get a lot of backlash from fans and the media....... and now, magically they decide to act like they were concerned, and it was so bad that they had to deal Lawson.

It was bush league, CYA by the Nuggets.

You want to handle the trade with class? You say nothing or you wish him luck, you don't come out with comments about how you could smell liquor on his breathe and how he partied too much....... the good news is that anyone with a Machiavellian bone in their body realizes that this simpleton only made his own organization look less professional than it already is.

2. dragician

dragician Member

I won't be surprised if the cops that caught him were clutchfans. ;)

3. dram1

dram1 Member

well Morey has had to curtail his interest in twitter wars with Cuban...other than that...then yeah...FO stays quiet.

4. dram1

dram1 Member

I pretty much agree with everything you posted here...it's disgustingly obvious they are talking only because he's gone...and for so little in return. Denver FO is trying to do a little damage control in explaining why they allowed Morey to rob them in that trade and they came out looking even more inept. They didn't "care" about him til they found his replacement.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not true at all. I probably should have posted the entire article, but reading the whole article is your responsibility before becoming so critical.

You failed to read this part at nearly the very beginning of the article.

Nuggets Tried to get Lawson Help for Years

Kroenke told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday in a phone interview that the Nuggets had been privately trying to help Lawson with his issues for “the past couple of years” and that there had been problems for a long time.

Kroenke said he had repeated conversations with Lawson about his “life struggles,” adding that Lawson often said he would attempt to fix his issues but he could “never fully shake them.”

Please accept that you didn't read the article or that you are making wild speculation that they did nothing just because you never heard about it before, when Kroenke says they did.

Teams cannot force a player into treatment anymore than the Rockets were able to force Royce White to see a counselor of their choice. Only if he has actions detrimental to the team (misses practices, etc) can they call upon the CBA to do something.

editing OP to include the above paragraphs.

#65 heypartner, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Dwight will come to the rescue by saying to Lawson. "....if you ever get drunk again, I 'll grap your nuts ..."

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Ultimately, we all are responsible to and for ourselves. The Denver organization nor the Rockets organization can make Ty get well. He has to decide this for himself and put in the work and effort it will take to succeed. IMO Denver owed it to Ty to keep this as much under wraps as possible as long as he was a Nuggett and the point he was traded, that obligation was gone and they owed it to their fans to share why they let a talented player go for mere pennies.

To me, this is a lot worse than I thought his problem was, but I still think it was worth the risk given his talent and what you gave up to get him.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

You and I are on the same page regarding potential negative impact on other players and vice versa. It seems like this circumstance came to a great enough extent in which the organization could have confronted and addressed the issue more sternly. It's a fine balance in not intervening too much with personal life, but the Rockets organization needs to be very careful in handling this issue, particularly in how it will affect the other players.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm hopeful that John Lucas str8 up, scared str8 program will work for Ty... Care more about his personal life than his basketball life.. Get yourself well young man!

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As bad as this sounds it was a well kept secret. Surprisingly it never showed up on the court.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Spot on analysis. I'm amazed (and disappointed) at the belief here that there is such a thing as a "functional alcoholic" and that the Rockets will be OK even if Lawson doesn't put down the bottle. It really doesn't matter how well Lawson may play on the court if he ends up killing himself or some innocent person while DUI. I fully understand why Morey made this deal given their hole at the PG spot but it may have come at too great a cost. We'll have to wait and see but I am not filled with optimism on how this will play out.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Denver President brutally honest.

Its actually pretty refreshing because you never hear or see the real truth.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Drunken Master, make it masters, him and Harden.

Like I said, this league is too smart to pass on Lawson for the price we had to give up. They are usually right.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

now I kinda think Smith's departure isn't that bad. Imagine a locker room with ... Morey signed Hayes to be the adult, but ... jury is still out

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully he can get his **** together because I highly doubt KD is coming here. Next year's FA class is pretty bad too.

At this point we've put ourselves in the position where Lawson performing well is really what will win us a championship in the next two years. Unless things go terribly wrong in Toronto or something and another decent PG becomes available.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Sorry for partying

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't know. I still can't wrap my head around us trying harder to keep Smith. I would have much rather signed him than KJ. People will talk all they want about the potential from a guy who played half a season for Philly, but I really think that defense we can throw at the Griffins and other West 4s with Smith is our missing piece.

There could be a lot I don't know, but it seemed like Morey had no issues letting him walk.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh no. Would you please tell me what exactly they did do? Also he DID miss practice on atleast one occasion. Which makes more sense "Gosh we were worried about it and tried to get him help" from someone that is self serving, in complete CYA spin control .... Or the facts ... They gave him a $50,000,000 extension, held on to him for years knowing he had an alcohol problem and there is zero evidence they ever did or even attempted to do anything to help him..... Other than conveniently and passive aggressively smearing him after he is gone.

Besides aren't you usually white knighting chicks and not someone that only has any saying in the Nuggets front office because who his father is and has ran the organization into the ground?

Yeah that's what I thought... Go back to your bizarro threads in the hangout.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's more like Lawson bought into the image of expensive distilleries. The more expensive it is it must be good **** and good for you. I bet if you handed him a Bud Weiser or Foster's he'd toss that thing in the trash...

20. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I don't think very highly of the Denver org. They knew years ago that there was a problem but winning trumps everything.

For them to say now we care, we really care...that's B/S

Rockets came out and said after rehab we're going to try and get him hooked up with Lucas to assist with the aftercare.

Now that is caring

Because it's going to be a battle for Ty and I hope he wins because if he wins, Rockets wins.