1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow - 4th pick potentially to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 1234567, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please post these quotes because I have never seen that.

He makes the transactions. That doesn't mean he overrules OBrien.

And I do have a link. Mad Radios 4 part interview with O'Brien. He specifically says Rick won't get the coaches a player they don't want

Sorry but I think you've fallen for obriens spin

2. Mr. Clutch

Just think about it logically.

Why would O'Brien come to a place where he doesn't decide the roster? He was the hot coaching candidate. The QB guru and offensive genius. Belichick loved him.

And Rick had never built a roster. He got who kubiak wanted.

And we immediately sign a bunch of ex Patriots.

But we're supposed to believe that O'Brien doesn't build the roster, that it's Rick all by himself?

Makes no sense especially when you add the quotes otherwise.

3. prohibido

prohibido Member

"The most important think he's doing, he's responsible for personnel," McNair said.

Bill O’Brien: “Again, we talk about everybody that’s out there, every day. I coach the football team. What you saw yesterday, that’s what I’m in charge of. So, I just give my input, and then I coach the football team.”

Do you even google, bro?

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/rick-smith-gets-four-year-contract-extension

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/11/07/gallant-why-dont-we-hear-from-rick-smith-more/

4. Mr. Clutch

None of those say O'Brien isn't making roster decisions along with Rick.

Yep Rick is in charge of signing guys and O'Brien is in charge of coaching.

The question is who is making the final decision on who Rick should sign, draft or cut?

Here's a pretty extensive interview with O'Brien this past off-season:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/19/bill-obrien-with-mad-radio-part-one/

On the organizational structure of the franchise when drafting players: “You know Rick and I the way that the organization is structured here we’re partners running this football team and so my part of that partnership is to evaluate the prospects and give my opinion and when Rick asks my opinion on certain players I give him my opinion. I’m not in charge of trading up and trading, that’s not part of my deal. When I come into the building on draft night I want to be sharp in giving him a snapshot opinion when he asks me what I think of this player. He’s not gonna draft guys we don’t want, but you have to have a clear opinion, you can’t go off on a short story about a guy because there are decisions that need to be made.

On the process and discussions leading up to the selection of Deshaun Watson: “This year when we came here there were a number of quarterbacks we liked, but I can tell you there was a consensus that Deshaun Watson was the number one quarterback that we liked and for a lot of reasons. We loved his demeanor, we loved that he played in a lot of big games in college and won, he’s a winner, I mean the guy’s a winner. So when he (Rick Smith) turned to me and said give me your final evaluation of the guy I said the guy’s a winner, the arm strength, the accuracy, he’s accurate, he can fire the football, he’s got escapability so whatever your decision is that’s it and so Rick made the move and this kid has come in here and done what we’ve asked him to do.

On handling disagreements with Rick Smith: “We talk all the time and we have no problem, we are at ease talking to each other. This is a very competitive business, as you know. When you’re in the season, or you’re in the offseason or you’re getting ready for the draft this is intense. It’s intense and everyone’s got opinions and in the end, when it relates to the team we’re the two decision-makers. If we agree on every decision then what’s the deal there? It’s not a bed of roses, that’s just the way it is, it’s the NFL. Now, we agree on a lot of things, there are a lot of things we agree on, but just like any organization, any successful place, you’re going to have some disagreements in the end. One of the things that it states in our contract is we go to Bob (McNair) if we have a disagreement, we have never had to do that, we just work it out. Maybe there’s something that Rick saw that I didn’t see or vice versa, but we’ve been able to work it out and make a decision. We get along, we talk, we text, we talk on the phone, we were together yesterday. Do we talk every day? Probably not because once I’m coaching the team it’s hard to maybe have that meeting every single day, but I’d say it’s rare that a day goes by where we don’t talk.”

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Who cares? Talent like Watson comes around very rarely and a team would be extremely lucky to find it. Only a dbag would make a thread pointing out what we don’t have and not mention what we have because if it. Thankfully he didn’t do that.

6. tenit86

tenit86 Member

lol what are you smoking

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Zierlein on the radio said it’s very hard with this franchise to figure out who picked what because of the whispers that are always leaking out of the front office. BOB does it as does RickSmith, usually to Ian Rapaport rather than local guys.

What we can piece together through the tea leaves is that BOB arrived here under the assumption that he’d have control of the 52. The first draft (Clowney Sua’Filo etc) was probably mostly his. The first time he realized Rick still had veto power was with Mallett when he wanted to waive him on the spot for missing the team flight, but there was no other backup QB available in a pinch. The following offseason, every indication was that Osweiler was thrust upon BOB, and even worse, that it was McNair who did the thrusting, insisting that we had had no star QBs in two years of O’Brien Ball. The strongest evidence for this is that no heads rolled when Os flopped and we had to dump a second rounder to save 17M from the second year of his contract guarantee as well as keep his toxic narcissism out of our clubhouse.

Over the last year or two the power pendulum has mostly swung back in Rick’s direction, and supposedly this year’s draft including trading for Watson was entirely his.

