1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Dwight Howard for Kevin Love?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 12, 2015.

?

Would you trade Dwight Howard for Kevin Love

1. Yes, I would trade Howard for Love

16.3%
  2. No, I would not trade Howard for Love

83.7%
  1. derp

derp Member

Exactly. One of the main reasons why the Rockets are as good as what they are is because of their defense. This trade would be getting rid of the main reason for that great defense and our whole team would suffer.

Am I the only one who remembers what it was like when Asik came off the floor 3 seasons ago? We literally went from top 5 defense to dead last in the league. That is what this trade does.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Dwight is a huge part of the defensive side of the equation.

Can we clarify things here? Are people voting to trade Howard for Love this season?

3. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

So you see love becoming an elite defender/ rim protector...Put him up against Aldridge and Z-Bo and see what happens...Harden has Ariza and Beverley at his side although he has improved tremendously..In this situation Love would have D-Mo...I fail to see what you are missing here

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No way I do this deal.

The Rockets' defense would crumble in the long-term without Dwight. Sure, Dmo is playing solid one-on-one defense and seems to be a pretty good pick and roll defender but he does not protect the rim and he can't change the mindset and game plan of the entire opposing team like Dwight does.

This situation reminds me of when Dwight was with Orlando and Gortat was his backup. I remember folks (including JVG if my memory serves me) said the Gortat was actually the superior one-on-one post defender due to his discipline and fundamentals. How many DPOY has Gortat won since then? A solid, fundamentally sound defender at PF/C is no replacement for a shot-blocking, mobile beast in the paint. Not even close.

I'm also of the opinion that much of Harden's improvement on defense this year is due to his new team mates. I'm afraid if we were to throw another poor defender in with him (even without taking into consideration the loss of Dwight) it would be like bringing Parsons and his non-existent defense back to the team.

Let's not forget that Dwight turns it up in the playoffs and that he carried a team to the Finals. Sure, he was younger and healthier then but it takes a certain mindset to what he did. Love hasn't carried any team anywhere and it's starting to look like he brings failure to each franchise he joins. I'll pass.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed, and that's why I'd personally only do the trade in conjunction with something like KPap for Mozgof.

Mozgof truly is a decent stop-gap, gets you something nice back in return that is tall, can play some defense, get boards and score 8-10 ppg per game. And would only cost $5 million next year.

Take away Dwight's $22, assume KLove opts out, add in Mozgof's $5, and you have net created $17 million of cap space you didn't have.

You'd be sitting at somewhere around $35 million or so of salary next offseason excluding PBev, Canaan, Shved you could use to either resign Love, go hard after Dragic, go hard after LMA... .whatever.

Very very risky move of course.

I just do it more because of my feelings on Dwight then anything.

7. dream2franchise

I've read some posts and skimmed others.

Can we just wait and see how Dwight performs in the playoffs. So far it's been Dwight that's stepped up and Harden that's under performed.

Let's see what we have for at least TWO complete seasons. The impatience on here sometimes...

Furthermore. If Dmo just works on his 3pt shot then we have no need for Love and his awesome D.

Imagine...all that wining and dining for Dwight, then we ship him off at the first opportunity.

I get as frustrated as anyone when I see him not close out or seal off the rim, but his mere presence alone under the basket boosts our defense and alters shots. That isn't happening with any front court that features Kevin Love.

I'd wager there are still off-court matters going on, and there's certainly lingering knee issues. Not to mention the inability to get him the ball at opportune moments leading to frustration and complacency.

All that said, he's the one that kept us alive in the playoffs. He played large.

Let's just wait it out and let this team develop some chemistry.

1 person likes this.
  8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Kevin Love for Dwight?

Only if they threw in LeBron James.

Kevin Love plays no Defence, has never made the playoffs, is brittle like an old lady & is soft like a toasted marshmallow.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Philosophical differences as to in-side big man v. outside aside, I think Howard compliments Harden better than Love. In addition, we already have DMO. So why bother.
    I voted NO.

10. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Kevin Love sucks

i knew this scrub only put up numbers on bad teams and never won anything.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Any questions about Kevin Love have been answered this season. His stats look nice but he makes zero impact on the result of a game....and we are talking regular season here. Let alone playoffs!

So no. Just no.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Perception is reality. Dwight is a superstar and has been since his Orlando days. I wish you would appreciate Dwight more as he is the man anchoring our elite defense. Additionally, people need to start understanding that Dwight isn't offensively challenged. He is very much a threat offensively and the only reason he doesn't average 20 points a game is because he gets a lot of attention to contain him.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Also people want to act like he is not getting mauled in the paint

Rocket River

14. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

D12 is the key element of our defense. It would be stupid to trade that away for KLove.

15. kemah

kemah Member

Love will bring about the same PPG avg. as Howard but a lot less defensively so why trade for him. Love has never shown he is a difference maker on any team he has joined.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Offensive rating ranking in the league / defensive rating ranking in the league, reverse chronological order by NBA champions.

11 of the last 24 champions had a better offensive rating ranking - see asterik. 13 had a better defensive rating ranking. Almost universally they were good at both. There's been some great defensive winners with poor offense. And some great offensive winners with poor defense.

Also of note, though not surprising, is that its the teams led by those dominant wing players that were the ones better at offensive than defense. 5 of Jordan's 6 teams were better offensively than defensively. Again, great defensively, but amazing offensively. 3 of the 5 Laker championships. And 2 out of the 3 heat championships. And one of the Rockets championships - the one where Drexler was there. Basically all of the repeat winners of the last 20+ years, except the Spurs.

This isn't all together surprising. Dominant backcourt/small forward teams are more likely to win as much if not more so with offense than defense. Dominant frontcourt teams are more likely to win with defense.

I don't think there's a take away here... just noting that offense and defense are equally important.

7 / 3 (Spurs)
    2 / 9 (Heat) *
    8 / 4 (Heat)
    8 / 8 (Mavs)
    11 / 4 (Lakers)
    3 / 6 (Lakers) *
    10 / 1 (Celtics)
    5 / 2 (Spurs)
    7 / 9 (Heat) *
    8 / 1 (Spurs)
    18 / 2 (Pistons)
    7 / 3 (Spurs)
    2 / 7 (Lakers) *
    2 / 21 (Lakers) *
    5 / 1 (Lakers)
    11 / 1 (Spurs)
    9 / 3 (Bulls)
    1 / 4 (Bulls) *
    1 / 1 (Bulls) *
    7 / 12 (Rockets) *
    15 / 2 (Rockets)
    2 / 7 (Bulls) *
    1 / 4 (Bulls) *
    1 / 7 (Bulls) *

1 person likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dwight has carried a team to the finals.

Love has a carried a team to... to... um...

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

He is an integral piece of a LeBron led team that is *above average* in the East.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about DMo for Kevin Love?

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need to go and Compare Dwight's Playoff Stats to Love's Playoff Stats

I know Dwight Turns it up in the Playoffs

Rocket River