1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Been playing the campaign the last few weeks and it's a fun game and feels like a classic fps, just like the Doom of old. Fairly light on story but heavy on the action. If you stop to take cover, you're dead. Game's pretty beautiful too, all the classic weapons are there and the gory kills and weapon upgrades are a nice touch. I don't know if I'd recommend dropping 60 for it (I got basically for free with gift cards) but it's definitely worth a play at some point.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do know that u can use external HDs with the XB1? They actually give u better performance.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

And cheaper. Just make sure it's a 3.0 USB which is easy because I don't think I've seen any T Drives that are not. I got a 3 T hard drive on sale for $39 at walmart 2 months back. Plugged it in and that was that.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, lucky you. Ive been waiting on a good deal for an external hard drive to solely dedicate to the xbox but I seem to be missing out on them.

$39 for a 3tb is a hell of a deal.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3 terabytes?

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Project Scorpio. Will we have true 4K gaming? Can't wait to see Sony's response. They are gonna have to beef up their specs considerably

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Yes, It was at the Crockett store. Got it the second I saw the price even though I had already bought a 2TB for 89 I believe.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wow great deal!

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

To be fair although Microsoft has actually given numbers and a date, Sony announced their new hardware before MS. It is codenamed "Neo", and will also be 4k capable from my understanding.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It seems both companies are wanting to adopt a smartphone like cycle with their respective consoles, so it would be only a matter of time till Sony caught up regardless I'm sure

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone remembers my conversation previously in this thread about my TV not picking up my XBox One signal immediately over HDMI when I went through my start-up sequence on my HT? I went on an educated guess through trial-and-error that the HDMI inputs/outputs were acting up in my A/V receiver. To make a long story short, it took upwards of 7 - 8 minutes for my TV to finally pick up my signal to where I got display and sound. So, I finally decided to jettison the receiver in lieu of a new one.

I saw a good deal yesterday on a receiver for an Onkyo TX-NR656 where the savings was $200 off at Nebraska Furniture Mart so I picked it up (Onkyo TX-NR656 for $400...regular $600). Coincidentally, it is replacing an Onkyo that had the problems. So, it's a gamble on how the new model holds up over time I guess. That...or something else was going on with the A/V receiver it was replacing.

The new receiver fixed the problem. Now everything cuts on instantly and I don't have to wait 7 minutes and turn my TV on/off to get a TV signal/video display and sound.

PROBLEM SOLVED! MINUTES WASTED WAITING ON HOME THEATER TO TURN ON EVERY DAY...ONE MILLION...ERR...ONE TRILLION MINUTES! ;)

#1793 Surfguy, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Project Scorpio will run at more that 6 teraflops - which is astounding.

As a comparison, a current generation GTX 980 Ti runs at 6.5 teraflops and the PS4 runs 1.84 teraflops and the PS Neo will be 4.19 teraflops. The Xbox One is 1.3 teraflops, and the Xbox One S is 1.43 teraflops respectively... so the boost in power for the Scorpio will be unreal.

The NEO will run a GPU with 4.19 teraflops of power, while Project Scropio will be at least 6 teraflops. From what I've read from major developers, the NEO has enough power to deliver "moderately intensive 4K content" while the Scorpio's 6 teraflops are more than enough for max 4K gaming at current development standards.

What this doesn't take into consideration is 4K VR. It is unlikely that either will be able to push 4K VR, as that is projecting 2x 4K screens. However, Microsoft may have some tricks up their sleeves with the hardware chip sets they've customized for Hololens.

In all actuality, Microsoft is treating the Xbox One like a PC platform - since it really is at this point. It runs an x86 processor, and the very same Windows 10 kernel as a PC, which gives them huge power moving forward. I am betting that the Scorpio will have USB-3, which will allow for a modular add-ons, such ass additional GPU enclosures like the Razer Core and ASUS XG Station 2. The driver sets already exist for Windows 10 desktop, so it makes sense.

