1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XBox vs. PS2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

2 days ago, my sister surprised me by giving me a XBox for Christmas. I was telling her I wanted one as a joke but she actually went all out and bought me one!

Anyways, I just wanted your input on either keeping the system or returning it and get a PS2 instead. I for one wants a system that is going to be out for the long run. From what I have read and heard, XBox may be a failure like Dreamcast. Sure it has a some good games that came out when it launch but what games are going to come out in the future?

One of the reviews on some site said it best: "XBox is perfect for a HARDCORE gamer, but its challenge is to attract a moderate gamer that only plays once in awhile". I fit in the category that would only plays his games once in awhile. Just a few months ago, I bought me a Dreamcast just to entertain me until the PS2 price drops. Well, looks like I can get both now.

To describe my taste, here we go. I am mainly a arcade fighting/sports type player. Not at ALL into the RPG, first person shooting games. They are plenty of games that I would want on PS2 but not on XBox. I cant really judge that because XBox has barley been out for a month and the PS2 has been out for more than a year already. I dont care bout the DVD capability because I already have a player. The online capability doesnt matter to me either.

XBox may have the power in the hardware but the thing that really counts is what games are coming out for it. PS2 would be cool also cuz I could still play my PS1 games.

Any input/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

3. mduke

mduke Member

I have the PS2, and it is awesome. I think you should return it. but either way, you're gonna get a good gaming system.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

aren't there also a limited number of games for the XBox?? I know there are hundreds of games for PS2... that alone would deter me from getting an XBox...

It's funny D2000... you jokingly asked for one and got it, I jokingly asked for one and didn't get one, but was scared that I did. The box under the tree was a DVD Player instead!! whew...

rH

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

X-Box.

MS has done a great job of lining up talent for their game console.

They have some great games available now, and it will only get better.

Not to mention the X-box has the newest hardware and is superior to the PS2 in every way, and therefore will have a longer lifespan from this point forward.

DD

6. red

red Contributing Member

dont be a wuss...be like me and get both...and the dreamcast which i love...and while your at it go buy a gamecube and play rogue squadron...mmmmm...i need to leave work and go home and play...

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

X-Box Rox!

I really enjoy mine. I have to say that I was never a big first person shooter, but HALO on XBOX is amazing and very fun. It draws you in and then you have lost 4-5 hours of your day/night.

The selection of games is not nearly as limited as some would say.

If you like fighting Dead or Alive 3 looks pretty sweet. I have not played it though.

[​IMG]

Go To www.xbox.com to see a complete list of games, go rent some from Blockbuster and see what you think. If you like sports get Madden 2002, really nice graphics and I thought it looked better than PS2 did.

Complete List of Games
    http://www.xbox.com/Games/catalog.htm

The biggest features to me are:

1. Built-In Hard Drive which allows for very smooth games and QUICK load times, much faster than PS1/PS2.

2. Built-In Ethernet adapter. I have already used it to play HALO online at www.gamespy.com

3. It is made by Microsoft which has 30billion plus cash in the bank and is partnered with numerous software companies.

So far I don't have many complaints. The only thing I haven't enjoyed so far is that after you leave the system running for a day or two because you are in the middle of a Madden 2002 game it will error out with a "Unable to Read Disc error" Then I just turn it off and back on and it is ok.

Also I had a controller go bad on me but Wal-Mart replaced it.

Anyone else had any bugs?

I would say keep it and get some games and enjoy!

Halo Pic
    [​IMG]

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I dont see a whole difference between them , PS2 was supposed to have more games but XBox has done very well gathering 3rd party Games , Just be thankful you have one or the other .

9. Dave2000

Yea I was surprised as hell. I actually got a little nervous and thought that she didnt get me one. She gave me a card at first, but then the card said "Look under your bed for your gift". I looked under it and saw it in an Old Navy bag. I was pissed at her cuz I was just joking but later on appreciated what she did. I mean, she spent more on me than my parents did. But she just graduated college last year and is working at a good oil company. Than GOD she went to that company because she passed up Enron after working there for a month in Febuary. :D

10. Dave2000

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I may end up keeping the Xbox and just buy a PS2 when the price goes down.

Now here is a new debate, which game should I get first?

I have narrow my choices to SSX Tricky, Halo, Madden 2002, NHL Hitz, and NFL Fever 2002.

Also, the hard drive in the Xbox, does it allow to save games? I heard that it doesnt need a memory card since it has the hard drive but i still see that they are selling 8MB memory cards for it.

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

W3C5, those images are awesome. I can't believe how smooth the graphics are... like look at the legs on that girl in the red dress, smooth, no polygons... that's pretty impressive.

rH

12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I know. Now if I only had a bigass widescreen HDTV. I got a nice 32" tv now, but how sweet it would be...

Dave2000 - I would say get HALO and play it at night with all the lights off. Then tell me that you don't hate the Covenant! :D

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would get Amped if I were you. Everyone raves about that game....including myself. The replay value is outstanding and it is just a flat out fun game to play. You can mix in your own music to the game as well. I would also get Halo. How can you not get Dead or Alive 3 if your a fighter type of guy :confused: ?

#13 Surfguy, Dec 27, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2001
  14. Dave2000

Well, I liked DOA 2 on Dreamcast but got tired of it after like less than a day. So I am not really high on this one. Plus the fighting games I like are the traditional ones like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tekken series, etc....

15. red

red Contributing Member

wink3cat5...i got me a 43' HDTV 16:9 and let me tell you this...go get one...video gaming has never been better...with no APR for a year it affordable...

Dave2000...go with halo and if you need to get a sports title wait for the sega series...nfl2k2 and nba2k2 for the xbox...far better than the madden and EA series...and wait for soul caliber for fighting game...not sure if its coming to xbox but thats why you get a ps2 or gamecube...

:D

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Manequins turn you on, don't they HEAD?! :D

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

SSX Tricky...any game that features Run DMC is 'da bomb'!!!

It's actually not that much different than the first SSX game, but it's still pretty cool to play.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My PC sucks so instead of upgrading my machine I just bought an Xbox for gaming. I'm a big sports gamer so my first game was NBA Live 2002. The graphics are sweet but the gameplay is ehh...bad. Live 2002 is too arcadish for my liking - there's absolutely no defense. Even on superstar level trading dunks and layups with your opponent gets old. I'll trade it in for NBA 2k2 in January.

As a sports gamer, I have little interest in other types of games, but I did get Max Payne. I've heard its exactly like the PC version so I recommend it to anyone who does not have it.

Dave2000, there's plenty of space to save games on the hard drive. The memory cards are optional for users who would like to transport their games to other consoles. There are other ways to transport games - I think a maximum of 4 Xbox's can be linked together and once Microsoft launches its online gaming network in Summer or Fall 02 you could just send saved games to anyone with an Xbox.

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Don't return it!!!!!!! It was a gift. :)

20. Dave2000

Thanks again guys.

I am going to borrow Madden 2002 and DOA 3 from a friend of mine today and probably going to Hollywood Video to borrow Halo and SSX Tricky.

Anybody know where they sell these games cheap? Right now Circuit City has a 10% off sale on all games but thats all i heard so far. They had Simpsons Road Rage at Fry's yesterday for $30 but not a big fan of the Crazy Taxi, which was a clone of.

Soul Caliber is coming out on XBox, the same time is coming out on the other systems. I am a BIG Tekken fan and hope it comes out on XBox also. I already have NBA 2K2 on Dreamcast, and IT IS AWESOME, and believe it doenst even compare to Live. NBA Inside Drive 2002 is suppose to be pretty good, but who knows.