I say this not to support Rick smith. Here are the conclusions to be drawn from the past four years: 1. I like BOB as a head coach; he’s got some game clock management still to learn but overall the players are always motivated behind him. What he should NOT be is a coach-GM bc “his” drafts have blown. 2. Rick Smith is probably improving as a talent evaluator now having been on the job for forever. Above all things however he is a backstabbing snake who loves the leak game and is always watching out for numero uno. 3. McNair is a Jerry Jones Lite, with his fingerprints tacitly over all sorts of decisions. Rumors are that he scratches players up and down from the draft board and watches all-22 tape. Obviously he was the one behind Ed Reed for Glover Quin. Because of this a lot of bad decisions never cause his fall guy Rick to lose his job. 4. All things considered this is a pretty ****ing toxic working environment where roles are undefined, expectations unestablished, and repercussions for failure unfulfilled.

Like Parcells said, we are what our record is!

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If Watson can stay healthy, great.

Texans should've never allowed New England to snatch Garoppolo from them. So much bad has stemmed from that 2nd round. Wasted picks and wasted seasons.

9. Mr. Clutch

It's possible that O'Brien lost gradually lost power over personnel.

But in order to believe this, you'd have to agree that 1) O'Brien started off controlling the roster and 2) screwed up so badly that everyone upstairs lost confidence in him and stripped his power.

The Mallet one is a bad example. If O'Brien really wanted to have only 1 QB in his concussion generating system then he's crazy.

And on Osweiler, there were many positive quotes from O'Brien about how he wanted him. How he watched Brock's tape immediately after the season, how he had the big arm, size, leadership, etc. How he and Rick agreed to sign him. These are on the record quotes. Then Brock starts to suck and here come the leaks: it was all Rick!

So which to believe, the on the record quotes saying O'Brien tells Rick who he wants? Or the leaks that say Rick is responsible for all the bad moves and O'Brien for all the good ones? Well I tend to believe the on the record stuff because you can't lie with that stuff. McNair will read it. The leaks aren't connected to O'Brien and it shapes opinion for his next move (many people think the QB carousels and terrible roster aren't his fault at all, so this could get him another job).

This is how he got the Texans job after all. He was a genius at New England and Penn State! Although if you dig into his tenure at both places it wasn't great at all.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

True. It is doubtful everything happens the exact same way. But what if it was worse? What if it was Hopkins that got hurt? McKinney had multiple concussions? Clowney got busted for PEDs? Lol

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

“I don’t know where – look, I think, like I’ve said for umpteenth time, we have an organization here that works very well together,” O’Brien explained. “I decide who plays, Rick is in charge of personnel. I’m in charge of the 46-man game day roster.”

O’Brien continued, “I feel like every decision that I make is in the best interest of the team. Rick and I talk every single day about the roster, we go over every player. We just met this morning on the roster, we met yesterday on the roster. We have a good relationship. I don’t know. I just can’t understand it.”

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

O’Brien leans on Smith and his scouting department to handle finding the type of personnel he and his coaching staff need to run the team for daily operations and on game days. The two remain in constant communication on the status of the team. O’Brien leaves the holes in the roster that need to be filled to Smith. Smith and his personnel then find players who will fit. Finally, it is up to O’Brien to make those players work in practice and game days.

13. Mr. Clutch

So it sounds to me like OBrien has plenty of input

They built this monster together and should both be fired.

And lol at OBrien acting like he doesn't know where this is coming from. He spreads leaks blaming Rick for personnel decisions and he wonders why people ask him what he does?

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Have you ever had a job where you had to toe the company line to your clients, even though your personal beliefs may have been different? What about agreeing with your manager when defending decisions to other managers or departments outside of your own?

If anything, the press transcripts should be the things you LEAST believe, regardless of who is saying them. Sometimes BOB betrayed his true feelings on Osweiler by his body language, but numerous external sources have confirmed that he was not BOB’s choice, and maybe not even Rick’s, but perhaps McNair’s above all. That’s why no one got fired for the colossal mistake hat he was. McNair can’t fire himself!

I’m not on any person’s side here. Watson wasn’t BOB’s pick either: look at the video of Rick celebrating and BOB staring deadpan into his phone when the pick was made. In the end it’s hard within the Texans to see who deserves credit/blame for any of their moves, and that perhaps is the most damning criticism of all.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Lol bruh...

You ask for quotes, get them, and still deny the truth. The sun is shining but your eyes are closed so you declare it night.

INPUT is not the same thing as POWER. Say. Final word. The call. Nobody has said anything contrary to OBrien having input. Not him. Not us. Not you. I triple dog dare you to keep your eyes shut about having input versus having the ultimate decision making power. Maybe stick your fingers in your ears and hum too?

prohibido likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Then what are you arguing about?

Every link posted (yours and mine) says they work together to build the roster.

My position has always been that they work together and should be fired together.

17. Mr. Clutch

All of these external sources were vague leaks. Please put a name to them if you can. None are on the record.

Funny how O'Brien always looks good on these leaks but has admitted that Rick works with him and they've never taken a disagreement to McNair.

Of course his body language was bad. He realized after the fact that Osweiler was bad and tried to shift blame

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Fair enough, I guess my point is Rick Smith is Big Bob’s right hand. Not OBrien. I think we all are measuring the tree and where to chop, if they let both go I’d be good with it because even if OBrien goes on to coach many more years Rick Smith is the problem here. He’s below average at everything but deflecting blame, responsibility and media attention.

19. Mr. Clutch

Agreed Rick should definitely be gone and really I think McNair needs to sell the team because he doesn't put the right people in charge.

My only issue is with those absolving O'Brien of all blame by saying he had nothing to do with the roster.

If we keep either one I don't see much progress. We need a new GM and coach

Dankstronaut likes this.