1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YAHOO] Reggie Bush Family Home - NCAA Violations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Baqui99, Apr 23, 2006.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What cowards!!!! They have no qualms dropping VY's name when they report a "rumor" but they withhold naming the sacred prince of SoCal even though 1 major news group is reporting it. Pathetic.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

According to the article,

Before moving to the house on Apple Lane, Bush's family was listed as living in an apartment elsewhere in Spring Valley, a community located about 13 miles east of San Diego.

So, for them, the move to the $750K house is a huge upgrade. Accepting money or other gifts from agents is a serious NCAA violation, and can warrant sanctions such as loss of scholarships or forfeit of games. If the NCAA found out about this during the season, Bush would have been ineligible.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

baqui.. oh didn't see that part, so yeah it is an upgrade and I'm sure a nice house..

but why would you risk this.. just wait a few months until the guy goes pro to get a house

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

How could you buy a 3000 sq ft brand new house in southern cal for 750k in 2005?

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

As long as it doesn't effect Bush in the pros/Texans I could care less. Screw USC.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Ditto.

May be Subway bought it for him ;)

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This will be forgotten in a week.

Somebody that isn't a mobster offers me a house or a car, I'm not turning it down.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Lebron's mother bought a $50,000 hummer, he got a couple jerseys. Kids from Ohio State got a couple g's. The difference is that one is a $750,000 home!! A lot of people can buy cars (especially when your son is going to be rich, you can afford to spend some of your savings). But not many people can go from living in an apartment to purchases a 3/4 Million dollar home.

It's not all that big of a deal to me because it won't affect the draft. But just because it happens, that doesn't mean it's okay.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Don't forget Lebron had 1 foot in the NBA his HS senior year. He was a 99% lock for the draft. Reggie750K, according to the timeline, was in the middle of spring semester his sophmore year when the house was given.

Nothing is going to come of this professionally for Bu$h. But if found guilty, it voids USCs entire 2005 season. More importantly, the Heisman Reggie750K won would be stricken from the record books and perhaps given to the runner up and rightfull owner... Vince Young.

10. Baqui99

You're exactly right. This is no different than Eric Dickerson accepting large cash payments from SMU.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The only possible explanation of this episode is if some bank was willing to lend the family the money for the house based on Reggie's future earning potential serving as collateral. However, the fact that the family moved out of the house after this story came to light is pretty damning evidence to say the least. Another sad tale in the sham that is "student-athletics" today.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

non issue .. . for everyone except for USC and their fans

It is nothing that is not wide spread IMO

Rocket River

13. Major

Major Member

This doesn't really raise many questions if the Texans are primarily drafting him based on what they believe his impact will be on the field.

Where it might raise some yellow flags is if they are drafting him partially to be the "face of the franchise" (which I think is overrated, but could affect the business decision). This incident raises two questions:

(1) Bush's judgement in his personal life. Even if you accept that most athletes do stuff life this, they are at least smart enough to do it behind the scenes. Getting a $750,000 house in middle of USC's season puts their entire season and accomplishments in jeopardy. Imagine if they won the national title this year and it was stripped due to ineligibility. It makes me question his common sense a bit.

(2) It makes you wonder about his priorities a bit. He knew he and his family were going to be rich in a year, but still accepted these improper benefits (assuming the story is true), risking USC's credibility and possible sanctions and stuff on his school.

That said, I imagine this stuff is secondary to on-field performance. I think trading down for Mario Williams (if possible) is still the best way to go, but if they think Bush is the guy that takes the franchise the furthest in wins/losses over the next 5-10 years, then he's the guy to draft.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Irrelevant. That's a ****load of money. That's the only relevant part.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think this is a big deal (as far as someone picking him). However, if he really did take a crib for little to nothing, then that's as improper as it gets. LeBron got in trouble from taking some jerseys, yet it's ok for someone to take a crib? :confused:

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

yeah something doesn't seem right there ......I've seen/heard of 1,400 sqft patio homes going for $600-$650 Gs in that area.

17. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

From what it sounds like, its not like this guy bought them the house. Sounds like its his house and he let them live in it. Pretty much just leaseing the house for them for free. Really not as big of a deal as you're saying. I could be wrong though.

18. underoverup

underoverup Member

in california the lease in a house like that would be what like $3000- 4000 per month or more. thats lots of money.............. :eek:

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think you are wrong. Letting someone live in a house for free is an improper benefit. You aren't giving them money directly, but you are giving them money via the benefit of staying for free, or little to nothing.

Again, if someone can get in trouble for taking some jerseys, then I don't see how it's ok for someone to take a house. I don't know the NCAA rulebook but my common sense vibe just says a house is worse than a jersey.

20. Baqui99

Improper benefits from boosters, agents, or other outside sources are a blatant violation of NCAA rules. If Bush is found guilty he will be stripped of his Heisman as he would not have been eligible last season. Meanwhile, USC would be stripped of all their wins, just like what happened to Michigan's Fab Four Team.