1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow just wow: GOP congressman Tim Murphy opposed abortion, until his mistress said she was pregnant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by hlcc, Oct 3, 2017.

1. hlcc

hlcc Member

You can't make this crap up. I have a feeling Tim Murphy will soon become best buds with fellow GOP rep Scott DesJarlais. DesJarlais another supposed pro-life warrior apparently asked both his wife and his mistress to get abortions.

Republican Representative Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania is reportedly lying to both his wife and the American people.

Early this year, he sent a text message to his mistress and asked her to get an abortion after pushing for anti-abortion legislation, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," Shannon Edwards, Murphy’s extramarital girlfriend and a forensic psychologist in Pittsburgh, wrote him on January 25, according to a series of documents obtained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The text messages showed Murphy’s cell phone number, the newspaper reported.

Murphy responded by telling Edwards that it’s okay to be anti-abortion at work since he doesn’t really mean it.

"I get what you say about my March for life messages,” he texted to Edwards. “I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write anymore. I will."

He’s supposed to be one of the many anti-abortion congressmen. In fact, after news of his extramarital affair broke out in September, he was still endorsed by LifePAC and the Family Research Council. Furthermore, he’s a member of the House Pro-Life Caucus and is currently co-sponsoring the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would ban abortion after 20 weeks except in cases of rape, incest or where the pregnancy poses a threat to the life or physical health of the mother.

“Last year I became involved in an affair with a personal friend,” Murphy said in a public statement last year after he publicly admitted to the affair. “This is nobody’s fault but my own, and I offer no excuses. To the extent that there should be any blame in this matter, it falls solely upon me.”

Moreover, a June memo titled "Office Conduct and Behavior: Harassment/Legal Compliance," apparently authored by Murphy's chief of staff Susan Mosychuk, stated that there had been an "ongoing and ever more pronounced pattern of sustained inappropriate behavior" from the congressman, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Post-Gazette wrote that the memo criticized his "inability to hire and retain competent staff, abysmal office morale," as well as "hostile, erratic, unstable, angry, aggressive and abusive behavior." His office has had an almost 100 percent staff turnover this year.

Murphy was not immediately available to comment at the time of publication.

http://www.newsweek.com/abortion-murder-says-representative-who-wants-abort-his-baby-677115

malakas, Deji McGever, pirc1 and 3 others like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They just say whatever they need to say to get elected. It's not the Congressmen that are the problem necessarily, it's the money and the ignorant public that influence those Congressmen. You basically get what you deserve as a society and right now that's no health care and generally ignorant policy all around.

malakas, mdrowe00, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

wow, just wow. i can't believe you're surprised when a religious person practices do as i say not as i do.

it's rude to ask a person's age so instead please answer the following question, where do you think tooth fairy money comes from? have you ever watch a R-rated movie? can you legally purchase alcohol?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm proud to be an American, at least I know I'm freeeEEee!!

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Constituents should be able to expect their officials to live by their values

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

At least this time it's not the anti gay marriage GOP congressman caught in a public bathroom with another man.

How much sewage that Trump spews on a weekly basis does he believe himself?? Based on your message probably about 15%.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

But but but but utbutbut he he'll he'll drain the swamp!!

YULE C U HYPOCRITES

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

something even worse than hypocrisy is the killing of unborn children

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what this guy wanted to do and yet you attack liberals while defending your man.

el gnomo likes this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

To what degree should we expect an elected official to personally believe in the policies they endorse? Is their responsibility to do their job as per their own conscience, or as per the will of their constituents that elected them to office?

I feel it has to be some mixture of the two, but I don't know which outweighs the other. Ultimately, they are professional advocates for a set of positions that appeal to their voters. How much they actually personally care about them is, it could be argued, beside the point.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think when you stake out a moral position and say abortions are mostly wrong and so on... You are representing yourself not just as an advocate but as a moral authority and a person who shares the belief of your constituents.

Abortion is a moral issues but a policy one. I think something should be done about global warming but I drive a car for instance. My position on global warming is not a moral one but rather a rational policy position. If it was a moral one, in which I said out was evil to spew co2 into the atmosphere and yet I personal had a high carbon footprint then I would deserve ridicule.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Then no politician should ever be elected.

Most politicians only follow the party line to get elected. The reality is if a person really cares about what they believe, they will be most beneficial in their community. The higher up one goes the more likely they are in it for the power and attention. Good portion of Americans recognize this and this is is why they have little trust in Washington.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't look to people in Washington as moral authorities on anything. I'm sure many are fine people, but they should be viewed as "representatives" of the people. This is especially true for lower-house congressmen.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Story gave me a good LOL, if only because it's hilarious to me how someone in his position would put something like that in writing. Use a damn burner phone paid for in cash, you moron. Has House of Cards taught you nothing?

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Color me surprised.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i think he's saying i don't care if he's a hypocrite, or if he's even a liberal or a criminal, or a jack ass, or ______ as long as he vote against abortion

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What a load of complete and utter nonsense.

Takiing part in a moral crusade to enforce your moral godliness on all women necessarily means that you posit that you are doing it not because it's politically expedient but because you feel it's morally correct - which leaves very little room to do that same immoral thing - ever. That's the definition of morals.

Not very well thought through @durvasa

Not very well thought through at all.

#17 SamFisher, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Rashmon likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Did you vote for him? He is attracting votes on moral grounds not policy points.

I didn't realize you are so Machiavellian by the way. Are you saying that you don't care about the personal opinions of your representatives - just on the way they will vote? So if Trump aligned with your policy positions, you would be happy with him even if he did everything else wrong?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I have a couple of things to say about the congressman. Either he doesn't believe abortion is the murder of babies or he does believe it and is willing to murder when he becomes inconvenienced.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It is not only the money and the ignorant public. It seems like high office attracts and rewards only the biggest assholes.