1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Probably. Even at $50 a system (which includes packaging and all that), it can really cut into profits. You also have R&D costs and whatnot, not to mention people just complaining about Kinect being a paper weight.

I've said this before, but I think we probably could use another generation or 2 of improvements in camera tech (and cost reductions) before we could get better implementation of it for games. There are some nice things now, but I think the latency and lack of precision hinders it in some case. Developers are still struggling to come up with huge reasons to give Kinect a shot (a lot of games are still "better" with just a controller). If it was $10-$15 to buy/include, it wouldn't be a big deal. You could add it to some games like developers do for rumble, accelerometer, voice recognition, etc.

2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Understood. I anticipate that if/when Apple makes good on the tech from the PrimeSense purchase, we will see motion controls done right.

Given the cost of developing games and the importance of multi platform success, I don't expect to see many devs really explore integrating Kinect beyond use as an unnecessary add-on to gameplay.

Microsoft is gonna have to lead that battle. Their own first-party titles have to leverage the tech. I assumed, wrongly, that that was the gambit when they included Kinect in the base SKU. I thougth they were going to really integrate Kinect into the experience, especially games. They certainly hyped up the supposed advances in the camera tracking tech.

But if the tech is still that bad.....

#1462 JeffB, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  3. JeffB

Supporting Member

Thinking about all the things Microsoft has changed track on, the only big rumor left that they have denied is the sell or spin-off of the XBox division. So I guess that is coming up next?;)

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.. No

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

To be clear, there will be 2 SKUs. One with and one without Kinect. They are not ditching Kinect. BTW, the XB1 already comes with a headset.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ok, thats what I read too, about ~50% more powerful.
    I didn't really like the kinect idea in place of faster ram at the time, but it really looks like they crapped the bed if that is what is preventing them from running games at 1080p. That really shouldn't be too much to ask for after the resolution has been introduced for about a decade.

That being said, I disagree with what some people are saying about the Kinect being the difference. Its not why I bought the One as my first MS console. I have always bought PS consoles, but came to the realization that I never really played the games as much and liked the exclusives much more on the xbox. It really just is a travesty that those awesome games won't be able to be played in 1080p though.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

[​IMG]

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

LMAO, yea it kind of hurts reading that. But I bought it for Halo, Titanfall (which seems pretty cool now and I'm sure the 2nd will be better), Gears, some other cool games I can't think of.

I am probably in the extreme minority, but after getting my PS3 at launch I felt that Resistance Fall of Man was one of the best online games I've ever played. The sequels weren't good but that first one kept my interest for a while. None of the other PS games hit home and led me to sell the console. I have fun playing games like Halo so its not a big deal for me to keep my x bone

9. BonziWellsGOAT

If you like exclusives, check this out. It's made by the devs of Rachet and Clank. It's their first Microsoft exclusive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CQ9FXIloYb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. JeffB

Supporting Member

The 2 SKU strategy should work for them. Dropping Kinect completely would be insane. I am not sure about pricing, though.

I really want to see Microsoft succeed and provide real competition in the console market. I just hope this turnaround doesn't preclude them from developing some first-party IP that makes "full use" of Kinect.

MS has had enough organizational change that these changes in direction and vision aren't a surprise. Unfortunately, there is no revisiting engineering decisions inside the box itself.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Phil Spencer is the CVP over Xbox, not the CEO. Our new CEO is Satya Nadella.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

Excuse me lol Our? Xbox employee?

13. BonziWellsGOAT

I can almost feel the smugness radiating off you.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I work at MSFT, not on Xbox though sadly.

Umm ok? Are you on your period? You sure are sensitive. Wasn't trying to be smug, but whatever.

15. BonziWellsGOAT

No I'm not!!!

[​IMG]

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Curious, when did you sell your PS3?

I only ask because, if it was pre-2009, I'd totally agree with you. PS3 had a poor lineup of games out of the gate... but it kept getting stronger every year. 2009 was the tipping point where there was a lot of great stuff, and it kept getting better.

And 360 started out strong... and didn't get any stronger. Lost exclusives. Heck, their better indie support was their biggest differentiator late in the cycle, I feel.

17. AXG

AXG Member

They should have done this straight from the beginning like they did with the 360 (core and one w/HD).

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

I thought that reason was Titanfall - I recall you saying that you were buying an xbox one just for titanfall, no?

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I don't remember what I said, but I feel titanfall is worth buying the xbone alone, but since I knew about Halo way before titanfall I was pretty sure then. Titanfall made me buy the console a lot quicker instead of waiting for Halo to come out.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Drexler fan, I forgot to write in the previous post.

I sold my PS3 in 2010.