1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CoolGuy, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

1. Yes, make the trade

59 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, stand pat

343 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I get your sarcasm here, and I agree. but for my own curiosity, what was the last team that won with a bad QB.

I honestly don't know, and there may have been many, so Im asking. I would venture to say Wilson has been the worst in a while, but he was a game manager and didn't make a lot of mistakes and really smart with the scrambling, so I don't think he was that bad.

I know how you feel about Flacco so I am taking him off the table. Lets try and come up with another instance like that please.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Joe Flacco?
    Trent Dilfer?
    Brad Johnson?

As far as I can remember (probably 1991 when I was 9 lol) the times that a team won the Super Bowl without an Elite QB had a historic or elite defense.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade him for anything.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

2015 -
    RYAN FITZPATRICK

lol

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ha! He can't do worse than what we saw last year from our QBs.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Do you think having a good offensive line is important to a quarterback...??? The "experts" considered Seattle's offensive line one of the 5 worst in the NFL (worst than the Texans). Russell didn't have a lot of options to throw to last season either (you see how much better he looked when Percy was on the field). I think people sale him "short" :grin:

Flacco isn't a good regular season quarterback but he's fire if the team can get him to the playoffs (just like Eli).

Besides Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson... I think "maybe" you can throw Big Ben in the mix when he got his 1st ring.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

HEEEELLLLLLLL NO!

8. Raven

Raven Member

#### no. Watt is the best def player, in the league, and he's only 25 years old. Replacing him would be a lot tougher than acquiring a decent QB. After all, half the starting QBs are above average, by definition, yet Watt is the single best def player in the league. If the Texans want a quality veteran QB, they can simply trade future picks for one. They don't have to give up a young player who's already destined for the Hall of Fame after only playing two seasons.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well Wilson was a game manager and omitting the QB before that there was the 08 Giants who didn't have a bad QB, but he wasn't anything special, then before that you had the 06 Steelers that had a flat out terrible QB performance in the SB.

The team with the better QB will occasionally win the SB, but the team with the better defense will almost always win the SB. In fact I can't think of an example of when the clear cut better defense lost the SB.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Scratch that, the Colts when they beat the Bears was an example of that, either way, it's incredibly rare.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Heeeellll no. :confused:

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No team would trade a... top 12(ish) starting QB for JJ Watt - unless he was old, broken down and/or constantly hurt. And only then if had a viable back-up. I'm trying to think what teams might deal their QB for Watt (besides teams with awful QBs who would do it in a naosecond; like Minnesota isn;t personally driving Christian Ponder here themselves...)...

Roethlisberger, Manning and Rivers, possibly. The Dolphins and Bengals would consider Tannenhill and Dalton, for sure. The Ravens would do Flacco is a second, just to get out of his contract. Alex Smith. Maybe Romo - but only because his back is a giant issue. Possibly Cutler ($$)... Bradford.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oh, I think you could argue San Fran's defense was significantly better than Baltimore's.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rivers, Kaepernick, Cam.

I also wouldn't trade Watt for some of the older top QBs given the Texans aren't contending this year anyways.

15. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I wouldn't even trade Watt for 2x Super Bowl Champ in Eli Manning. Matt Ryan ain't taking the Texans anywhere.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Are you talking about Big Manning or Lil Manning... I definitely don't think Elway would trade Payton for J.J. The Bears wouldn't trade Cutler considering their strength is now on the offensive side of the ball (maybe if they would have kept Josh). Cincinnati probably wouldn't _ as good as J.J. is they don't necessarily need him. Detroit and K.C. have pretty solid defensive lines so they probably wouldn't either. And maybe Jerry would've considered it if he would have drafted Johnny.

Flacco, Tannenhill, and Eli possibly _ but why...???

How many teams have won a super bowl with the defensive end being the highest paid and best player on the defense in the past 14 years are so...? The Giants are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I can't even remember the DE's Pittsburgh had.

17. Indaface

Indaface Member

JJ is our guy and has embraced Houston like no athlete has in a long time...no chance on making that deal.

18. Mr. Clutch

Reggie White

19. Mr. Clutch

Definitely not.

Those giant teams really won on defense.

So did Seattle. Not because of Russell Wilson.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't want to go into the 90's because that was a different era of money spending and they also had Favre... But that's 2...