1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTF] Did Adelman just throw the game?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am trying to explain this as best as I can. This is not your normal, down 5 with 30 seconds to go, foul and extend the game.

We were down ONE possession. Sure Rose was hard to stop, so what's the worse case by playing straight up? That he scores, and you are in the same situation anyways.

By intentionally fouling, you give them FREETHROWS to get to that point, instead of going through the defense.

And guys, sorry for not putting this in the game thread, but I felt this was truly, TRULY an inexcusable play call and head scratcher that was worthy of discussion.

I am usually trusting and complimentary of our staff, but I am really very confused about this one.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Game was under 90 pts.

They try to run out the clock..usually ends in a missed shot..

And you give yourself a shot to tie the game.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Would you go on playing your bench after a 0-13 run in the second, followed by a 0-18 run at the beginning of 4th? I would think not.

4. AggieRocketsFan

I thought the Knicks were going to do the tanking for us?

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

And guys, this thread has nothing to do with whether we won or loss, which is why it is not in the game thread. It is not a reactionary thread from emotion.

It is just a really mind bending play that I thought needed to be pointed out, and held accountable.

I seriously cannot recall the last time any coach has done this.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rockets don't benefit much by tanking when they're going to be able to swap picks with the Knicks. Granted, New York could start playing better and if both the Rockets and Knicks are in the lottery it improves the Rockets' chances at getting a better pick (they only have one pick -- whichever one is better)... but it doesn't make sense to "tank" 10 games in when you may not even have your pick.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Not that I don't agree with you here, but I have to call you out.

Anyways, back on topic - that was a pretty stupid move for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure Morey could tell Adelman that that was the statistically dumber move to make.

8. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I don't have any info to back this up but I got a feeling that Adelman was trying to play numbers game there, he saw that they had couple of guys that were close to 70% free throw shooter so he decided to foul and hope that they miss. This is the only logical conclusion that I could think of and even then it was a bad decision because they would have to miss two free throws for us to have any chance.

9. Htown's2kFinest

Either he had no confidence in his D or he wanted to stretch the game out. The what Rose was lighting us up in the 4th I don't blame him there. But I wish Ish Smith and Jordan Hill got a little more time.

10. Htown's2kFinest

typo^

11. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Aldeman blew the game tonight by not making substitutions at the correct time and poor use of the timeouts. When someone starts the 4th on that kind of a run you don't just let it happen. Jordan Hill could have made a difference at the rim during this game. I can't believe what i just watched. That was terrible f u c k i n g coaching...

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

First of all you quoted me saying "They are not infallible." So I'm not sure about how it is calling me out.

But fine, I apologize for being an ass.

Back on topic:

WTF. Noah is a career 71% FT shooter, not 66% like someone said. But that is irrelevant. I don't care if he is a 40% FT shooter. All he has to do is make ONE FT to put the game away.

He would have to miss BOTH freethrows just so that we can be in the SAME position as if we just played some solid D and got a stop.

Overall I think Adelman is a good coach and has done a passable job with our current situation.

This play: inexcusable.

13. sammy

this seems like the ideal situation. increase your chance of a top 3 pick therefore increasing your chances of finding that star were coveting.

im not so sure anymore about taking on salary unless its melo or nash

14. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Not that I agree with RA's call, but here's my thinking: let's say we somehow hold them and somehow get a rebound, giving us 7-8 seconds.. They're just going to foul us before we attempt the three. Then we have to hope to hit the first (free throws weren't exactly a strength for us tonight), intentionally miss the second, get the rebound and score to force OT. It just wasn't in the cards tonight..

15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Fouling at that point in the game was like saying "oh well we won't get a stop, why bother".

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

OMG another in-game dumb move by Rick Adleman :eek: :eek: :eek:

What else is new, RA always sucks when it comes to in-game coaching. You know how some coaches like PJ, Pops, Sloan and JVG are x's and o's masters? RA is an x and o dunce. That's his one big weakness, and the reason he'll never be one of the top coaches in the league.

Also I notice Hill is back in the RA doghouse...just 5 mins this game. When we win, not developing our young bigs can be explained away, but when we lost we basically just wasted a game today. PP still hasn't played one minute on the court. When was the last time a coach benched the 14th lottery pick for the 10 games without even 1 second of PT?

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

go for the stop?

we have no D lol

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? If the Bulls foul us with 7 seconds still left in the clock you can make all two and then foul the Bulls.

19. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I said we would get the ball with 7-8 seconds left. When using the foul-before-the-3-attempt strategy, the opposing team rarely fouls right away... We'd be shooting free throws with 2-4 seconds. Rick was extending the game. That's all. I didn't say I agreed with RA, but it was a viable option.

20. sammy

they were under 90 with less than a minute to go and we had gotten stops to make it that close in the first place..