1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo News]Rockets hopeful Scola negotiating release from Spanish club

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...gGkvLYF?slug=txrocketsscola&prov=st&type=lgns

Rockets hopeful Scola negotiating release from Spanish club

July 14, 2007
    By Cindy Garcia-Bennett

VITORIA, Spain - It is a matter of hours before Tau Ceramica's Luis Scola is free to sign for the Houston Rockets.

On Thursday night, Houston worked a trade with San Antonio for the rights to the Argentinian power forward, with the Spurs having selected Scola in the second round of the 2002 draft.

Scola, 27, one of the best players in Europe for the past several years, has one more year on his contract at Tau and is understood to have a buyout of close to $3 million.

"In the next few hours, the player's agent will get in touch with the club to negotiate the details of the player's exit," A statement placed on Tau Ceramica's website on Saturday morning said.

"Obviously, Houston bought the player's rights and sent an offer," Scola's agent Claudio Villanueva said. "Everything could be completed today."

Tau have been one of the leading teams in Spain and Europe for several years, and Scola has been their inspiration.

He was a key member of the Argentina squad that captured a gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

Tau do not want to lose the player.

"I have said many times that he is the most important player in the club's history, so to lose a player of this calibre would logically be a problem," Club president Josean Querejeta said. "He is also one of the most important players in Europe, but in the past we have been able to overcome the departures of (Andres) Nocioni, (Jose Manuel) Calderon and (Arvydas) Macijauskas.

"The player has told me that he has an offer from Houston and that he wants to accept it. He says that he is very sorry but that this is his ambition. We thank him for his behaviour and we support him."

Querejeta warned Scola and his agent, however, not to expect a reduction in the buyout.

"The buy-out clauses are there to be followed," Querejeta said. "Evidently, if he pays the buy-out clause there's nothing to discuss because he is within his right of leaving."

If he is able to clinch his move, he would become the sixth player from Argentina currently in the NBA.

Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto are on the books with the NBA champions, San Antonio.

Nocioni, Scola's former teammate at Tau, just signed a contract extension with the Chicago Bulls, and Detroit traded Carlos Delfino to the Toronto Raptors this summer.

Walter Herrmann is also in the league after a fabulous rookie campaign with the Charlotte Bobcats.

"I understand Luis' dream to play in the NBA," Querejeta said. "We have spoken about it many times. He has had an exceptional period at the club, both in a sporting sense but also because of his human qualities.

"He's the most important player ever in the history of the club."

2. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

such politeness all the way around

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I just read somewhere (Chron?) that he's already taking his physical in Buenos Aires.

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Thanks for the post. this is great news, it shows he really wants to get this done and it may even happen today. He can come over soon and get started.

It also implies he has good character, that's a plus.

Welcome to the Rockets Sr. Scola! We cannot wait for you to personally take your frustrations out on the Spurs!

5. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Taken and passed already.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

if he turns out to be a bigger impact than nocioni, houston will be VERY good. :eek:

7. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

It's really nice to see this coming together for the Rockets. Scola should fit nicely next to Yao and T-mac. I hope he turns into our next floor leader because we need a guy with mental toughness that can light a fire under the team in crucial situations.

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Hispanic?

9. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

that's pretty strong praise for scola. sounds like we couldn't have done any better than this guy. i haven't seen him play but i'm glad to have him.

10. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Really? Who's our current floor leader?

11. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

I took a physical Friday and now speak an octave higher... :(

12. abundance

abundance Member

It was Juwan Howard.

13. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I've always thought that it was JVG since he turned all his players into robots.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Getting Scola along with Jackie Butler!? Awesome!

15. Dei

Dei Member

Where the hell were you?

Scola's a winner, unlike JHo who played mostly for crappy teams or teams that could not pass the first round.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im still trying to grasp the fact that we got this guy for free basically. Awesome.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Just a few Spanish articles I found that said the following after the best translation I could do:

The Argentine player of the TAU Luis Scola has communicated the president of the club, Hustle Querejeta, his intention to leave the vitoriano set to give the jump to the Houston Rockets in the NBA. In an official notice, the TAU explained that in the next hours the agent of the player will put itself in contact with the club to make specific the details of the exit of Scola."
    http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/259745/0/scola/tau/nba/

"Luis Scola will be the sixth Argentinean who will play the next season in the NBA. The wing-pivot, of 27 years and 2.06 meters of height, sealed a bond by three seasons, after terminating by 3 million dollars the contract that united it with Ceramic Tau, of Spain." I assuming that since the bolded is in past tense, it has happened.

I know its not necessarily stuff we don't know already. But I'm a cynic, so I won't celebrate until we know for sure that the Tau contract is dead.

18. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

wow that coach has a lot of class, he's well mannered for sure. Scola sounds like a damn good pick-up