1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y Sports Radio] Calvin Murphy: Jeremy Lin Needs The Ball In His Hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's always on the coach.

If Harden was going out of his way to take the ball out of the PGs hand that would be a pretty big deal and I think we would have heard about it from a long time. But McHale doesn't ever say much about it so that tells me they are fine with it and as Harden says he has the greenlight and they just let him do anything he wants to do which is a good way to spoil a young player.

Hopefully they reign him in and create some kind of offensive plan for the team...I doubt it though with McHale. If he wants to be a really good coach it's time for him to learn some X and Os, lock himself in a room and make that commitment himself.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

KD is a good spot up 3pt shooter.

3. albuster

albuster Member

Does anybody have any info on some of the details of that players' only meeting that the team just had? I am asking because it would be great to have an insight as to whether this topic of Lin not having the ball in his hands to play his pg role was ever discussed.
    Some posters here stated that there was some calling out between players but the details were a bit vague. Anyway, I totally agree with CM having seen how MJ's game evolved and became deadlier when Phil Jackson made him change from having the ball most of the time and trusting his team mates to initiate and make plays themselves. Maybe McHale might want to consult with PJ about how to use Harden and Lin.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Finally somebody with knowledge of the game saying what everybody feels is becoming a problem: Harden with too much iso plays, trying to do it himself and Lin having to play out of position. This is on McHale and partly on James. This is why whoever thinks this duo will not work are right when they keep playing this way. It is weird to me that just because we are building our franchise around James everybody feels he needs the ball in his hands. Did you see Olajuwon play PG, initiate the offense or have the ball all the time? No. Harden can still create something when he's playing off the ball, coaches probably just don't know how.

5. delta69er

delta69er Member

Lin's testicles apparently

6. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

1. As great as LeBron is, he still tries to get his teammates involved all the time, that's why he assists a lot. Although PPatt might not in the position to call out Harden for his too-many ISOs, there is a certain truth in his comment. And it's not just PPatt felt that way. The veteran Delfino also mentioned that in his interview and his tweet that we need to play more team ball than heroball. Too much heroball without teammates involved will lead to teammates also losing interest and intensity on their defense.

2. Harden is in a slump. How do you know it's not because he is asked to do too much, played too many mins and thus too tired to still remain efficient?

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

well d'antoni tried using melo as point-forward and that was a disaster.

last i checked, durant get his ball off of screens and set plays and in the flow of the offense, in spots that he likes, rather than initiate and finishing iso plays 75% of the time.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Assists per game leaders among non PGs

1. Lebron
    2. Harden

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Delfino is part of the problem.

The ball sticks to him as much as it does any one else and on a fastbreak good luck. He rather keep it himself and he runs the break horribly. I mean it's usually always a turnover or a bad shot...

10. SunsRocketsfan

mchale sucks... i would take both failed lakers coaches over mchale..

Mike Brown or Pringles.. at least they have a offense.. Mchale is just put the ball in Hardens hand for one on one iso.. ARGH

11. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before. I just read the opening post and didn't read any comments.

What are the chances of Murphy coaching The Rockets? Would he be a good coach?

I think he would be a great coach and would be very happy to have him as the coach of The Rockets. He would need to switch up the wardrobe like Steve Harvey though.

12. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Some big booties.

13. conquistador#11

could you imagine craig sager interviewing murphy just before halftime? :eek:

14. PointGuardRocks

I wouldnt say deferring. if lin pass the ball to u. u can pass it back. If you can't create or get a good shot off. one reason for lin success last season was. His teammates will pass the ball back to him because they knew they will get it back if they were open.
    And what happened. u get lots of ball movement because everyone wants to run around and get to an open spot.

15. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

1. LeBron: Usage Rate 27.8 Assist Ratio: 22.6
    2. Harden: Usage Rate 27.5 Assist Ratio: 17.2
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/usageRate

You can see: although Harden is second behind LeBron, but with almost same usage, LeBron is doing far more assists.

Don't get me wrong. By this LeBron assists comparison, I'm not in anyway knocking on Harden. My previous was just replying to a poster's comment saying that Harden is still not doing enough ISOs :rolleyes:

I'm extremely happy to have Harden and in fact I think he should take the most shots on our team far more than other players. But that doesn't mean his shots should be in all ISO style. For the sake of the team and his teammates, he needs to reduce his ISOs a bit . I actually don't blame him. I blame our coaching for relying too much on him and his ISOs.

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Nah - McHale has his hands on Lin's testicles - and is squeezing tightly

17. TTNN

TTNN Member

That's because Harden is playing PG......

18. atwood

atwood Member

turnover per game

2 James Harden , HOU 3.9
    24 LeBron James , MIA 2.8

19. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

awww, it hurts, damn.

20. rockets13champs

i feel mchale is the biggest issue