1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Nets in three-way talks with Dallas and Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Jan 30, 2008.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

My family lives in Portland so I been following the Blazers for awhile. Their biggest need going forward is Point Guard. Blake has been a nice surprise for them this year, but I'm not sure that he is viewed as a long-term answer.

Jarrett Jack is garbage. Seriously, the guy probably couldn't even break the Houston pt guard rotation so losing him is not a big deal. Fry is a serviceable big man, but he's had trouble getting minutes the last two year in Portland, and that's before they add Oden to the rotation next year. Outlaw would be a loss, but you have to give quality to get quality and Harris fills a bigger hole than losing Outlaw creates. On a championship level club, Outlaw ceiling for the next few years, probably is only as a 25 min/g 6th man. There's a ton of value in what he provide, but the Blazer already have a number of 3 type players that could fill in his minute if they had to.

Harris is what a top 10 pg, who's young enough to grow with their young nucleus. A starting 5 of Harris, Roy, Webster, Aldridge, and Oden would be the best starting five in the league in 2 years.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

and their 2006 first round pick joel freeland who's another big.

3. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

What if Stack goes back to the Mavs anyways?

This past summer Portland offered Outlaw and Jack for Battier. Morey said no.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding me about that. In that case,I'm all for this proposed deal if it's true.Missing Stackhouse will hurt Dallas a lot. I liked your comment about either Nachbar or Wright going to Portland. Neither one of them are as good as Outlaw,but they can help them.

5. Asian Sensation

I guess I undervalue Harris because of my dislike for him and I'd hate to see him in a Blazers uniform. I still don't see why the Blazers would give up Outlaw without something greater in return. I'd be more inclined to give up Webster along with Jack and Frye and that should be enough to get Harris if the Blazers really wanted him.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

There was more to it than just that. Outlaw was a restricted free agent. Any potential deal would have been a complicated S&T deal that would have involved us sacrificing our best perimeter defender in Battier.

If Outlaw is available by himself then you've got my attention. How many 6'9" guys are there with world-class athleticism, 3 pt range and capable of playing three positions? He's only 23-years-old and on top of that he's locked in for next two seasons at only $4 million a year. That's a very small and manageable contract for a player of age and upside.

That being said, I have no clue why Portland would want to deal him. I suppose they think they're hitting a home run with Devin Harris and feel that Outlaw is a worthy sacrifice in order to make that happen. I doubt they would want anything we have for Outlaw but it's worth a shot. :)

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Just to build on my previous post: Jason Kidd is a bad fit for Dallas. Dallas is not an up-tempo team. They do not like to run, they like to control the tempo and will only selectively run when it is to their advantage. One of the staples of their offense is the high post pick/switch and iso with Dirk, which works great with Terry and Harris. They can't run that play with Kidd - it won't be nearly as effective. Like I said before, they'd also lose Harris' ability to penetrate and break down the defense. On top of that, they lose a valuable, developing young player and one of the league's best sixth men, and add a much older guard whose best days are behind him and does not fit well.

Dallas doesn't need any help on offense, not at all. This trade would be bad for them, both in the short and long term. It actually makes a lot more sense for Portland to do the trade. It looks like they're giving up a lot of talent, but they would be getting considerable talent back without hurting their depth, which they seem to have too much of, anyway.

8. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

How can stackhouse sign back with the mavs? I thought after gary payton did that with the celtics a couple years ago they made a rule where you cant do that anymore. I think you might have to wait a certain amount of time before you could sign them again. Can anyone else confirm this?

9. Pocket Rockets

If a team trades a player and the player is waived by the receiving team, the player's original team cannot re-sign that player for 30 days (during the season) or 20 days (during the offseason) following the date of the trade.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Outlaw has been a stud this season and his clutch shooting late in games has been amazing. But here is the thing about Outlaw that concerns me (and this is just my opinion from watching him and seeing a couple of his interviews): I have a feeling he is in the bottom 10-20% of NBA players in IQ. Just my opinion. His athleticism and skills speaks for themselves.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is it that Mark Cuban is able to trade marginal trash for good players? He seems to come out on top a good number of times.

I do hope Morey can make some moves with some of our NBA talent that doesn't fit on this team......don't want players who can play wasting away and ruining chemistry.

DD

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Frye was a Knick last year, so I'm sure he had trouble getting minutes in Portland..

With that said, I can see how Portland would do this trade. Tolbert (I know, I know) said he talked to Blazers GM and GM said he hasn't had any discussions about the reported trade.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Might seem a steep price for Devin Harris. I'm not a fan of his play because he plays like a b!tch but this is a smart move by Pritchard.

1. They get a bona fide starting point guard. You get Harris and Roy in the same backcourt and you're set for at least the next 5 years.

2. They trade away Outlaw, Frye and Jack. That's a lot to take in but:
    -Outlaw, if he keeps on improving, would probably bolt when his current contract ends in 2 years as a UFA. This is an assumption based on the fact that both Roy and Aldridge's rookie contract ends at the same time (2009-10).
    -Frye, IMHO, was never going to be a part of this team anyways. I always thought of him as a bargaining chip Pritchard got in case something like this happens. They have Oden, Aldridge, Webster and even Przybilla is giving Portland good depth in the frontcourt.
    -Jack's days were numbered when they signed Blake.

3. Instead of dispersing cap room to 3 players that are redundant on the team (Outlaw and Webster are pretty much interchangeable; Frye is lost in the front court shuffle; Jack's not needed with Blake and Garcia and now Harris on board), they put it all into a young point guard that works well with their system.

This would be Pritchard's way of cutting costs BEFORE it's needed. Cut some salaries now so they can afford to re-sign Roy and Aldridge later. And to add in a point guard that you sorely need as well? Then add the fact that they would have only about $25 mill committed for the 09/10 season? They could then afford to add key veterans or make a run at any of the big names that comes out then (LeBron and Wade IIRC). Pritchard's a genius

As for what Dallas gets in return: Roll of a dice I'd say. Kidd might be the type of fiery player that gets the maximum out of Dirk and Howard. I think they have to do this not only to put them in the elite talks again but just to psych up a team that's been rammed up the ass the past two years in the postseason.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Harris is locked in until 2013. Portland, like people have been saying, is looking long term. They may end up looking like geniuses in a couple of years.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If he continues to improve like he has every year since joining the NBA, very true. I hate his sissified flopping like everyone else, but I admire the continual development of his game, including this year, AFTER he signed the big contract.

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

You're right, i stand corrected. That said, instead of portland he had trouble playing more than backup minutes for the Knicks, which is probably worse. The main point is that w/ Aldridge, Oden, and Przybilla, among others, FryE, was just going to have trouble ever getting major minutes there. He's a nice player but he is expendable.

17. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

devin harris is better than kidd right now...alot better

18. Asian Sensation

At this moment and time where Kidd is stuck on the lowly Nets yes. Trade a motivated Kidd to a contender and Harris couldn't touch Kidd on the day of his life.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kidd has been slacking off and will continue to do so until traded. He is a MUCH better player than Devin Harris and would make Dirk, Josh Howard and Jet Terry a lot more lethal on offense. If the Mavs get him and only give up Harris plus fluff, they instantly become the prohibitive favorite in the West. Kidd has forgot more about being a PG than Harris has learned.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That would be quite a run of point guards: going from Nash to Kidd, the 2 premier PGs in today's NBA.