1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Nets in three-way talks with Dallas and Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Jan 30, 2008.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...F?slug=aw-kiddtrade013008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The New Jersey Nets are in serious negotiations with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers about a blockbuster three-way trade that would send Jason Kidd to the Mavericks, league sources said Wednesday afternoon.

In the proposed trade, Dallas and Portland would send the Nets a package that includes the Mavs' Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and Blazers forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye and guard Jarrett Jack. Mavericks point guard Devin Harris would be sent to Portland. Along with Kidd, the Nets would send reserve forward Malik Allen and center Jamaal Magloire to Dallas.

The Nets would also receive at least one future No. 1 pick and cash. It's expected that New Jersey would work a buyout with Stackhouse and allow him to be a free agent. Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

The Record (N.J.) first reported Wednesday morning that the three teams were in discussions.

League sources say that Nets president Rod Thorn has been working the phones relentlessly since Kidd went public on Monday with his trade request. Thorn seems determined to get a deal done soon and may be looking to completely remake the Nets. He also has been dangling guard Vince Carter.

Kidd, 34, is making $19.7 million this season, and has one year left in on his contract at $21.4 million. Kidd The addition of Kidd could make the Mavericks sudden favorites in the West, where they have had two straight heart-breaking playoff runs and currently have the third-best record in the conference.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why would Portland do that?

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

not sure, but I don't think that will work out for little d so I don't care

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Devin Harris might be a nerd, but he's got skills...

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

outlaw/frye/jack for harris :confused:

no thanks. especially if portlands 1st pick is included in that

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

This trade would actually benefit us. Think about, we always seem to have trouble handling Dallas. Other than Jason "Rox Killer" Terry, players like Stackhouse, George, and Harris give us fits with their athleticism and shooting. If these three goons are gone, Kidd would be a breeze for us to handle. This would make one less competition for us in this crowded division.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't see how that helps Dallas. I hope they get it done.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Why would Portland trade Jack, Frye, and Outlaw for Harris?

That seems like a really bad trade.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Achilles heal of Jason Kidd will show up where ever he goes,
    he still can't shoot.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I don't see why on earth Portland would get rid of Travis Outlaw not to mention Jack and Frye when all they are getting back is Devin Harris. If I was a Blazers fan and this deal goes down like this, I would be irate along with being WTF??

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And - Stack opts to stay Deep in the Heart of Texas. Houston, that is.

But, seriously folks, does anyone think this 'deal' has any legs at all?

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I second that. Portland doesn't need a point guard do they??

Plus I would think with the chemistry that team has going on now, they hold out and wait for Oden next season. They keep up what they have going on they are a playoff team or a borderline playoff team which is something to say in the west.

In fact I am surprised that Dallas would want JKidd that bad either.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

id almost give tmac for jack frye and outlaw...and they only want harris. why dont they take stackhouse too. oh thats right they dont want players over 25

14. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Would he go back to Dallas? Can he do that?

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Whoa....Travis Outlaw is available? We would be VERY wise to place a call to Portland regarding Outlaw if these Kidd talks fail.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Or Portland. Sure, Harris can play, but aside from the fact he's currently injured, they are giving up Outlaw, who is having a mini-breakout season (at least continuing to improve), Frye, who is young and strikes me as a good backup to the eventual Oden/Aldridge frontcourt, and Jack, who is a serviceable PG....all for Harris?

Besides which, according to RealGM, the proposed trade does not work, and Devean George has some kind of trade veto right due to his bird status.

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

isn't there something like a 90 day period that he would have to wait until he would be able to sign back with dallas?

i think he would go back if he is traded to NJ and then released.

18. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

And the Nets still won't have a quality big man...

Man, this trade sucks.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Buyout Stackhouse? He only signed a $21 million 3 year extension at the beginning of this season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=344395

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was going to post that snippet so thanks for doing so, hooroo. Would be funny if Cuban basically gave up the same players mentioned in that "crack dealer" proposal to get Kidd.

That's a lot for Portland to give up, but they're looking like a smart organization that is looking to upgrade positions. When you survey the Western Conference landscape, you have to place a premium on getting a point guard.

With all due respect, I fail to see how losing Devin Harris and adding Jason Kidd would drop Dallas from being competition to us. Kidd and Terry compared to Rafer -- eek.