1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo]Bucks to decline Alexander’s rookie option

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Melechesh, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did any of them actually end up being brought back more cheaply than the rookie scale? Not Korolev and not OBryant as far as I remember.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, that has been done in the past with players who get injured in their contract year (Alexander is rehabbing a nasty hamstring injury right now). But I don't think that has ever been done with a top 10 pick before. Plus, the Bucks expect to have little (if any) cap room, so re-signing Alexander (who, mind you, will be an UNRESTRICTED free agent) will be tough, unless the Bucks can easily get him for (a) the league minimum, (b) a portion of the MLE, (c) the LLE, or (d) whatever cap room they have available. My guess is that Alexander would not want to sign for the minimum with the team that just showed a total lack of confidence in him. Other teams will surely offer him the minimum, perhaps even their LLE or a portion of their MLE. I just don't see Alexander coming back to Milwaukee after they did him like that.

Neither Korolev nor O'Bryant were brought back to their respective teams at any salary. They were simply let go. If the Bucks re-sign Alexander, it would probably set a new precedent for handling slow-to-develop lottery picks in this new economic landscape. But I just don't see it. See above.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

No BBall IQ

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Here's a related random Rockets-Bucks trade that I didn't want to start a thread about in the GARM:

First off, let me say that I am not necessarily in favor of making the following trade AT ALL. I am simply tossing out the idea of a trade that I think COULD be made right now if Les and Morey wanted to. So, if you were Les Alexander, would you make the following trade:

Joe Alexander and Kurt Thomas
    for
    Brian Cook

This trade can be accomplished by trading Cook ($3.5M) for Thomas ($3.8M) and using the trade exception from the Steve Francis deal last year to acquire Alexander ($2.58M).

PROS: The Rockets get an immediate upgrade at the center position for this year with the addition of Thomas AND they get a young player with some potential who obviously didn't have a future with Milwaukee. Despite the article in the OP, if this trade is made on or before Monday (Nov. 2) and Houston believed enough in Alexander's potential, the Rockets could exercise the team option on Alexander for 2010-11 and keep him in the fold. Obviously, it is a major talent upgrade for the Rockets, getting a potential starter in exchange for essentially their 15th man. Plus, Thomas (and if his option isn't picked up by the Rockets, Alexander) has an expiring contract, so it might not affect the Rockets' cap room next summer.

CONS: This trade would cost Les Alexander (and save the Bucks) approximately $5.77M this year (or more, if the Rockets would have otherwise been able to get under the tax threshold). The Rockets would then kiss any chance of avoiding the luxury tax goodbye. Also, if they picked up Alexander's team option, it would further reduce the team's cap room by about $2.7M. Also, while the deal can be accomplished as a straight 2-for-1, the Rockets would need to either throw in a low-salaried player (Jermaine Taylor? Joey Dorsey?) or waive a player (most likely either Dorsey or Pops).

Discuss.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am thinking the Rockets will pass on such a deal. Alexander may have potential, but under the circumstances, I don´t think it´s worth almost $6 million to find out. Kurt Thomas may be a useful piece somewhere, but I think this team is focus on having guys who can help both this year and later. Thomas seems to be on his last legs.

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the Rockets not being interested, I disagree with you about Thomas. Unfortunately, his "last legs" are probably better than most of our centers' current legs. I think a guy like Kurt Thomas could be a difference maker in the Rockets making the playoffs or not. There's a lot of additional revenue that comes from making the playoffs, even it's for only two home games.

7. worzel gummidge

Hammond seems to value Thomas or at least he claims to. The Bucks need more defense and he'd also fit as a Skiles type player.

IMO, Ukic in place of Thomas appears more likely. Ukic was a throw in, in the Delfino trade.

A 6-5 PG with streetball moves and a Spurs-killing game makes him interesting for me. Obviously there's a catch, his rookie year was disappointing, enough for one GM to give up on him.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Unfortunately for the Bucks, they need $5.77M more than they need Kurt Thomas this year.

As for the Ukic variation, why would the Bucks trade away two young players with potential, either of which could still emerge as a quality player down the stretch of a year in which the Bucks are not making the playoffs, in exchange for a scrub like Cook when it would only save the team about $433k? It simply wouldn't be worth it to Milwaukee. I'm sure they could find a taker for Ukic plus cash near the trade deadline without having to take back dead weight like Cook.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bima,

Are you sure he is unrestricted?

I assumed he was still a restricted free agent.

DD

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There might be another way to get Thomas - that is, just trade Cook + $3million for Thomas and not have to worry about picking up EXTRA salary along the way.

Bucks get some cash and we get a 'big man'.

It's the kind of deal that'd probably only go down for us later in the season (if we looked like making the playoffs).

Alexander would be a waste of time UNLESS Morey for some reason thought he was a potential star in the making.

I doubt it - Alexander is rubbish - can't shoot and doesn't know how to defend.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36