1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOW] Are the Rockets destined for the Lottery?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I know most people think Berri is full of it, but I wanted to share this anyway.

He thinks we will likely be better than .500 and that makes me happy. That is what I want from this team with no Yao and maybe half a season of Tmac.

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/is-houston-destined-for-the-lottery/

1 person likes this.
  2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Good, insightful read. I'm surprised at Mcgrady's numbers...that he produced 4 wins. I wonder if the author used Mcgrady's stats from last year or from 2 years ago because I honestly do not see how his on the court production last year could have produced anywhere to 4 wins.

3. AXG

AXG Member

That's what I've been telling people. If you look at just the raw numbers, the Rockets are expected to lose every game, but there were many times when eveyone (including myself) expected the Rockets to lose and they came together and played great team ball. They've shown these past few seasons that the team is greater than the sum of its parts and that's reason for why they went on a 22-game winning streak and beat Portland in the Playoffs and played a great 7-game series to the eventual champion Lakers. I still believe this is a playoff team and nobody wants to play the Rockets because they give their all every game.

4. RocketMania1991

All signs point to us going to the lottery....

We have 40 million dollars of payroll that will be on the bench for nearly the entire year.
    No team can contend for a full season without feeling negative effects from losses that great.

I'm an avid Rockets fan and I wish the team well,but if we just make the playoffs we realistically have no shot at going past the first round.

And if you aren't winning a championship most general managers, and owners would call that a failed season.

By making the playoffs and falling out of the first round nothing positive really comes from that.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Is this John Wall guy any good?

;)

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How did Taylor get into the 2nd lineup, while Budinger doesn't even merit one word?

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

My sources say.. heck yeah! ;)

Honestly, low lottery would make me happy if we picked Patrick Patterson with it!! :) I don't need a shiny toy, just a useful one works for me.

8. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, the shooting guard situation is pretty messed up right now. Until McGrady returns, my guess is we'll see Battier, Ariza and Brooks holding down the SG spot with Budinger getting some time as small forward. I don't see Taylor getting major minutes in the first half of the season.

It's a good thing Adelman is pretty creative with lineups.

9. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

I hope we pick up a big man sometime very soon. Scola and Andersen are great players but the size disadvantage is very obvious

10. Convictedstupid

You know, sometimes I wish we lose alot of games and get first pick and get another franchise player who will turn this club around.

I dont care how many teams we surprise by pushing better teams to the brink yet still losing. We still lose. Ive grown weary of our almost Cinderella-esque team.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

2 words do NOT belong in the same sentence.

12. tobepg

tobepg Member

This analyzing is based on stats of last year. Situation is now very different than last season. We lost Yao, the one of best big defender in NBA. It's obvious that we'ill be killed in the paint. Supposedly, this slashes the win share stats of our bigs.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It's pretty accurate i just don't see them having that mean confidence to do better then 15th in the lottery.

They will be scrappy against better teams who won't play as serious as they would in the playoffs.

They will blow big leads against teams who are no better then .500 trying to make the playoffs.

I don't see much improvement from the club during the season as their record indicates .500 ball won against good teams and lost against bad teams.

It will be an up and down season with no consistency throughout an entire ball game.

Tomany new faces, new offense, missing pieces, rotation questions.

14. rockets_fanatic

I don't think it would be the end of the world. Get some young talent and we either keep T-Mac if he shows some of his old form, or we get 20 million to spend in Free Agency.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We do not get $20 mil in free agency from T-mac leaving. The Rockets only get the available cap space between team salary and the salary cap.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

O'rly?

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This isn't true. You lose all season and you will get a top pick.

On the other hand, if this team makes the playoffs and is knocked out, free agents will consider joining. We would be an excellent team with Yao returning as well.

Whereas, no FA will join a team that has just receved a top pick (automatically 4-5 million in rookie contract).