1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow Robert Covington...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HRox832, Dec 6, 2014.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could be a player. Lot of talent...

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Seems more aggressive than he ever was here..might have added some weight as well.

3 games is hardly anything though...a lot of guys get hot when they start playing a lot if minutes and develop a good rhythm...the question is, can they maintain it over a season, after defenses get a chance to scout them?

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Why would anyone scout philly? most teams dont even bother to play defense against them

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

COF's out in full force.

5. OmenXYZ

OmenXYZ Member

Good for him!
    As for the announcer for CSN Philly, i kept hearing John Malkovich for some reason.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Covington over Garcia is a no brainer. We let one get away but can't win them all, especially with the early season success so far. Just hope we can get something for Garcia after Dec. 15 because he's an end of the bench guy these days.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Small sample size and worst team of the league

We always knew he can shoot and cannot really defend

They are playing last year RGV ball when they used to score 130-140

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

He actually couldve been one of the best off ball defenders on our team. In addition he has lenght and huge wingspan to bother his opps. I always told he's like Ben McLemore, the only difference is that hes older.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He seems to have adjusted his form a bit. Using more legs in his shot in this video. In Houston his legs were straight, very stiff.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That would have been nice but I have a feeling we are seriously looking to get a vet power forward to replace tjones eventually on the roster. I think we were also not planning on all these injuries and our thoughts were to let him have a chance else where rather than sit on our bench. Garcia will fill the void he was supposed to once everyone is back from injuries, which is to sit on the bench.

11. anchel

anchel Member

cannot defend? He's a good defender at SF in my mind.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They hardly defense last year in Rio Grande. That resulted in results like

130-119......

If Harden can defend Covington is able to do as well..... but I doubt he will be asked to defend much with the 76ers.

He has to go a defensive team to do so.

13. ribbit

ribbit Member

Makes me appreciate how Rockets scout draft picks and nobodies and make them serviceable players in the NBA. While they let go of some, I think it's out of necessity.

On top of my head, Rockets selected nobodies like Pat Bev, Chase Budinger, Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Rudy Gay, Nicolas Batum, Chandler Parsons, and now Covington. Covington plays for a bottom-feeder and probably was never really defended, but if you could score 20+ points even for just two games at a high FG% and get some rebounds in the NBA, I think, to say the least, you belong to a bench with an NBA team. (Again, to say the least.)

Now compare that to a team like Mavs, where the only serviceable player they drafted during Dirk's tenure was Josh Howard (AFAIK). And now, they overpaid for Chandler Parsons thinking that he could become a star.

Of course, I would put the Spurs above the Rockets in terms of evaluating unknown talents.

14. NotChandlerParsons

He's short and slow. Pretty good at using his length to get blocks and steals after the fact, but for the most part he'll get blown by by SFs and backed down by PFs.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Happy for him, he's another pure shooter that caught up in the numbers game

Met him in Vegas during Summer League in July, one of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet

16. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Just another James Anderson who plays a different position. Maybe a small loss by the Rockets but it's not like Covington would see the floor much on this squad. He has a talented game though hope he continues to do well.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's better than garcia, but sisco had the guaranteed contract.

adrien and covington > dorsey and garcia, but those guaranteed contracts are a tough pill to swallow. les didn't want to cut them and still have to pay, so the non guaranteed deals were let go.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Alexey Shved shoulda been starting too. His overall shooting % isnt good but he still has decent true shooting% cuz he gets lots of free throws.

Its not like they have a unit of players who "complement" each other, can just play the better peformers. But then even with KJ, Cov and Shved in, theyre not going anywhere anyway, might as well keep with tanking

19. CrashTheBoards

So he is gonna go off for another week or two, code name Robsanity, Les is gonna flip out on Morey about letting that fat **** Hinkie take away our sloppy seconds, full MLE for Covington, he sucks, GARM complains about Morey overpaying for a scrub who got hot and shouldn't be in the NBA, we trade him and a first to the Lakers for a now older Trevor Ariza and Aaron Brooks.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think Rudy Gay and Batum were nobodies. Rudy was a Top 8 pick and Batum was also a lottery pick IIRC.

Highly coveted throughout the league right after top big men.

Those were top swing men prospects at that time.

Rockets just did not have the time or the interest to develop them at that specific time.