1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow - 4th pick potentially to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 1234567, Dec 24, 2017.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Above average starter at best.

Watson is breaking records and doing things with the Texans offense we've never seen before. Superstar potential.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's be honest, the Browns could have 10 1st round picks and still wouldn't find a franchise QB.

Rockets34Legend and BigM like this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It’s inexcusable once you realize the SAME front office had knowledge that they were going to sign ZERO free agents that offseason. What’s the pointing of trading future picks for a year cap flexibility when you aren’t even going to be using that cap space?! Osweiler’s contract was only guaranteed two years, so the alternative was to waive him for nothing in return, lose 17M and keep the 2nd round pick.

Texans fans need to realize that at heart we have a cheap, meddling, racist owner that the sports karma gods are going to keep slapping around until he’s dead or has sold the team. Until then he McNairs will be football’s version of the Sterlings

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Losing the 1st round pick but having Watson doesn’t hurt at all. Cleveland would undo that trade in a second if they could have him. The 2nd round pick hurts because we gave it away.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

An actual debate: Which is better?

1. Texans now after trading many picks and spending big bucks for Osweiler and Watson

2. Texans with hometown hero and NFC North champion Case Keenum at QB and using all those QB-related draft picks and $$ on O-line and playmakers?

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No, I’m saying this team is totally flawed and 6ish games from Watson isn’t covering that up for me. The sheer stunning brilliance of Watson would’ve been good for 8 wins, maximum. Health or no health, this team Is iinherently flawed and that lies at the feet of Rick McNair. The OL and TE positions are fubarred. The WR depth is as crappy as it’s starters are great. The DL, the front 7, the whole defense is over invested and has never lived up to expectations. The secondary is triple fubarred. Special teams are fubarred. The best thing they have to count on is Jon weeks and Shane lechler. That’s the most solid thing going, except Hopkins.

This roster is fubarred and Watson isn’t blinding my eyes to that. Maybe I should’ve said it that way, looks like I didn’t make that clear.

tierre_brown likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OBrien and Rick building a roster together... Wow

They should never be part of personnel decisions again

whag00 likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

O’Brien has flat out stated his job as a backhand to the GM over and over. He is not to be held responsible for roster building.

9. Mr. Clutch

It is absolutely part of his job, and he made a lot of the personnel decisions, no matter how hard he tries to weasel out of it

10. showa13

showa13 Member

Guess I’m the only optimistic one here. It’s easier to build a team when you have the guy at QB who is a generational talent. I’m not putting it past Rick and OB to screw it up but if Deshaun is in the game this team has a chance to win any game. Future is bright guys cheer up.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just boycott the Texans until Bob McNair and Rick Smith are out. Yes I realize this will likely take Cal McNair at the helm and BOB fired many years earlier, but it is what it is. Either the Astros or Rockets win championships or no one in Houston does.

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

That’s your opinion, I guess. How many times would I have to say water is wet before you believed me?

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I agree but we do have to factor in opportunity costs associated with getting Watson and releasing Osweiller. What if they drafted Cam Robinson at 26 last year, traded their 2nd and a 4th for Jimmy G and drafted Fitzpatrick this year? I know thats a silly long shot hypothetical but it gives you an idea of how expensive Watson and Osweiller really were.

tierre_brown likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Well, all I can say is O'Brien is a master of playing the media with leaks and covering his ass.

He's had interviews where he states that he and Rick work together and have never taken a disagreement to McNair. He said Rick won't get them a player they don't want.

Then he talks to the media and says "i'm responsible for what happens on the field." Well sure, he's the head coach, but he has always had input in personnel too.

15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Key word in bold...

Edit: to say his/their penchant to “whisper” (as LZ puts it) is troubling. Not a good thing.

16. Mr. Clutch

We brought on a bunch of players who are O'Brien guys. Rick never made the decisions under Kubiak. I don't see why he would start now.

It's just funny to me that O'Brien doesn't take responsibility. Doesn't take responsibility for clock management or concussions either.

In any case, why would we give O'Brien that responsibility if he doesn't want it?

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Pats werent even discussing Jimmy G at the time...would have definitely loved to have him though, but Belichick was adamant about going into the season with Jimmy as the back up.

18. prohibido

prohibido Member

I don't mind you or anyone else having problems with BOB. He certainly invites it. But the idea that BOB is responsible for personnel selection is totally contrary to what everyone has said at every opportunity - BOB, Rick Smith, the owner - everyone always stresses that Rick Smith is in control of the roster and BOB is in control of who plays.

Of course the general manager will try to find players that fit the system of the head coach, even if that system is nearly impossible to identify.

I don't understand why you repeatedly underscore your understandable dissatisfaction with BOB by leaning on a complete falsehood. It's annoying to continually read ridiculous lies, especially outside the D&D, and it distracts from whatever legitimate argument you may have.

TheFreak and Dankstronaut like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Sorry, it's simply not true. I'm not spreading any falsehoods.

Please show me the quotes otherwise.

"In control of the roster" (which probably isn't even an accurate quote) just means he makes the transactions. It doesn't mean OBrien doesn't tell him who to get.

There was an interview before the season where OBrien specifically said that Rick won't get the coaches a player they don't want, that they have a great relationship, that they've never taken a disagreement to McNair.

When he was hired people said O'Brien would be making the calls, and we saw it on hard knocks. Then he brought all the new England retreads and it was obvious.

Rick has never been a guy to build the roster. Kubiak and Phillips picked third guys. It makes zero sense that he would start now.

But show me the quotes that Rick makes all the roster decisions and obrien none.

It's just funny to me that O'Brien is shifting blame now that things have gone south. He never said those things the first couple years.

20. prohibido

prohibido Member

The responsibility for the roster is Smith's. It has been covered endlessly by media all over the place, from Pancakes to the Washington Post. Rick Smith has said explicitly that he has the final word on the roster. You can keep saying that BOB has significant control over the roster but you are wrong.

Rockets34Legend and Dankstronaut like this.