1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade David Wesley for Gerald Wallace?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Sep 16, 2005.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Actually, it was what he was implying, and he hasn't been the only one to incorrectly imply it. Right here:

Yeah he tossed some other stuff in there, but he made it sound like trading for GW after he signed the QO was an option, and it's not. It's the same reason Stro couldn't be shopped before the trade deadline last year.

2. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

What the hell? I like the guy, I really do, but we are talking about David FREAKIN' Wesley here. Don't want to pay Wallace next year (especially if he doesn't work out)? Then don't. Trade him, let him go, do anything with him. It's not like Wesley is a better trade bait at his age.

We don't need another lockdown defender? Wesley got torched last playoffs, not because he's an awful defender (in fact, he's pretty damn good). But because he's short AND 36. Foot speed ain't exactly his strong point any more. As the season progresses, he's only gonna get worse, and that is assuming he isn't sidelined altogether with an injury.

I also love this argument that Wallace is asking for too much money. Wes' contract expires this season, Wallace's contract expires this season. Wes will be looking to sign a new contract, Wallace's contract expires this season. What's the difference? You gamble on Wallace it might actually pay off. Hey, why take a gamble on a 24 year old when you can stick with a 36 year old, especially when the team is lacking athleticism? I mean, are we worried that some other team is gonna fight us tooth and nails to overpay Wes when his contract is up? If we really want him (or somebody like him) we can resign him for the minimum. It's not like slowed down 36 year olds are hot commodities nowadays.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yup, and were talking about Gerald freakin wallace. I like the guy, I really do, but it's not like our team gets better if he cracks the rotation.

He is not a lockdown defender.

He is asking for too much money for his talents. Gambling on paying too much money for scrubs = MoT, Cato, Shandy, Maloney, Moochie, Glen Rice, etc. We've just barely jettisoned our junk contracts and people want us to add more.

It's not like we can't find a backup sf for half of the MLE that would fit the team better than GW.

4. MFW2310

That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Can you find better players than Gerald Wallace? Sure. Now tell me this, how many freakin' David Wesleys are better than Gerald Wallace? Don't want to gamble on Wallace with too much money and sign him for the MLE? Who told you that you have to? For all I care you could sit and let his contract expire. You only have him AND Wes for this season. You are ONLY worried about the next and upcoming season. If he works out and deserves the MLE, sign him to it. If he doesn't? Trade him or just let him go.

In fact, if you are worried about money, Wes makes two and half more than Wallace. Here's the other thing: Wes makes four and half, which last time I checked, is only marginally less than the expected MLE. You can't even sign a minimum scrub with that money.

Unless of course, you are banking that Wes develops more than Wallace in the upcoming season... :rolleyes:

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somewhere in there, it should matter that:
    a.) Wallace has the say on where he goes in a sign and trade and doesn't have to accept the contractual terms
    b.) He wouldn't accept a 1 year MLE level contract.
    c.) Sign and trades must be for at least 3 years.

With that in mind, I'm fairly sure a prospective sign and trade involving Wallace coming to the Rockets for Wesley would include a contract 4+ years in length at least. The implication here is Wallace would not be a shoe in to be a stalwart of our rotation (like say, Swift). The Rockets are dangerously treading lux tax zones as it is, and adding mid level money for a guy with some pretty major holes in his game that don't exactly jive with our stars (broken jump shot) is an easy way to make a tight cap situation worse.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

How bout you look at your own posts for stupidity eh?

WE CAN'T GET WALLACE FOR A ONE YEAR DEAL.

WE CAN"T TRADE FOR WALLACE IF HE SIGNS THE QO(unless the cba has drastically changed in that regard, which has not made any news)

ANY SIGN AND TRADE BEFORE THE QO IS SIGNED WOULD HAVE TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN 3YEARS, 16 MILLION. PROBABLY A LOT LONGER OF A DEAL.

Is that clear enough for you, or do you just want blather on about how much younger GW is?

If we could swap them for one year deals, then I agree, GW would be the better longterm investment. But if we have to take on a crap contract like GW wants to recieve for being a crappy 5th option on this team, then hell no, he ain't worth Jack to us.

And RIGHT NOW, Wesley is a much much better fit than Gerald likely ever will be.

