1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF!! The Knicks are keeping Hakeem Olajuwon all to themselves, hiring the legend

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sparky, Sep 15, 2012.

1. sparky

sparky Member

2. sidestep

sidestep Member

I wonder how much Hakeem is getting paid for that. Though for Hakeem, I think it's not so much about the money as respect for his game and what he can teach. Knicks must have asked real nice.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

The article says it is just for a week. And the Knicks probably had to pay a lot of money for him to go there.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We got CD. He trained Joey Dorsey and went beh-ney-ney

5. sidestep

sidestep Member

Or, another way of putting it is that showing that kind of money is to show respect.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's all my fault Hakeem must not like me... I shall repent

Says guilt ridden superstitious rockets fan

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

It's okay. You can't teach what hakeem did. Not even hakeem can teach what he did. You'reborn ewithtthat ****

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think it's not only a matter of money and respect though. Hakeem is more likely to help established players to get to the next level, instead of rookies etc.
    It wouldn't have hurt the Rockets to contact Hakeem though, he clearly cares about them.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

LOL, I love OT....but to classify him a shooter in the same sentence as Horry and Chilcutt is just weird. I wonder if Kelly meant to imply that or if it was just an odd way that it came out

10. rednation98

rednation98 Member

Hey, maybe if rockets hire hakeem, he can give them a huge discount!

11. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Doesn't matter, nobody can learn what the dream does.

12. ejarts

ejarts Member

yeah. everyone wants to train with Hakeem but none wants to play for the rockets. cause rockets should be investing on this and hire Hakeem as a summer trainer. other teams are benefiting from a rockets legend. how sad. good job management.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

It's a good thing for the rockets.
    The Knicks give money to Hakeem, not Ewing.

The Lakers have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the Bobcats have MJ.
    It doesn't mean anything.

The Knicks just want to give hope to the NY medias and fans.

14. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Kobe clownz foolz in the post son

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Melo can't learn from Dream, no one can. Melo has the best footwork in the league. He just settles too often.

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

17. tefunk

tefunk Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/sports/basketball/how-hakeem-olajuwon-became-invested-in-the-knicks.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

How Olajuwon Became Invested in the Knicks
    By NATE TAYLOR
    Mike Woodson made a request early. Even before he knew he would be coaching the Knicks again, Woodson looked into the future. He needed help. He called Hakeem Olajuwon, his longtime friend and a Hall of Famer known for teaching fundamentals.

The Knicks had just been eliminated by the Miami Heat in the first round of the playoffs, and Woodson wondered if Olajuwon could help Amar’e Stoudemire with his footwork and low-post moves. When the Knicks did retain Woodson — removing his interim title — and gave him a contract extension, he called Olajuwon again. This time, Woodson was in Houston, ready to execute his plan with Olajuwon.

“I feel so honored that he asked me to help,” Olajuwon said.

Since retiring in 2002, Olajuwon has developed some of the N.B.A.’s best players. Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and LeBron James have all flourished under Olajuwon’s tutelage. The lessons have always taken place at Olajuwon’s ranch in Katy, Tex.

Now, for the first time since being available to players during the summer, Olajuwon will travel to a team’s facility to show players his moves. This week, Olajuwon will be in Greenburgh, N.Y., with several Knicks players, including Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Stoudemire. He will also be alongside Woodson, the man who persuaded him to make the trip.

Having worked with Stoudemire for more than two weeks this summer, Olajuwon is clearly fully invested in assisting Woodson, and ultimately the Knicks, the team he beat in the N.B.A. finals with the Houston Rockets in 1994.

“It was something I wanted to do for Mike,” Olajuwon said. “It’s always a joy for me to work with current players, especially for guys that you know you can help their careers.”

Woodson and Olajuwon were teammates with the Rockets from 1988 to 1990. Woodson, a veteran at the time, helped the younger Olajuwon mature. Even then, Olajuwon could tell Woodson was interested in coaching once his playing career was over. The two formed a bond, and Olajuwon has watched Woodson become a respected coach in the league.

“Mike showed a flash toward the last part of the season of what he can do,” Olajuwon said, referring to the Knicks’ 18-6 record after Woodson replaced Mike D’Antoni in March. “You can tell he is comfortable making the right move to succeed.”

No one in the league will disagree with Woodson’s efforts to develop team chemistry. Earlier this week, Olajuwon said Anthony and Stoudemire would need to complement each other for the Knicks to win. He also said Chandler could be more dominant in the post with more back-to-the-basket moves.

Olajuwon will have the players focus on repetition in their post moves during the pre-training camp workouts.

“I think the team is expecting a lot of itself,” Olajuwon said. “They know they have to accomplish a lot this season.”

At first, Woodson wanted Olajuwon to come to New York during the early part of the off-season to help his three primary frontcourt players. That wasn’t possible, though, once Anthony and Chandler began training with the United States national team in preparation for the Olympics.

But Woodson, in a move that impressed Olajuwon, traveled to Katy in early August to watch Stoudemire’s first few training sessions.

Over dinner, Woodson told Olajuwon about his plans for the season and how he wanted the Knicks’ offense to focus on getting the ball inside. Woodson also saw Stoudemire’s improvement under Olajuwon.

He then asked Olajuwon if he would be interested in teaching Anthony, Chandler and others.

“The ranch is quiet and it’s very comfortable for the players,” Olajuwon said. “But I can understand with the guys coming back from the Olympics, so this time I made the exception to come to New York.”

Olajuwon said he was willing to give the Knicks feedback during the season. He expects the Knicks to progress under Woodson and contend in the Eastern Conference. The Knicks will be on Olajuwon’s TV a lot.

“When you work with a player for hours, days and weeks, you want to see them play,” he said. “You want to see how quickly they improve and mature.”

18. jocar

jocar Member

When asked "why not help train the young Rockets rookies?", he simply took a bite of his chicken mcnugget.. replied "Unbeatable."...and walked off into the sunset.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No you Di'nt!!!

20. gambingo

gambingo Member

How nice of Melo....all the other stars in the league went to Hakeem's ranch.