1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Dwight Howard: He’s determined to leave the Magic for the Nets,.........

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s2kboy16, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Orlando needs to cut bait, just like Denver did last year with Melo. Dump all of their bad contracts on NJ, get their pick, get Lopez, Brooks and Morrow (and maybe some salary fodder players). Then they can jump start the rebuilding.

Orlando trades:
    Howard
    Turkoglu
    Glen Davis
    Chris Duhon
    and maybe 3 players making the minimum

NJ trades:
    Brook Lopez
    2012 1st round pick (Lottery)
    MarShon Brooks
    Anthony Morrow
    Jordan Farmar
    Johan Petro
    Shawne Williams
    DeShawn Stephenson
    Damion Jones

2. passdarock

passdarock Member

Short from saying, "No, I will not resign with Orlando", Dwight has made it clear he has other options and does not intend on return.

With that said, the rockets should be busy working the phones with Nets and Orlando to be included in any deal.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why would the Nets make this trade at this point, if the article is to be believed? Their only fear should be the Lakers deciding to trade Bynum, Gasol + to steal Howard at the last minute - which is a possibility, though I think distinct.

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

The Nets may as well throw in a Ford Focus and the rights to the Prudential Center while they're at it!

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This is good news. While we obviously need a franchise player, it would be horrible if Dwight and/or Dwill ended up in Dallas or with another Western Conference team. Landing either of these guys is a long-shot; as long as they stay in the Leastern conference, I'm happy.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I can dig it, but the Magic part ways w/ 2 players and add 6?

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Exactly, they need to face the facts, let Howard leave and rebuild.

Unlike the other stars that have been moved around recently, I don't blame Howard. Why? Despite being a talented player at a position that doesn't exist anymore and doing everything for Orlando on both ends of the court, Otis Smith has yet to put together a strong team around Howard. Trading for Vince Carter and Arenas, poor drafting, taking back Turkoglu, and surronding with Howard with little more than 3-point shooters is a recipe for disaster.

9. JayZ750

Again, given the original article, why would the Nets do this? I can see them moving Lopez or Brooks if it nets them something in addition to Dwight, but just for Dwight? Why?

As the article notes, they are better off just waiting till the offseason.

Again, their only risk is one of the LA teams gets involved.

It seems clear Dwight is motivated to go to a REALLY big market team. Chicago is out because Rose is already there and Adidas won't like that. Miami is out (almost assuredly) because they have no cap room and it's unlikely the Magic are interested in Bosh. Dallas is a potential another offseason signing location, but just as easy, and better for him to sign with NJ, which can re-up Deron Williams by offering him the longer contract with more guaranteed money. That leaves the Lakers or Clippers, which after trading for Dwight have the location and surrounding talent to get him to sign long-term. The only deal with the Clippers that makes a ton of sense involves Blake, and its VERY hard to see the Clippers trading him. Not sure that DeAndre Jordan entices the Magic to move. So it's down to the Lakers. A package of Bynum, Gasol, plus other filler (future draft picks) should be pretty tempting to the Magic. But it does not appear as of yet that the Lakers are offering the combo (or did I miss that?).

That's my analysis as a Nets official. Risky, to be sure, to stand pat and still keep crossing your fingers. The Magic could come to you and say if you don't give us your best offer right now we're trading him to the Lakers, and maybe that gets you to act... or maybe you call the Magic's bluff...

While I recognize Lebron sold shoes when playing in Cleveland just as he likely does while playing in Miami, I do think there is a difference to the shoe-makers bottom line. Dwight playing in Brooklyn is a LOT different than Dwight playing in Orlando. It is likely enough of a difference to Adidas to offer him a Derrick Rose type endorsement contract ($200+ million) whereas in Orlando I don't think he sniffs that. Keep in mind Howard's shoe contract is up for renewal at the same time.

#49 JayZ750, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The trade doesn't hurt the Magic because they keep significant pieces while netting Scola to play with Howard and D-Will. Someone brought up the money Howard and Williams could save by signing an extension with the Nets and that alone could cement the reason why. The Nets could even make a run for the 8th spot in the playoffs (they are 4 games behind the Bucks).

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

He would blow up on Dancing with the Stars.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Magic don't want him to shut up and cut them off. Their management is probably talking to him as often as possible, asking him to stay. Dwight isn't constantly telling the media he wants to be traded, nor is he loafing on the court. You're basically saying a player can't have a dialogue with his team.

13. JoeBarelyCares

Because July 1st is a long ways away, a lot of time for Dwight to change his mind, especially if Orlando goes on a run and makes it to the finals. And if Dwight does not come, NJ will lose DWill to Dallas for nothing. So NJ still has something to be nervous about.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

They are building their franchise around him. They are making money off him. Every move they make, they make with him in mind.

You are telling me that Orlando won't be [expletive'd] if Dwight left?

Sure he has every right to leave but if they get nothing in return, that is the worst thing that can possibly happen to them as a franchise.

Imagine if Dream left Houston in the late 80s/early 90s. We would have been [expletive'd]

15. JoeBarelyCares

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If I'm Orlando, I'd try to get Lopez, Brooks and their lotto pick. That may not be equal value but it is some nice pieces to build around.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Of course they would be ****ed if he left. But he isn't doing anything ****ed up. Those are not the same thing.

They aren't entitled to get anything in return. HE IS A UPCOMING FREE AGENT. If you want something in return for a guy who may leave then you have to give to get. The old teams get something in return for helping the player get something at his new destination. It's not Howard's responsibility to make sure Orlando gets something from his upcoming free agency. The only thing the old team can offer is more money or getting you to your preferred destination. If Howard's preferred destination has the cap space to sign him and he doesn't care about the $$ difference then sorry Orlando. Why the hell should he hurt his title chances with his new team to help his old team?

For sure. Luckily for us we properly built around him and convinced him not to bounce when he and the owner got into it. And at the end of the day, we still traded him over $$.

18. JayZ750

that's true. the Magic wanting the Lakers to rekindle their interest is no surprise. as i noted they are the only real competitor, it seems.

I assume you meant Nets, not Magic... but don't see Scola listed in your proposal. Also, I imagine the last thing they really in their heart of heart want is a push for the playoffs. They clearly want Dwight. They'll take more lotto picks, too.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And boom just like that, who would of thought 3 years ago that there would be so much change in the nba so quickly? Cavs, magic, hornets, nuggets, raptors, jazz and the suns would all be the victim's of they're own allstars. A damn shame it is.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No i'm not.

I'm saying he can just tell them the truth, that he's either leaving regardless or that he'll have an answer for them once he's a FA. Asking for a trade once or 20 times, same thing, he's not honoring his contract, period. He doesn't have to put out lists or ask them do do anything, assuming his mind is really made up, which i think it is.

He's the girlfriend who has no intention of staying with a guy, but says maybe she will, and has him do and guy things for her to try to keep her. She's leading him on, and in my book, that's not right.