We can get significant role-players for MLE money(or even less) in the offseason. JVG and co have proven it for the past 3 years now. No need to blow our wad and send this team closer to LTux land(Leslie will avoid it if he can) to take on a marginal player like Gerald Wallace.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

I think still think he is Ron Artest Lite. ;) I guess we can disagree on the degree of liteness.
    Opps, my mistake. CD better hurry up then.
    I completely agree.
    If do worry about his lack of a shot and him & Swift on the floor at the same time better be a runnin' offense as their defenders will double/help alot with T-Mac & Yao.
    If we got him then JVG would be comfortable with it and I trust him to make the T-Mac SF/SG decisions more than someone calling himself "Crisco" :D

I think Wesley + #1 for Wallace is a no brainer. 35 y.o. for a 23 y.o., 6'0" for 6'7", The only question is would the Bobcats do it and how much to pay Wallace. Can we get someone better at the trade deadline or next offseason with the MLE?

Having said all that I don't think it will happen but it is nice to think about. :)

8. MFW2310

You are right. My bad.

You too.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Nice response micah. I didn't particularly mean to single out your post, but there were quite a few posts in this thread that were way too glowing regarding GW, imo, and your post was the last one and I think even mentioning Ron Artest set me off a little bit. :)

I agree that JVG could find a way to make GW useful, but I really don't care too much for him as a player, esp on this squad. I don't like Miles or Tim Thomas all that much either, but I would prefer them much more than Gerald.

I'm not completely opposed to moving TMac to sg like some people, but there has to be a reason for it, not to just get a younger player that is a solid defender. It's not like Gerald changes games with his d. TMac clearly thrives at the 3, in part because adding another guard adds another shooter and another player who knows how to handle the ball. Putting Gerald into the lineup takes away those plusses that makes TMac more effective. Now if there was a legitimate playmaker sf, like a Marion, Peja, Rashard, etc, then of course JVG would have to find a way to make them fit and the offese thrive. But we don't have a stud sf that would push TMac to the sg, and most likely will not have one any time in the near future.

I think Wesley + #1 for Wallace would be a no brainer(well not quite, but close) if it wasn't for what he views himself worth as far as a contract. But I think Wesley + #1 + expiring contracts will be more enticing for better fits come trade deadline.

10. drpepper

drpepper Member

If they supposedly came knocking, I would do it simply on youth, athleticism, and potential. A three year deal with us holding the option for the forth would be ideal with their salary's being even this year. If they insist on a 1st rounder, give them 07'. By then it'll be pretty worthless anyway and the DL will be more established. Heck, we can make Span our first rounder that year.

Wes will be slower and more injury prone this year and may not be back next year. At least we'll get something for him while he's still tradeable. :D :D

What I will miss is his free throw capabilities.

11. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

I don't know if i would say that. I see wesley as a better shoot so he is better in that stat. Wesley also will not improve much if anything age will just catch up with him. GW is young and athletic. If there is a player that I can describe him as is Desmond Mason (overpaid) with a defense. From GW improvement last yr, he's not worth the MLE. Not yet atleast. But he can still im prove this coming season.

12. leehoang

leehoang Member

Woww wowww woww, hey Glen Rice was a cool guy. LOL.

13. rocket3forlife2

14. kublick

kublick Contributing Member

easy jumper
    hard shooter

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

NIKE, good points....if we are hell bent on trying to improve our SG position, I would try to see if we could pry Mo Peterson away from the Raptors. He is a good perimeter defender, has nice size at 6'7" and can hit the 3pt shot. He is also the same age as Swift,Tmac,Yaco. He would fit in well with our team.

16. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

17. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Exactly why nobody in their right mind would trade Wallace for Wesley. Unless they were Chmpionship contenders and needed 1 more shooter, which is clealy not the case. If we possibly threw in a 1st round draft, it might be possible. But it still seems he wants too much money for his athletisism and potential, not what he can do on the floor.

Besides, we need to start saving out 1st and 2nd round draft picks to help stay out of luxury land. We're due for another Sam Casell or Cuttino Mobley within a couple more drafts. No team can keep signing free agents, while not drafting anyone, and stay under the cap.

#57 redgoose, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  18. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

I want G. Wallace, but for Wesley's credentials we need them to throw in a 2nd round pick and we can make it happen. He's a young gunner without much a jump shot...in early 20s...seems like we really did want BOKI as fans.

19. Bob

Bob Member

Okay we may be underrating Wallace. But all 30 gms have the same opinion which is why not a single team has even talked to his agent.

Good restricted free agents get at least a phone call.

Eddy Curry, who has a potential career ending heart condition, has gotten inquiries.

20. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member