1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR Tim Brown retires as a Raider, ready to join NASCAR?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=timbrownretires&prov=st&type=lgns

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA (TICKER) -- Before leaving the NFL, Tim Brown went back home.

One of the most prolific receivers in NFL history, Brown retired Monday after signing a one-day contract with the Oakland Raiders, with whom he spent nearly his entire career.

Brown, who turns 39 on Friday, made his announcement at a news conference at a hotel. He signed a contract presented by Raiders executive Amy Trask, thanked countless coaches and teammates and announced plans to enter NASCAR in an effort to diversify the sport.

A former Heisman Trophy winner, Brown ranks second all-time in receiving yardage, third in receptions and tied for third in receiving touchdowns. He played 16 seasons for the Raiders before signing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

"I thought that this day would never come," he said. "I thought I would just keep on playing."

Until a couple of years ago, that seemed possible. As recently as 2003 - his last season with the Raiders - he had 52 catches for 567 yards while playing alongside Jerry Rice and Jerry Porter.

However, Brown did not re-signed last summer when the Raiders could not guarantee his role in the offense. He reunited with former Raiders coach Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay but had 24 receptions for 200 yards and one touchdown, his lowest totals since 1990.

"It is time for me to retire, to move on to a different phase of my life," he said.

Brown intends to become the first minority majority owner of a NASCAR team. He has been working with Roush Racing, one of the sport's most successful teams which is helping him get started.

"It's going to be a big deal to try and get this accomplished," Brown said.

Very few receivers accomplished more than Brown, who caught 1,094 passes for 14,934 yards and 100 touchdowns. He also was a spectacular return man early in his career.

Selected to nine Pro Bowls, Brown had more than 1,000 yards receiving from 1993-2001. His most productive season came in 1997, when he caught 104 passes for 1,408 yards.

Brown attended Notre Dame and won the 1987 Heisman as a wide receiver and return man.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Greatest Raider ever.

good luck 81.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This 1-day contract crap is stupid.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

It's nothing more than good PR...I wish Rice would retire...

5. PhiSlammaJamma

For a Kick Returner type guy, he had a great career, and lived up to the hype. He did it quietly too.

Heisman Trophy - 1987
    Consensus All-American - 1987
    8-time NFL Pro-Bowler

6. drapg

drapg Member

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Brown in NASCAR.

I've always been the first to make fun of NASCAR and laugh when people call it a sport. But over the past year I've been reading more about the rivalries, learning more about the drivers, and I must admit I'm enthralled by the "sport."

Kenseth, Earnhardt, Stewart... these guys actually get me reading articles on NASCAR.

But I still can't stomach watching it, unless its the last 5-10 laps.

Hope Brown succeeds in this new arena. I love when athletes branch out and try something new after retiring, instead of taking the normal route of entering the media for a cushy desk job.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

One of my favorite players in any sport when I was seven years old, as an ND freak, I was enraptured with his play in 1987. I still remember the losing score (35-10) in his senior year loss at the Cotton Bowl.