1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Watt for Luck?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by apcgamb24, Oct 13, 2014.

?

Watt for Luck?

1. Yes

236 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

86 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And those QB's, with the possible exception or Manning, are nothing without a solid O line to protect them and offensive weapons for them to use....even then, if their D doesn't hold, they still lose. The Texans lost a ton of high scoring games back when Schaub was a good QB because the defense was one of the worst in the league.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

The Colts oline is good?

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the texans record last year, wasnt a true reflection on the team, I think after losing 8 or 9 games, the texans just tanked.

arian foster got injured, and he went to surgery, other players were injured and they were on IR texans tried with keenum to see if he was the future.

Also the jets went to the AFC championship twice with Mark Sanchez at QB.
    when the Jets defense started losing key players, then the team started to lose.

So, that could mean that a good defense with a below average QB, could win deep in the playoffs.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Never said it was, they aren't a legitimate contender either, they're not even as good as the Texans were a few years ago with good Schaub.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Hypothetical..

You swap Andrew Luck with Ryan Fitzpatrick and JJ Watt.

Do they win more/less games this season?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the offense would be better but the defense would be a lot worse. It could be a wash.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Umm.. Most posters have said Watt is better. It's Luck's position ( and talent level ) that makes him more valuable.

During Schaub's prime, the Texans were routinely at or above .500. How did you figure they lost "a ton of games" due to subpar defense? Oh, I know.... you exaggerated to make a point. Yet again.

Sanchez played much better than "below average" in those playoffs.

Also, let's keep in mind those responses are comparing an ENTIRE defense to one player (QB). This thread is about ONE defensive player (Watt) vs a QB (Luck). If the question morphs into trading A DOMINANT DEFENSE for LUCK people might reconsider their choice of taking the QB.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you were a fan of the team back then and you watched the games, you'd know. In no way was that exaggeration.

He was killing it by averaging 192 yards per game which is a full 2 yards per game better than Geno Smith is doing this year. His QB rating was solid, but don't fool yourself, he wasn't a good QB by any stretch of the imagination, the Jets defense won those games.

Keep in mind that you're not talking about trading for an elite offense, just one player. I know some people fool themselves into thinking that the QB position essentially IS the offense, but fortunately we are better than those people right?

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I watched every game. Schaub's 2-1 td-int ratio wasn't greatness. The team went 8-8. Only in your world did they lose a ton of games due to defense.

All I said is he was clearly better than "below average". I was refuting a posters claim that he was subpar. Also, the run game had something to do with their winning along with the defense.

QB is clearly by far the most essential player in an offense. Any claim to the contrary is silly.

10. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

They lost a lot of games in 2010 due to terrible defense while having a highly-ranked offense with Foster and Schaub going off. Defense was okay in '09 when they went 9-7. I don't even remember much about '07 or '08. Slaton's good rookie season is all that stands out in my head. Oh and the Rosencopter.

11. Remii

Remii Member

The Texans would be a playoff team probably with home field advantage.

Indy would be in the suck for the duck (or Winston) race.

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

2010 also featured missed FGs and a botched Hail Mary. Regardless, a 2-1 ratio is NOT "going off" except for, well, Schaub.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

I love Watt and think he is the most unique and best player in the game...but I would make this trade in a heartbeat.

A young qb who is on the verge of becoming elite is way more important than 1 individual defensive player who just got a 100 million dollar contract. If all things are equal gimme the qb on that contract and draft exclusively defense for a couple of years.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Watt can be neutralized? Doesn't seem like it.

And great QB's can be neutralized, like Peyton Manning seems to be every year in the playoffs. The two consensus best QBs of the era haven't won a Super Bowl in quite a while.

#114 Mr. Clutch, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  15. Mr. Clutch

If we had a decent QB (Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Ryan, Cam, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Flacco, etc.), would people still make this trade?

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

All those QBs have a bigger impact on their teams than watt.

17. Mr. Clutch

18. Mr. Clutch

Doubtful, but even if true I wouldn't trade Watt for any of them.

And I wouldn't trade Watt for Luck if we had one of them.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

JJ watt was pretty good last year and they were 2-14. No one defensive player can have that much impact on a team.

20. Mr. Clutch

Falcons were 4-12.