1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Players+Coaches pleaded with Management to Keep Livingston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's only a matter of being cheap but also dealing with the cap.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CHEAP - if the players are good enough you go over the cap - Le$ has avoided the cap like the plague and this year has to pay some of it - hell he was getting 75% of Yao's 15m salary paid through insurance - yet would not go over the cap.

That was 15m of free money that year - which allowed him to buy a few 2nd rounders and making it look like he was a guy willing to go the distance.

He isn't - he is a stock trader - who plays percentages, Le$ bought a championship team that was built by Steve Patterson.

He wants stars, he wants access to Chinese markets and money - I get it, he is a business guy first - business over winning and that sucks.

Cuban is a winning over business guy - that is a better owner.

DD

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for the Ish Smith bump

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

Livingston averages 6 ppg. He's not 'just another player' as well?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's a matter of going over the cap to save money but rather making sure you have enough room for flexibility and to sign free agents. The Rockets wanted to sign Bosh first and then sign Parsons to whatever he wanted (including going over the cap). If they had gotten Bosh they would have happily gone over the cap.

So I am not sure why you are saying the Rockets are cheap. I think they want to make sure they can put an amazing team on the floor and that has been driving a lot of the decisions.

6. ths balla

ths balla Member

getting murdered in the other Livingston thread bc you cant support your argument so decide to spew more nonsense in this one, classic

7. dmoneybangbang

Amazing... Earlier you listed all these names of talented individuals to pass through the Roxs and now you're switching to the narrative we can't evaluate talent....

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Yes, it was a move to save money (his contract becomes guaranteed if not waived before season starts), but Livingston also bounced between Heat, Grizzlies, D-league, Wizards, BobcatsBucks before traded to us. He wasn't the same player after the knee injury. What happened after we waived him? He signed with Wizards and was waived 1 month later, then Cavaliers claimed him.

It wasn't until 1 year later, he finally landed a good role on the Nets, then the next year he got paid by Warriors for 3 year 16 mil contract.

I liked him and wanted him to stay on the team, but I can understand from management stand point. A 3rd string point guard bounced from team to team with salary about to become guaranteed. It's an acceptable move to waive him at that point.

Given said that, I do agree Morey made a mistake evaluating Livingston's potential and recovery from that bad knee injury. On another note however, it was Morey dug Beverley out of nowhere (Russia league), who turned out to be a terrific player.

9. DaDakota

LOL - you mean OWNING as this is a continuation of what we have been doing forever we cut Livingston to save money - and we are continuing to do that.

Keep on thinking this is not a problem and a big reason we are mediocre....

We flip players, we don't develop or recognize young talent - these are organizational issues.

DD

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If it weren't for him getting his game back with the Nets he would be out of the league. We should have kept him but he wasn't yet playing at the level he is now.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

T H I S

not saying Morey hasn't had his share of mistakes too

12. dmoneybangbang

It's amazing how you don't realize how often you contradict yourself or miss the big picture.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You don't get it. That's not being cheap. They were just not willing to go over the cap for a roster they didn't consider title contenders. If bosh had signed with us, they would have paid Parsons and went over.

14. DaDakota

So they say. Actions speak louder than words.

DD

15. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

This is exactly right. I'm sure if the Rockets didn't cut him, he wouldn't have the motivation to get better and be the player he is today. I bet he would've sucked if he played for us anyways. The coaches here don't know how to use players.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In those days, we (or some of us) felt that Morey could just pluck a decent PG from thin air. So letting go of good PGs weren't as concerning back then.

From hindsight, the PG position has been a huge hole ever since we got Harden and there is no end in sight.

17. Victorious

Victorious Member

so the question becomes, would you rather have Pat or Livingston?

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Harden is the best PG plucked from thin air by Morey.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm no Les fan, but didn't they go over the cap to get Lawson? Obviously once Les realized this team was complete **** they avoided some tax, which is the logical thing to do.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thankfully we didn't pay Parsons. He's broken. Bad back and knees, can never finish a season.