1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CoolGuy, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

1. Yes, make the trade

59 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, stand pat

343 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Absolutely not.
    I would consider it IF they offered Ryan AND their first round pick next draft.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The way some of you look at this in a vacuum is bizarre.

Yes, QBs are more important than any other position. But there's more than one way to get one. The comparison isn't as much Watt to Ryan as it is Ryan to whoever the Texans can end up drafting, signing, or developing in 2015/2016 as the "future" at QB.

To me, Ryan isn't elite... and if you're talking about a non-elite guy, I'd rather keep a proven elite defender in Watt and take my chances behind QB Door #2 than settle for an expensive, middle-aged, pretty-good-but-not-great quarterback. If your team is led by Matt Ryan, you're not winning a Super Bowl without a great supporting cast, the likes of which the Texans are already trying to build with the likes of Watt and Clowney. So even if that's the model, I'd much rather keep Watt and try to draft/sign/develop a fringe top 10 QB from within. I think you'd have better odds developing a QB of that caliber than finding another defensive lineman close to as disruptive as Watt.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Ryan had a terrible year last season, the only QB who fell harder between 2012 and 2013 was Schaub. I think Ryan's below the cutoff and nor do I think Watt would get us a Cam/Luck/Rodgers. That list probably extends to the rest of the top 10 QBs in the league.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

Aaron Rodgers is a no doubter, and even though I love JJ, you'd probably have to do it for Luck and Newton as well. Brees, Manning, Brady only questionable because of age. Kaepernick? That may be it.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is there any player outside of a QB you'd trade him for?

7. Houston Rockets

Richard Sherman IMO maybe the only guy on defense I would think about trading him for

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lets just trade Fitzpatrick for cam. Now we're contenders :cool:

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I tried to have this argument but instead of matt ryan, use someone like Phillip Rivers or Matthew Stafford.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no. If BOB was around he'd have you running laps for even suggesting it.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jj is the face of the franchise, he retires a Texan.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

No and they wouldn't trade him for Watt

13. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

You act as though it is so easy to get a top 10 qb.... Lets see how long it takes the texans to get a qb thats worth anything.

14. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

no

defense can win you a championship. Look at last year Best QB and best offense in the league got destroyed by the top defense and a mediocre QB (although he still has room to grow).

15. newAge_Rockets

This thread is just....lol. Watt will live on forever as a Houston legend well after his career is over. Ryan is a very forgettable quarterback that is regressing. I chose Watt and Future QB Tom Savage over Ryan (even though I still think it was a mistake that we didn't trade our 2nd and 4th to pick Teddy B)

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There isn't a single player in the NFL I would trade JJ Watt for.

Prove me wrong.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Seattle's defense has no elite defensive lineman like J.J. but they do have 2 elite safeties, one elite corner back, and LB's that can cover. They use their secondary to create time for their defensive lineman to get to the quarterback. Their defensive blueprint is a lot different than others...

Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Seattle are the only super bowl champs that leaned on their defense. So that's just 5 super bowl champs that can be pointed to that won a super bowl without the help of great quarterback play over the past 15 plus years. And 3 of those 5 super bowl champs had work horse power running backs such as Jamal Lewis, The Bus, and Lynch to lean on offensively.

The term "defense wins championships" may be true but it may also be greatly exaggerated because if it wasn't, more defensive dependant teams would be winning super bowls.

But with that said _ I wouldn't trade J.J. for Matt Ryan unless Julio Jones was coming with him.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Wow that would be scary. Crazy how a QB's stock goes that high because his team won the superbowl. Yuck.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I hope he retires a Rocket

20. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

No way I trade JJ for Ryan. The only considerations would be Rodgers because he could single-handedly carry this offense and is not old yet and Andrew Luck because of his greatness potential combined with youth.