1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CoolGuy, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

1. Yes, make the trade

59 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, stand pat

343 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Have you noticed a trend between all of those Quarterbacks?

I'll just tell you..

only 3 out of the 11 have been starters on multiple teams in their career..Peyton, Brees and Cutler.

Only Cutler was traded.. For Kyle Orton, a 3rd round pick and TWO 1st round picks..

Cutler a young above average QB, for that kinda haul??

You can't just acquire an above average QB.. Have the league is fighting to get their hands on one..

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

As they are for many other positions.

3. Remii

Remii Member

They "may have" actually had that opportunity in this year's draft. Blake, Johnny, and Teddy. One of those players "may" turn out to be a good quarterback.

As far as trading Watt for a quarterback... We're just discussing it hypothetically but in actuality no team will trade an above average quarterback for J.J. If Rick Smith called Atlanta and tried to get them to trade us Ryan for J.J. _ they would probably laugh in his face and hang up the phone.

4. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

It's so funny how attached fans get to some players. Yes, Watt is a great player and a very likable figure on this continuously underachieving team. And I know some people want to hold onto one of the few good assets on this team.

But if you take emotion out of it and just imagine this team with Matt Ryan.... We would be talking about winning the division and making a run in the playoffs. Now we're talking about getting through the season to hopefully draft a Matt Ryan next year.

QBs rule this league!

5. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

You really want more of Atlanta's trash?

DID YOU NOT GET ENOUGH FROM SCHAUB?!?!

This is nonsense. Get back to work or go spend time with your family instead of making everyone's day worse by even bringing up such a bad topic.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why 3 of the last 4 QB's in the SB have been either mediocre at best or game managers. The 4th of course was one of the greatest QB's of all time, but his team didn't win.

If QB's really ruled this league, teams with Brees, Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers would win the SB every single year and teams with QB's like Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, and Russell Wilson would never win the SB. Defense wins championships almost always, an elite QB like Peyton Manning can get you pretty far and in his prime possibly win it all, but a really good defense beats a really good offense almost always.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but the Ravens had HOFers on their defense that stepped up in the playoffs. Not just any defense holds the Pats to 13 points, especially that Patriots offense. If the Texans' defense performed that well, they probably are in the SB with Schaub.

8. Pete the Cheat

Flacco has had a mediocre career, but his SB post season was an abberation and one of the most dominant playoff runs in NFL history. I would argue that SB fell squarely on his shoulders (which is why he got overpaid the following offseason)

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So? San Francisco's defense was much better. And, btw, the defense stepped up once. They otherwise gave up 35 to Denver; 31 to San Francisco. (They did limit an overmatched Indianapolis on the road to 9 - but... it was an overmatched Indianapolis.)

I spend a lot of time in this forum differentiating between being a playoff contender, and being a Super Bowl contender. IMO, there's no such thing as a Super Bowl contender - too many unpredictable variables can crop up (like Joe Flacco going on a Montana-like run) and render the playoffs a total crapshoot. Once the postseason starts, in my mind, the slate is wiped clean and *everybody* is then a Super Bowl contender. And the difference is often an ill-timed Rahim Moore jump.

But *getting* to the playoffs? Yeah, that almost certainly requires that you have an above-average (if not really, really good) QB for 16 weeks. And that's why guys like Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc., are so revered and coveted. Give Wilson and Fitzpatrick the same Seattle teams, and I promise you Wilson’s team will go to the playoffs more often; even more so, obviously, if we did the same experiment with Manning/Fitzpatrick.

It’s silly to distill the importance of the QB position down to a single 60-minute game.

10. Remii

Remii Member

This...

One thing I find interesting though _ Green Bay had an excellent defense when they won the super bowl but Rodgers gets all the credit.

Most super bowl champions are good on both sides of the ball.

11. ln3012

ln3012 Member

i don't understand this logic. you just named about half of the starting QBs in the NFL. most of them have done nothing to make their teams contenders despite being good to great qbs.

12. Hey Now!

QBs have, and will always, receive way more credit than they deserve, win or lose. That's why we have a guy in this thread posting Matt Ryan's W/L record as if he was playing 1-on-22.

As for Rodgers specifically, he was really, really good in that SB, really, really good that postseason, and really, really good that year.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Except for Flacco...Lol..

14. Hey Now!

He got paid *a lot* of money for his run....

15. Mr. Clutch

Other way around.

Watt is the best defensive player and Ryan is maybe in the top 10 but maybe not? He's so good and important yet they can barely win in the playoffs?

QB is more important but you don't trade the #1 defensive player and a potential hall of famer for the 15th best QB.

The Texans could have drafted a few QBs but chose not to. They are not impossible to find as some suggest.

16. Mr. Clutch

Why would fans get attached the best defensive player and a guy who looks like a hall of famer?

So weird how fans think.

But seriously, you think Ryan makes us super bowl contenders but losing watt doesnt hurt us at all?

17. Mr. Clutch

If half the league has great QBs then they must not be that hard to find.

If QBs are impossible to find Bob should have taken Bortles or Garoppolo.

#117 Mr. Clutch, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  18. Mr. Clutch

What GMs say

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ranking-32-nfl-qbs-tier/story?id=24728282

T-8. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons (2.23 average rating)

I was surprised to see Ryan command zero Tier 1 votes and six Tier 3 votes. Nearly everyone said Ryan needed to prove himself in the playoffs. There was a feeling Ryan would never be able to carry his team the way the very best QBs have.

That's not a knock, either. "If you told me I'm getting a guy who can win 10 games and get you to the championship game and lose, I'd take it in a heartbeat," one former GM said.

The other former GM said it's become clear to him Ryan cannot carry a team. "I think he has potential, but I see a guy that is a little bit hesitant and cannot pull the trigger," this former GM said. "From afar, it looks like the more Matt Ryan has on his plate, the less productive he becomes."

One evaluator noted that Ryan has benefited from outstanding receiving weapons: Julio Jones can win jump balls; Roddy White, a former wrestler, knows how to fight for position; and the recently retired Tony Gonzalez was a master at using leverage to make life easier for quarterbacks.

One of the pro personnel evaluators called Ryan a "solid starter who will never be a top-five player" at the position. Another put it this way: "He's the most disappointing guy to me. He does not have a great line or run game, but other guys overcome that and are better than Ryan has been. You can throw stats away at some point and it's just a feel for the player."

19. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Done nothing?? Everyone of those teams has made the playoffs..

Robert Quinn is now popularly considered the other top Dlineman in the league, his team isn't a PLAYOFF contender.. Wonder why?

20. Mr. Clutch

Neither are the Falcons.

Wonder why?