1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WWE: Eddie Guerrero passes away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Did he die for real or is he just acting?

2. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

The entire shows on both Raw tonight and Smackdown Friday are Eddie Guerrerro tribute shows, without storylines or angles with individual memorials to Eddie from the other wrestlers in between matches.

This is vastly different from the Owen Hart incident. Owen died DURING a show, where I think the show should have stopped and didn't. However, Eddie died to morning of a Television taping. The show was to be taped that night, and subsequently they decided to scrap all plans for it and devote it to Eddie instead (the aforementioned Raw and Smackdown for the week was taped Sunday night as they are headed to Europe for a week today).

And, I think a more apt analogy would be if someone at your job died would the company shut down that day? No, but I do think dedicating the day to him and honoring him somehow would be appropriate. Also anyone not wishing to come to work because they were too upset would be appropriate as well. For the record, Vince did exactly that. He gave Chavo Guerrero, Eddie's nephew the option of staying home or wrestling and Chavo chose to wrestle.

Another tidbit lost somewhere was at the end of the Press Conference where Vince said Eddie's family would receive benefits and royalties "forever".

Vince is despicable a lot of the time, but that doesn't sound greedy or money hungry to me.

3. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Let me also add that as quoted from the SI.com story at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/11/14/obit.guerrero.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

It was Chavo Guerrero, not Vince McMahon who made the "show should go on" statement.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

Chavo Guerrero and McMahon said Guerrero was open about his past drug and alcohol abuse but they said he'd been sober for four years.

Guerrero was in the Twin Cities with 60 to 80 other wrestlers to film Friday Night Smackdown at the Target Center.

"I know Eddie would want the show to go on," Chavo Guerrero said.

4. Svpernaut

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

seriously man, thats not cool.... :(

I wouldve said that when Brian Pillman passed because he played an angle where he was psycho and such, but this was uncalled for.

btw, his death is hitting the news wire. I noticed it as a headline on Yahoo yesterday, and just noticed on ESPN that there is a link under their top headlines. Just to show u this is a big loss to the WWE :(

#45 Dave2000, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  6. Svpernaut

Sorry, with "professional" wrestling I don't know where fake starts and real begins.

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i dont want start a debate, if you follow, watch wrestling, you will appreciate performers hard work and what they do to entertain people. Yes, some of it is fake but they go through hard times, injuries just like any other athlete. Plus, they entertain us year round, no offseason, and in most cases, night in, night out, every single week.

I admit, if someone died in lets say, the world champion of Magic cards, i wouldnt give a rats ass, but would have sympathy that someone did pass away and wouldn't say "did the Wizard cast a spell on him".

FYI: no, i dont play Magic cards.....

#47 Dave2000, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, that wouldn't be funny....

...now, if you were to say, "Did he get buried in his robe and wizard hat?", THAT would be hilarious...

9. leehoang

leehoang Member

10. Svpernaut

Maybe they got hit in the temple with their 60-sided dice.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i admit, i got a bit teary-eyed at the beginning of RAW. :(

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Chris Benoit's speech was pretty emotional.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Autopsy results are inconclusive. They will wait for toxocology reports to make a final determination on cause of death.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

15. macalu

listen to this douchebag Colin Cowherd.

link

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

17. Vengeance

Link was from previous post.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think it's kinda dumb when they say these guys are not athletes. They are.
    Sure, it is predetermined, it's worked, but you still have to go out there and perform. Tom Cruise doesn't do his own stunts. George Clooney doesnt do his own stunts.

You look at past wrestlers. Take for example.

Ron Simmons. Former Tag Champion, first African American Heavyweight Champion. Played football at Florida State for Bobby Boweden. He had his Jersey Retired.

Kevin Nash. in 1979 or something, he was the number 2 recruit in the nation behind some dude that went to Michigan State named Ervin. He played some ball at Tennessee.

The Rock. Play ball at Miami. you guys know him

Undertaker. If I recall, he went to Waltrip. He was offered a scholarship to play ball at some college in Texas. I can't remember.

Vader. I think he played some football at Colorado. It was funny seeing him on tv a few weeks ago stumbling on the outside.

Marc Mero. You may remember him as Johnny B Badd. New York State Golden Gloves boxing champion.

JBL. Bradshaw Layfield played some ball at Abeline Christian.

Is it a sport? Maybe not. Are these guys athletes? yeah,. Yeah they are.

If you think about this, these guys have no off seasons to recover.

19. Vengeance

Oh yeah, I totally agree. These guys are HUGELY athletic, they just don't all have the skill to play in the pros. But lots of them are crazy-strong, and some could probably have become bodybuilders or weightlifters. If any of y'all have seen Bobby Lashley, I can't imagine anyone being much stronger than he is.

20. macalu

man, he'd make an awesome guest speaker at a graduation.