1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Figured this would happen. Don't want and don't need a Kinect. Now if the price drops another $50 or so during Black Friday sales and comes with a game or two, I might have to consider it.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is my first MS console, so I have been b****ing about it endlessly. It was absolutely disgusting to require Live if you already pay for Netflix and your Internet. Not that I would use the xbox without live, but it just showed that MS was willing to go as deep as they wanted into our pockets with no respect.

Glad they fixed it though, its a step in the right direction.

3. BonziWellsGOAT

They had a different CEO pre-launch. The new guy, Phil Spencer, is the one who has been making all the changes to the policies and things of this nature. Looks like they could be in good hands. Plus I hear their E3 is going to blow everybody away this year. So im cautiously optimistic

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Oh ok, that explains a lot. Wish they'd announce Halo 5 though, was probably the single reason I bought the xbox one.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I feel like its another huge mistake. The XB1 was unique because of its focus on media integration, digital format and the Kinect. "Delivering more choices for fans" = no reason for developers to fully utilize the kinect.

Now, the only reason to purchase it over the PS4 is exclusives

Although, I'm glad that they fixed the stupid entertainment apps issue

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

People weren't buying the XBO anyway. This at least gives them a chance to get some good sales (pricing is very important for sales). If the Kinect is any good, developers can still utilize it. There are plenty of developers excited about (and supporting) the PS4 VR system. Devs can do the same with Kinect.

Yeah, Phil Spencer is making all the right moves. I think I posted a video of him earlier in this thread maybe? Right before he got his promotion. He definitely seems interested in giving gamers what they want (as evidenced by moves like this). Definitely good news that he's running the show now.

I talked to a few people around the office about this, and yeah, this definitely makes them consider a XBO more than they ever did before. Me too.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Im sorry, I love Kinect. People b**** to b****.....I think if you are buying the XB1 without kinect, you are missing out.

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

I agree the voice control is a great perk, great for switching through all the different apps so quickly.

9. RC Cola

Bundle a headset (or anything with a mic), and voice control is still part of the XBO experience. No Kinect required.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Desperate Microsoft. First they backtracked on the no used games policy, now they are backtracking on Kinect. Xbox division is being run by morons.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was planning on picking up a PS4 this month and XB1 layer. But spouse wanted Kinect, so we picked up XB1 Titanfall bundle last weekend. Kinect is a nice feature and a differentiator. I think they should have lowered the price and kept the Kinect included or come in cheaper than PS4 if the Kinect is gone.

MS Xbox division so often behaves like they have no real overall vision. It always feels like MS corporate or some MBA guru is constantly muddling plans so they can monetize and buzzword-iffy gaming.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

MS really crapped the bed with the Xbone. I was waiting to see what interesting new things they could accomplish with the Kinect in their games. I mistakenly believed that the Kinect was included to be used while playing games. I, myself, had come up with a number if interesting uses of Kinect while also using a controller. MS came up with none of them. I was waiting to see what MS did with the Kinect in the next Halo game. We got the answer today: nothing. Apparently, the only use that MS could figure out was to control menus. I am sorry, but that is just pathetic.

Chances I buy an Xbone: now 0%.

13. JeffB

Supporting Member

I think it is a tough value proposition to sell a less-powerful console for the same price as a more powerful, competing product.

Right now, the consoles really have no differences between them other than exclusives and real/perceived differences in console power.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

Surprised they have ditched Kinnect. Then again, I've been finding I'm using it less and less. Only really to sign in and record game clips.

As an Aussie, the apps we get a bloody terrible. We need more of the apps you lot have over there. Also, the price on games is still ridiculous. Au$98 for a new game in the Xbox store....I can go out and buy a physical copy of the same games for Au$78.

I'm ready for some new games now. Wish they'd get the next Fallout game out some time soon.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What sort of difference in power are you alluding to? I know that the ps4 uses a faster ram, but thats all I've heard.

16. RC Cola

The PS4 has a much more powerful GPU. The faster RAM plays into the more powerful GPU though, they kind of go hand-in-hand.

17. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Exactly my point. The Kinect was supposed to differentiate between the two consoles, but the developers at MS didn't bother to try to incorporate it into any of their games. What it looks like now is a really expensive menu navigator that is completely unnecessary and was never even considered for games.

Now MS is trying to sell a weaker clone of the PS4. PS has also owned the exclusive titles category but I was hoping for some really cool exclusives on Xbone that utilized the Kinect. The Kinect is actually a pretty cool piece of hardware. I just wish the game developers had some imagination on how to use it (here's hint: USE IT WITH THE CONTROLLER AT THE SAME TIME). Fantasy football apps and talking to my menus just doesn't excite me.

I am still waiting on the PS4 to show me an exclusive worthy of buying the console. I just built myself a new PC and a lot of these games are coming out on PC as well, so I am still in a waiting pattern on my next console. It will definitely be a PS4, though. Hopefully I will see a must have exclusive soon. I am not holding my breath, though.

18. joesr

joesr Member

You don't ealize how much easier the Kinect makes things when you don't have it. I had to send mine in for repairs and my options while playing seemed to have gotten harder or just weren't there.

Recording, turning on the system when I got home from the front door. Switching apps and game on the command. And still one of my favorites. not having to wear a headset. Easy yet I love that.

19. JeffB

Supporting Member

I really have no idea. :grin: I think I am discussing graphical power.

I google games and read that PS4 games, including multi platform games, are running at 1080P due to more powerful hardware. I go into Gamestop and the clerks say the PS4 is the stronger platform/console.

I know the PS4 has faster RAM but the XB1 has the ESRAM that supposedly devs are not properly exploiting. I always thought it was a wash. But it matters that multi platform games are clocking in a higher resolutions.(?)

I know most people just roll into Target or Best Buy, look at the price tags, and then make a call, so perceived or real differences in console power shouldn't matter. The differences between the 2 consoles may just be geek/fanboy quibbling.

20. JeffB

Supporting Member

My spouse and kids are really into Kinect. Between the fitness apps, Zumba, and Kinect Sports, I was gonna end up with both consoles, anyway.

I agree that they screwed the pooch by not shipping something that demonstrated the potential of the Kinect for gaming. I thought it was gonna be an interesting battle to see one machine selling advanced motion controls vs a machine selling better graphics.

Is the Kinect that expensive that Microsoft couldn't just drop the price and keep thee peripheral in box?