1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Want Tracy Back for the Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Big MAK, Feb 23, 2009.

Tags:
?

Want Tracy in Playoffs?

1. Yes

95 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

209 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Which TMac are you talking about?

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

It depends when Tmac can get back. If gets back like two weeks before playoff begins then it might be possible to bring him back. But if he comes back like a day before playoff starts? No freakin' way! Tmac will be out of shape and won't have the time to adjust to the flow of the team. You'd have a relapse of the "cancer" Mcgrady who actually caused his team to lose games. I'd only accept back in that scenario if he's only there as insurance in case we get injured again, and gets only around 10-15 mins of playing time max.

3. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Under what conditions would have been an addition to this poll. Didn't vote because of the missing clause.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No way. This has been deja vu of Webber and the Kings in 2004. He RUINED that squad by rejoining it and expecting to be the primary option right off the bat. They were gangbusters without him, and he killed their chemistry to the point that Vlade couldn't get out of Sacramento fast enough and Peja quit on them and wanted out like no one's business.

But adding that 19-9 facilitator on offense was going to make them better for the playoffs right? They had no hope without him, right?

43-15 without him
    12-12 in the month and half with him back hijacking the offense on a bum knee

major parallels.

5. King901

King901 Member

Tmac period.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It amazes me that people undervalue how important and fragile chemistry is....

DD

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn't you say that McGrady was doing a better job when he came back in January?

It's not an issue of trust with McGrady. He's a willing passer. Sometimes people get on him for being too willing a passer in crunch time. On occassion he'll look for his own shot when a teammate is open, but that's not because of lack of trust -- it's to get himself going. Every scorer will do that from time to time.

McGrady's problem was he didn't run the floor, didn't play good defense, didn't move well without the ball, and he didn't drive to the basket often enough when he got the ball. Part of that is his mental approach, sure, but it would be silly to overlook how his bad knee played into that.

If by some miracle McGrady had been fully healthy all season, I think we'd be a 40-win team right now. But at this stage, it's best to move on. Whether McGrady makes us better or not for the playoffs is almost immaterial. We're not going to win it all anyways, and the priority should be developing this team for life after Mcgrady.

8. DaDakota

Tmac has never completely bought in, there have been glimpses, but when it gets late in the game, who has the ball in his hands 100% of the time and is going to make that crucial decision?

Yep, Tmac....and that is why he has failed time and time again.

If he allowed OTHERS to make that decision - AB passes to Wafer in Boston, AB makes the shot against Dallas to name 2.....then it would signal true growth as a player.

DD

9. landryfans

landryfans Member

Only if he plays defense off bench, very much anti-Tmac behavior. Otherwise it is not fair for other players, there still sth. more important than winning a game.

10. ibm

ibm Member

for all mcgrady fans, y'all realize you can still watch him play on tv even if he's traded to another, right?

just wanted to make sure.

but what happens after he retires or when he's 45? are you gonna watch his glory days on tape all day? ("damn, a peak mcgrady was soooooo amazing, uuuuuuuu..." lol.)

11. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

If he is healthy and sits out a few weeks and YES! He has proven to ELEVATE his game in the playoffs scoring a little over 27 ppg!!

chron.com — "It's my fault, we missed free throws. It's my fault we lost both games. It's my fault we fouled to tie the game up. That's my fault. It's my fault they get easy layups. It's my fault we're not executing well on the offensive end. It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

12. DaDakota

All the FATERS should post in every TMAC Thread...simply.

"Tmac thread - FATER here !"

DD

13. durvasa

It's not about him allowing others to make that decision. You write this as if he's ripping the ball away from other players and forcing them to stand around and watch. His teammates and the coaches look to him to make the plays down the stretch, just as Cleveland looks to LeBron, LA looks to Kobe, Boston looks to Pierce, etc. Every team will go to their primary playmakers more often down the stretch of a close game. Even Yao is far more involved at the end of close games than he would be otherwise (and he hasn't been particularly efficient either). That's just how it is.

14. DaDakota

Not anymore, and wow....look, they are winning.

DD

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

ONLY...if he's pretty much 100% or very close to it.

16. ibm

ibm Member

i was wondering where all those were who had said he'd be back ONLY when completely healed and ready to go.

but now, no, it's even if he's SEMI, we'd be CRAZY for not taking him back. lol.

do the fans of a certain player somehow reflect that player's character as well?

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I don't know if that's the case or not. For me, I'm not the "what have you done for me lately" type. Yes, yes, I know, people will just say no 2nd rounds from Tracy. I just counter with, no playoffs without T-Mac. It's useless bickering, so I try to just not get into all that.

I do believe you see about working him back into the rotation if he's only 100% or very near to 100%. If he's ANYTHING like he has been in his poorer games this season, you obviously say, sit and get ready for next season.

With all that said, we've only seen 2 games since the "announcement." A JT-less Mavs which SO often kills us, and a pretty bad Bobcats team. Does that mean we would have won/loss with TMac, who knows, but I'm hardly ready to proclaim this team as a contender all of the sudden.

Just as I know not to get too down on a few games, I know not to get too up for a few games. There is still many games left, and we'll see where it all goes. It looks promising, so let's hope it continues that way.

18. durvasa

Yes, they're winning. They've beaten SAC, NJN, DAL, and CHA in succession, at home, and I'm happy. If McGrady was a healthy, those type of win streaks would be common occurrences this year, and we wouldn't be thinking anything of it.

What's hurt us this year has been inconsistency with who's playing, and our 2 of our big 3 have been playing hobbled most of the time when they're on the court. Those are the type of issues that come with an aging McGrady, and its why we're better off moving on from him. But under the hypothetical scenario where he's actually healthy and able to stay on the court, there's no question in my mind we'd be a better team for it.

Also, the Rockets are going to be relying on Yao a lot more in these close games without McGrady. So, yes, that tendency to rely on stars won't go away, it's just shifting more to Yao than it was in the past. The difference is that the plays don't start in his hands, so while he's going to be the main target on most plays, the decision making is still more distributed.

#38 durvasa, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  19. leonking

leonking Rookie

He will be back no matter what.

20. wizard

wizard Member

Come playoff time I'll take a "HEALTHY" T-mac in the playoffs. Totally different ball game in the playoffs and we could use all the help we can get.