1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WSJ: P.J. Tucker] How a One-Time Washout Explains the Modern NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NBA changed, but the bigger part is that Tucker learned to shoot. Even in 2006, a guy who can defend and hit a 3 point shot has great value, Shane Battier was already quite successful back then. A perimeter player who cannot shoot has a much harder time succeeding.

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

The Rockets have come a long way in achieving the ideal type of roster, which is one where effectively you have a superstar ball handler on the court at all times, take a lot of efficient 3 pointers, and have multiple wings that can play multiple positions, allowing for lots of flexibility in terms of offensive and defensive matchups.

MrButtocks likes this.
  3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah I think the bigger thing young players should be looking at is finding their role... chances are they won't be superstars and the guys that stick around and don't get washed out are the ones that realize that quickly.

PJ and probably his agent were smart in realizing the need for 3 and D guys in the NBA and trying to become one.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

IDK man last year we shattered the record and this year I think a Morey would probably like us to shoot even more 3s and with CP3 and James penetrating and kicking it out he and he rest of the guys will have open shots aplenty.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't know he was 32 with a 4 year deal. Nonguaranteed for last year?

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I thought for sure that MDAs idea for PJ's threes had to be off base, but I think you might be right.

Last year:
    Harden 9.3
    Gordon 8.8
    Anderson 7.0
    Ariza 6.9
    Williams 5.6
    Beverley 4.3

Bev/Williams gone
    Anderson likely gone
    Ariza/Harden likely to play far fewer minutes

Chris Paul put up 5.0 a game last year
    Mbah a Moute put up 1.4 a game last year

Let's assume MDA wants them both to increase and Paul is at like 7.0/3.5 for Mbah a Moute

That's 41.9 per game for our main guys, but we averaged 40.3. People will sit, so our total should average somewhere around 42.

Melo put up 5.7 a game last year if he ends up coming to Houston.

These are pure speculation:

Harden 8.5
    Gordon 8.8
    Paul 7.0
    Ariza 6.0
    Melo 6.5
    Mbah a Moute 3.5

This total would be 40.3 (3s per game) and it's not too far off base in my opinion. If we averaged 46.3 per game(by adding PJs 6), I'd be surprised. However, I do think you could easily find 6 threes a game for PJ if others took less. The issue that I see is that he's never been a volume three point shooter. I don't think a Moute has either.

Harden 8.0
    Gordon 8.0
    Paul 6.5
    Ariza 5.0
    Melo 5.5
    Mbah a Moute 2.5

This total is 35.5 and leaves plenty of room for PJ's threes, but remember this is MDmA we're talking about. He has nothing but love for the long ball and I'm guessing he's told others the same thing, to increase their three point attempts. Good thing is, we'll see. I also think CP3 will get guys really good shots inside the three point line this year. So, I don't think it's reasonable to keep the same exact pace, but who knows, it could increase thus making you exactly right. We shot 40 a game last year for 43.2 ppg, shooting 50 a game for 52.5 ppg still means more than 52.5 points a game will be added via the paint and FT line because we WILL average over 110 a game easily.