1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets could lose Yao for season—or longer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Chiron

Chiron Member

"Yao and McGrady are no longer a faulty foundation, but a collapsed one."

It time to see what Morey is made of....is he the genius that we think? Or is he all Hype?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

right there with you. disappointed...but not surprised.

i said in an earlier thread that i heard multiple different doctors on sports radio here in Houston after this injury occurred saying it would never heal right...that, at best, he'd be hobbled from year to year...and at worst, he wouldn't play again. but that lessening his minutes even by 7-10/game wouldn't diminish the impact on that injury enough.

yao is a great guy, and i'm happy to have him associated with the Houston Rockets. i have NO IDEA where we go from here....but i now understand why the rockets looked so desperate around draft day.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

Let's blow it up and start over. My opinion has not been a popular one, but I have felt for some time that the organization needed to start from scratch and get what they could of any value for both of those guys while they still could. Now it's too late. We have tried to build a championship caliber team around two injury prone players. In the beginning they didn't have much help and took two very good teams to 7 games only to lose and now, when it would appear that the parts they needed to compliment their talents are in place, they can't be around to reap the rewards. At times, one was healthy the other was not and they still achieved tremendous success. 22 game winning streak, advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs, and taking the eventual NBA champions to their only 7 game series in they playoffs. Right now they are both severly injured and it is time to close this chapter. Come on Morey, let's turn the page.

Okay...so now what? How do we move forward from here? Our two biggest stars won't get much in return at this point. Do we just let them both expire and go from there? If so I say let Ron walk too and save that money since there really isn't any point of keeping him here to be our best player...that is unless you just want to resemble the Kings of a few years ago.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There might be an outside chance of him retiring. I feel very sorry for Yao Ming.

5. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

As i said earlier... Yahoo Sports and Woj dont err too much.. the news is true most probably..

i'm almost crying..

6. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

At this point we need anyone who can score but we need a Center more than anything. If I was an NBA star I would say " go to Houston with their two biggest stars out ? HELL NO !!!! "

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No. It still counts against the cap. So, we don't have the NBA rights to do it. It makes Yao trade-able to teams who have money issues. When Yao is injured the team doesn't pay him the insurance company does. Teams like phoenix who can barely pay their players love this because they don't have to pay out their contracts.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We can get an injury exemption.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

While your story (or some version of it) is plausible, this quote is more a statement about you than about his credibility. He is a pretty well known, and highly regarded sports writer.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sad :( Really Really Sad.

Let's hope this is media hype and not actually true.

11. worzel gummidge

Except he's claiming close sources. Why would he put his rep on the line?

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Damn.

What a horrible week overall!!

Hope Yao gets better but looking at it from a team perspective, he is worth nothing as a trade asset probably forever.

So, now I am wishing he retires. No need being crippled for life by pushing the issue.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's only like 2 mil. Thats not even close to enough to do anything.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of roughly $8m.

I really hope Yao is ok...

15. Summer Song Giver

What's the over under that Jermaine Taylor is our leading scorer next season?

It's either him or AB at this point.

Sucks

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, but I think that is only for like half and it is hard to get, according to NikeStrad.

DD

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

This up coming season is going to be hard to watch.

We have $40 million + in salaries that won't be on the floor :eek:

18. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

This is probably the worst day in Houston Rockets history. :(

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The real over/under is 10.1 points per game for Shane Battier.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If Yao doesn't opt out can we still get an injury exception for the 2010 free agency if he's still injured? Even getting half of his salary available for free agent would be huge if we let Tmac expire and don't re-sign Artest.