1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

yeah I think so.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If it is Morey's will it will be so.

I just sacrificed a goat to Him.

2 people like this.
  3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think Woj always has been a reliable source, but still it's just a rumor.

4. tofu--

tofu-- Member

OMG YES PLEASE

5. Htown's2kFinest

damn they need to get a GM already.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

so you don't want to give up too much and you still want a role player back.. :eek:

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

perhaps the real reason that we traded ariza for lee was for the $6.x million TPE - with which we could absorb j.r. smith's contract.

If we send the minimum salary back, something like jeffries + budinger + hill + patpat + taylor + picks, and we absorb JR smith's contract with the TPE, denver would drop below the tax threshold

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I maintain that sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. I don't hate the idea of Carmelo becoming a Rocket, but I'm not 100% sold on it being a good one.

1 person likes this.
  10. albuster

albuster Member

This is the all time great post!!LOL!!

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

12. Blunt

Blunt Member

Morey is so genius he makes everyone stupid around him lol jk.

I only see one negative result of melo coming to Houston,
    Bandwagon

Morey is stalking his pray, waiting for the perfect time to pounce in a rape. :cool:

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, it all depends on what is going to cost us if we get him, so you could be right. I would just say Melo is the closer that Houston has always coveted, the big cahuna that could lead this team to a chip, over say....Bosh (never was I excited to see that cat in red).

14. liljojo

liljojo Member

We wouldn't be restructuring our team. As long as he's on the floor, Yao is always our first option. I'm not saying that Yao's a better player, but he is the best offensive post player in the NBA. If you have a choice between giving Yao the ball in the post and giving Melo the ball on the wing, you go with Yao every time, (Holy cow, those are some nice options) so arguably, Melo is our #2 as well.

In general, though, I agree that the sooner he gets here, the faster we'll be ready for playoffs. However, if waiting till the deadline allows us to keep major assets, I'd rather see what Morey can cook up with those assets in the future than give Melo a few extra weeks to adjust.

Besides, we'll have plenty of time to practice after we sweep Dallas out of the playoffs.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think people will understand your stance unless you repeat this approximately 127 more times. ;)

Carmelo has his warts for sure, but he's an elite player. My guess is you would fear the Rockets losing their identity of the scrappy competitors who were surprisingly fun to watch in what should have been a lost year.

My thought is, Allen Iverson took a team of role players to the NBA Finals. Melo probably isn't quite the scoring talent of AI in his prime, but his flaws are easier to work around in a lot of ways. Prior to the Billups acquisition (which of course turned into a WCF run), Denver had a curious knack for surrounding Melo with more and more players who probably don't quite complement him...an undersized 4 with a 'tude in Martin, questionable characters like Birdman, chuckers like AI and JR Smith -- yet they continued to make the playoffs.

I have a lot of confidence in Morey's ability to surround a superstar with complementary parts. Hell, he did it for McGrady -- the roster transition from the David Wesley/Ryan Bowen days has been tremendous -- he just didn't realize McGrady's body would start falling apart at age 28. Get Melo on an extension and give Morey a couple years to tweak the roster. The possibilities are endless.

4 people like this.
  16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

i hate quoting myself, but actually we wouldn't even have to send back minimum salary, we could send battier+jeffries+one or two of the young guys+ picks and that would cover it.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

As do I (have confidence) but that is exactly what I fear... at this point there isn't a single player on this roster that I believe will cause drama of the "he who should not be named" kind. I just think that a player basically forcing his management team to trade him or lose him for nothing is the kind of guy that brings that drama with his talent.

I also think that Melo's success if very dependent on his having the ball in his hands more often than not. This team, if it expects to get far, is not going to be able to do be "a Kobe-like coattail" sort of team... it will have to be far more dependent on a team concept, like Adelman's teams have been in the past.

I do think that Melo is somewhat coachable... or Coach K wouldn't have let him stay on Team USA. So I'm not completely convinced he would be a drama queen, but like a man who cheats to be with you is going to cheat on you... a guy who uses drama to get himself on your team is likely to try to use drama to get himself off (see example - McGrady, Tracy)

18. jvu

jvu Member

Lol first of all... Who quotes they're own post? haha

Second... I concur, melo is a super star! No way we get away that easy!

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is not really the situation though. It's that Carmelo has not signed the extension. I think this is more of Denver realizing that there is little chance that Carmelo will re-sign.

20. Htown's2kFinest

hope he doesn't listens to his wife and chooses to play here instead of NY or LA. last time I can remember a player taking his wife's advice and going to a city she likes, it didn't turn out so well.

[​IMG]

should of went to portland :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.