In short, people should start thinking of the Xbox as an affordable, and hands off gaming PC.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

So the Scorpio is new hardware, and it sounds like I will need to replace my xbox one for about $500. I'm good with that. Keeping my games is ok but I don't really care. I reckon I need to figure out what a teraflop is lol. My biggest concern is all the microtransactions trend and if I need those to enhance my enjoyment I'll be less happy, but such is life.

Are the game developers waiting for the power of 6 terflops and can they immediately take advantage of it at no cost? Or will they need time to catch up and they need to invest resources into it?

15. Svpernaut

The Scorpio will play all the same games - and games released for Scorpio, will also work on Xbox One and Xbox One S, just with higher settings and other capabilities (like VR). Heck, you can play nearly 250 Xbox 360 games on Xbox One now, and Xbox Play Anywhere is going to expand to be more than Microsoft published titles.

Also, I wouldn't get your hopes up on the Scorpio being cheap. It will include a VR headset of some type, and be an extremely expensive piece of hardware itself. I think $500-600 is a low-end estimate for Scorpio, but they could sell it at a loss and make it up on content.

Micro-transactions aren't going to go away. There was a post on reddit last week about Battlefield 1 being $130 for the entire game, and someone broke it down in a way that made more sense.

$60 has been the going rate for new video games since the days of at least PS1, but for the sake of it, let's say 2001 for the PS2/Xbox days. $60 in 2000 is $81.53 today.

Now, add on the fact that most games today come with countless hours of online gameplay (including game servers that aren't free to run on the backend) - something that really didn't exist back then.

Now I am not defending microtransactions and pay to win as a whole, but it does make more sense to me in that light.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

First off, no it won't run 4K VR. No way, no how, period. (Upscaling doesn't count)
    Secondly, if it can do 4k gaming above 30fps consistently I will be shocked. I certainly don't expect 60fps in medium detailed games. I realize you work for Microsoft, but you're drinking a bit too much of the kool-aid here.

Specs on paper almost never work out as advertised, I don't expect it to be different here. Though I am anticipating a novel about how wrong I am, and how it will totally do every single thing Microsoft is promising even though there's basically been 0 history of console makers keeping their promises when it comes to performance levels.

17. Svpernaut

I haven't worked for Microsoft in over two years, just going by what I've read and heard from devs. You are also looking at it from a PC VR perspective. Microsoft can certainly produce a development package to get peak performance on their specific hardware that would allow for 4K VR - 6 teraflops is a lot to work with, not a ton, but a lot. Don't underestimate the genius of Alex Kipman and his team.

It is all speculation at this point, but it isn't beyond the realm of possibilities that they could do it. I encourage you to look into the chip-set customization they did with the Hololens... I have no doubt that hey have tricks up their sleeves. Also, as I mentioned, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that external GPUs via Thunderbolt will be supported as well.

That's the Point. The Xbox One is a PC now, the possibilities are nearly endless... that is the entire reason they've made the push to the Universal Windows Apps platform.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sip sip sip. You can babble about technical magic all you like, it's not going to happen. It won't be capable of 4K vr.

19. Svpernaut

It is impossible for you to say that, as you have no idea how their VR will work. Will it be Samsung Gear VR, or HTC Vive levels of detail? We simply don't know, but we can make some educated guesses off of information we have which is:

• 6 Teraflops of GPU power - Equivlent to higher end GPUs (Titan X is 7 teraflops)
    • 320GB of Memory Bandwidth - They aren't doing that for overkill

Some have said that the Xbox One was under-powered, and then Microsoft released Halo 5 at constant 60fps (with some fancy engineering), and miraculously more developers are learning how to use the power too. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't deliver similar techniques in VR scenario. EuroGamer even has a theory that they'll used a vega-based GPU.

Even if it can't do 4k VR, it could do extremely highly detailed HDR with upscaling - we just don't know. I do know, that Microsoft is playing this one close to it's chest which leads me to believe more surprises are in store.

I am guessing big unknown surprises could be custom-made chip sets, and custom code from the team that developed Hololens. It also isn't beyond possibility that hey could offload some of the processing weight to Azure, although unlikely.