1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! Sports' Marc Spears on Knicks, James, Wade] These guys aren't coming, man

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/playe...L1HQm8vLYF#nba/Y_Sports_NBA_Coverage/18318201

Video with Larry Biel and Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports on Knicks and their hope of landing Lebron James or D. Wade.

Biel started talking and Spears quickly injected that these guys are not coming because the Knicks suck and won't offer a better situation than the one they are in already. Spears added that Knicks will more likely end taking J. Johnson or get R. Gay or the C. Boozer with their cap space. Spears sure sounds pretty certain of it.

I sure hope Spears is right for the sake of the Rockets draft position. Given the depleted state of the Knicks, I can't see how a couple of 2nd/3rd tier star can turn the ship around completely.

2. Htown's2kFinest

3. devilsdandruff

2011 lotto
    =)

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is what I have been thinking...Gay and Boozer will make them a decent team but not anywhere near a championship level squad, while taking years to bring in good role players around those guys. Those picks will look very attractive to whoever ends up with them.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Well, I think they have a 50/50 shot at landing Bosh.
    Joe Johnson will probably stay in Atlanta, unless they let him go.

They do however have a LEGIT shot at getting Boozer & Gay, and thats the road I think they will go for.
    Gay clearly wants out and he will go where the most money is at.
    Same is for Boozer.
    I see them landing both Boozer and Gay, then building with veteran pieces around them. Maybe try to get a Steve Nash.

Im not sure if they'll be able to keep Lee though, but this lineup will definitely make the playoffs in the EAST:

Veteran PG
    Gallinari
    Gay
    Boozer
    Lee or Veteran C

Thats a 6th seed in the East IMO. Which would give the Rockets a top 17 pick which I would love to have.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Joe Johnson is Arn Tellem's client. For Arn to do the armtwisting with Walsh to get Walsh to give up the draft picks for McGrady indicates to me that he told Walsh he is going to push Joe Johnson to the Knicks. I suspect this has to be the case.

So, the scenario unfolds. Joe Johnson signed and traded to the Knicks. Atlanta gets a huge trade exception plus possibly a draft pick. Maybe the Knicks get lucky and get the top pick and have a backcourt of Wall and Johnson. But at least they get Joe Johnson and probably another player out of the draft, probably a big if they do not land Wall. Still spells mediocrity unless they get Bosh, Amare, or another premier FA.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think two 2nd tier free agents might be good enough to get them close to the playoffs.

8. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

I don't think they will have the cap space to sign 2 Max and David Lee. So if they get two max guys lets just say Gay Boozer....

Gay Boozer plus a bunch of min contracts doesn't equal a playoff team.. even in the East.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The knicks getting Johnson and Boozer would be the best case scenario for us. Sure, they'd be pretty good for the east, but their defense would simply be awful. We might still get a good pick out of them. Plus, taking Boozer would weaken Utah, which is a plus any way you slice it.

10. BasketballReasons

Utah couldn't care less about Boozer. They will get Favors or Cousins.. And at worst they could land Wall :(

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Strange situation for Tellem. Joe Johnson gets more exposure from NY but more money in Atlanta. I'm sure he'll try to engineer an S&T, but the Knicks have nothing at all to offer.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

that pick belongs to the Utah JAZZHOLES.....

--RB

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Gay is a RFA, even if he wants to leave Memphis it will be up to them.

It's entirely possible they make a offer to Gay....Grizz wait until the last second to match said offer...and Knicks only end up with Boozer.

Who knows if Joe Johnson will resign with the Hawks, they are doing pretty good right now, a playoff run and no way he leaves that team for New York.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Saying the Knicks suck so they won't get those are guys isn't saying much. Of course they suck now but if they can somehow convince two of those guys to come to New York they would not suck.

Let's not act like LeBron's supporting cast is great. Well actually with the addition to Jamison it has improved, but I wouldn't rule out NY yet. I still think he will stay in Cleveland.

If NY can get Joe Johnson/Boozer or Joe Johnson/Amare we most likely won't get a good pick with their pick because they are in the East and the East doesn't seem to be improving.

15. jopatmc

Gay is not getting a max contract. Boozer either. If any team gives either one of these guys a max deal, you can bank on it, they are stuck in mediocrity. These guys will not play well enough or influence their team enough to justify a max salary. Once James, Wade, Bosh, and Joe Johnson have gotten theirs, all the rest of the players are going to be looking at limited purses. Nobody wants to sign any players outside of James, Wade, Bosh, and possibly Joe Johnson by themselves. They will want to sign them as a pairing with one of James, Wade, and Bosh primarily.

The money in the league is too tight right now. Amare is going to fly away to Miami once Wade re-signs. Max guys Lebron, Wade, probably Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, and maybe Amare....if Miami really wants him. I don't think most teams will even offer Amare the max. Boozer and Rudy Gay???? Come on man. Those guys are second to third tier stars. There's a dozen Rudy Gays in the league....maybe two dozen. I wouldn't even trade Kevin Martin for him. And Martin is making $10 million per. Whoever pays Gay $10 million or more is foolish. Boozer??? Another second to third tier star. He shouldn't get as much as Millsap is making based on his age and his need to be surrounded by other star/superstar players to be effective.

16. jopatmc

You're right. Thanks for correcting that. Knicks are looking at Joe Johnson and Tracy McGrady next season. And frankly, I don't see them bring back McGrady.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

And the good news is if they do happen to work out a S&T, then the NYKs will be an even worse team by trading away some of the few good pieces they do have which means better picks for us!

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You're scenario is impossible, unless David Lee signs for the vet minimum or Gay and Boozer split a max contract.

Expand your NBA cap knowledge by reading BimaThug posts.

19. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i thought it was well-understood that Utah is getting NY's 1st rounder this year.

20. BasketballReasons

Doubt Gay & Boozer will get Max contracts.

However, is Lee happy in NY? Or will he bolt?