1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2015.

?

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

1. YES

277 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. NO

720 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Please admit that Smith would make it a Big 5.

kidding

2. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Dragic, Harden, Ariza, D-Mo, Howard

with a bench of :Beverly, Canaan, Brewer, Smith, (Not Dorsey)

Freaking awesome.

3. RocketScientist

That's what i'm saying, lets have it all!

Isnt the question right now whether we would give up Jones or D-MO? If it is, then for me right now i would keep D-Mo.

If not, has Phoenix indicated that they have no interest in Jones?

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If the desperate Lakers give Dragic the max, I don't know how the Rockets could keep him. So, D-Mo for a four-month rental?

I shall pass on this, but thank you, madame or monsieur!

5. RocketScientist

We will sign Goran to a max-deal in the offseason. Why, you ask?!? Because in a couple of years that max won't be max as the salary caps go way the * up. So no-brainer and no big deal for max contract.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

No.

Dragic is good. But you just don't trade DMo for the rental of Dragic for at most 4 months. With the Lakers willing to offer Max, the Rockets are not going to retain him after this summer.

7. rocketsmetalspd

I am with you on this. Can not give DMo but IF they want TJones then do it or anyone else(Capela, Canaan)

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dragic might be my favorite player in the NBA and I still say NO. If we want to pay Dragic the max we can do that this offseason without getting rid of our rising star big man in the process.

Anyway, Pels pick + Jones + filler should do it. I can't see the Suns getting a better offer elsewhere.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why wouldn't they? If the Rockets traded for him, they'd have his Bird rights meaning they could go over the cap to sign him to more than anyone else could offer....also, why would he leave the Rockets, a contender, to go play on the 2nd best team in LA next to one of the worst teammates in the league?

10. Rocket_Man_2.0

Trading Dmo for a half-season Dragic rental...no way! I'll give them a 1st round pick or two second round picks. But none of our young players...Dmo is still growing and developing as a player. 7 foot skilled big men are rare. Talented big men are worth more than pg's. It would have to be a allstar pg..which Dragic is not.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

just because he was legitimately snubbed, and you probably dont follow him enough doesn't mean dragic isn't a legit all star

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

btw he was rewarded by making an all nba team. far more worth then an all star selection

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wouldn't, but I won't be too upset if we do. A second play maker could elevate the level of play of everyone on the team.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

7 foot mobile bigs with a low post game are much mroe valuable than dime a dozen PG's whose role will anyway be slightly dimished with Harden here.

So NO

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Actually, we can't. Unless the cap goes up more than expected, we'll have about 8 million in cap space.

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

With Howard injured right now and likely to need a good few weeks to get back into the groove of things I don't really see a line up of

Dragic/Beverley/Cannan
    Harden/Terry/Johnson/Schved
    Ariza/Brewer/Kostas
    Jones/Smith
    Howard (questionable)/Dorsey/Capela

Too many variables to consider:
    -Howard may not be 100% healthy, which would leave us Dorsey, Smith and Capela @ center
    -Jones is just coming back from his nerve injury and just missed a game or two since coming back
    -Losing a few players that are in the rotation is a hit or miss

So basically we strengthen our back court but leave our front court completely open for abuse against the Spurs, Trail Blazers, Clippers, Thunder, Mavericks... geez no thanks. We're already short handed as it is in the tall department. I'd rather roll the dice on trying to acquire Dragic in FA, that way we're still able to retain some pieces to pull off a impactful trade in the near future.

If Howard/Jones were healthier I wouldn't hate trading Dmo+picks+(filler salary) for Dragic (if he actually committed to resigning with us). As it stands we finally found a legit 6'9+ PF why is everyone so excited to get rid of him? In a conference where the PF position is so solid why would we further weaken our team? Adding Dragic and subtracting Dmo seems like a lateral move at best right now, no way does that make our team better right now.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bird rights are a thing.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I misread

19. 34to11

34to11 Member

He had a stellar year last season, definitely All-Star caliber, but he has regressed to the mean this year.
    Funny how no one seems to want to acknowledge that.

I would love to have him on this team, but because he fits and fills obvious needs, not because I think he will duplicate his All NBA performance of a year ago.
    We have to remember he did that with a team that failed to make the playoffs.
    I don't think circumstances will conspire to allow the same with a true contender.

That's part of the reason why it is hard for me to see giving up D-Mo as a smart move without assurances of a Dragic re-sign and another quality big coming back.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We have 3 power forwards that play. KPop is on the bench and shouldn't be. Yeah, it sucks to lose a DMo, but if Dragic signs a deal with us, you do it and roll with TJones.