1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. basketballholic

Oh?

Nigeria, Congo, Angola are all in the same class, dear. Thon may be 24 and Capela may be 25 for all we know.

The question is which player is going to have the best career? I'll bet on Thon. You wanna take Capela?

2. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Capela maybe of Angolan & Congolese origin but he was born in Switzerland you clown. Pretty sure is birth certificate is legit.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...no...but okay.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Deeeeem. Holic got clowned

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just get the poster who lives in skyhouse with Clint to ask him personally how old he is

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Per holic's totally legit and not made up sources, Switzerland changed the birth year on Capela's birth certificate. Doubt him and his great newsletter at your own peril.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

switzerland is in africa you guys

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

F that.

I'm the original thon maker birther.

jopatmcclown was just following my lead.

Between that and the D'Antoni hire, my record of lucky prognostication well in advance is approachign the level that DaDakota imagines his own to be.

heypartner likes this.
  9. basketballholic

Pretty sure, eh?

You have no clue whether it's legit or not. You're just guessing and assuming since there's been no media on it that it must be legit. Just like Maker. Have you seen it? No. So you have no clue. I can insinuate Capela is actually 25 without proof just like the media can insinuate that Maker is 24 without proof. Does them being the media make them right?

LOL

I was addressing the stupidity of making the argument that Maker shouldn't have been a first because he's 24 and that he's not going to have a better career than Capela if he is 24. Those arguments are both stupid.

Now I was as surprised as anyone that Thon went tenth. I really thought after the media deluge about his age that he had been knocked down to a low first rounder, perhaps in the 20's. And I also thought after George Hill was traded for the 12th pick that surely we could have pulled one of 9-11 in this draft for Capela.

So personally, I would have traded Capela for that pick and then tried to trade that pick and perhaps Bev for Noel. Or I would have tried to trade that pick plus another asset for Murray. And if I couldn't get that deal done I would've traded down in the first to try to pick up both Thon and Uthoff.

I'll be real clear and on record about two things.

1. Thon Maker will have a far better career than Clint Capela.
    2. If Clint Capela is our starting center for the balance of the 16-17 season, we are going to struggle to make the playoffs.

I would gladly trade Capela for Maker right now, malakas. You're a Bucks fan. Would you trade Maker for Capela today?

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Faking a birth certificate where citizenship grants you immunity from almost every country's taxes abroad is slightly different than faking one from a country that doesn't even have a census.

Also, let's compare all players that are 24, and see who is better on average, the group with 1 year experience, or the group with 5 years of NBA experience. There's a reason youth is arguably the most important metric in the draft. Players that develop earlier tend to also develop longer into their careers. It's another reason why morey looks at yearly improvement more than others do.

11. ipa

ipa Member

By measurements, Thabeet should have been GOAT!

Well... it doesnt work like that!

You can't read stats, and measurements and asume a college player will be a great NBA player.

At least Capela proved something while IN the NBA.

12. dje243

dje243 Member

To me that yearbook looks a lot like proof. Capela's age was never in question because there was no reason for it to be in question. He originates from a country with good record keeping. I don't see why it's outlandish to bring age into the conversation when we talk about projected ceilings.

13. basketballholic

It's not outlandish to bring age into the conversation when we talk about projected ceilings. But in this case you have to make assumptions about age. To believe Maker is 24 you have to assume a picture clip you saw in a tweet is accurately portrayed and interpreted. While simultaneously you are assuming there are no inaccuracies in Capela's birth record because it's from a certain country when you know absolutely nothing about it, haven't seen it, you don't know when Capela's parents migrated or any of the relevant facts.

The next thing about projected ceilings is maybe 5% of the time do players hit their projected ceilings and around 80% of the time they don't even reach their projected floors. So projected ceilings and floors don't mean much to me. I look for guys that can play basketball, that have discernable skills, and I go from there, examining their work ethic, intelligence, competitiveness, and finally their measurables.

I'm going above and beyond age anyways and stating clearly for the record that Maker will be the better player and have the better career than Capela even if he is 2 years older than Capela. Only way age will change my prognostication is if it is proven that Maker is 30 or older.

#153 basketballholic, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The yearbook is not a lot of proof.
    In fact, there are now threads on reddit nba talking about how the yearbook proof is kind of fishy (eg. if it was so obvious, why isn't there clear pictures/video of the yearbook, with clear dates - class of x - type stuff. instead it appears as if pages were skipped, etc.)

So, its too difficult to follow and who cares.

Holic is at least right about that. 19, 24... it doesn't matter a TON. I mean, it should matter to the bucks, who drafted him at 10!!! But generally, if I feel Thon really has real high teens scoring potential and high single digit rebounding potential, with ok+ defense, in three years time, **** I'll take that for sure.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Possum

Possum Member

:grin:

17. malakas

malakas Member

He's at least 23. I have seen ALL the evidence.
    School Newsletters,, graduation photos, yearbook photos, he stopped growing when he was "14" -show me a 7 footer who stopped growing at 17?

He did HS twice. That's the preposterous about this saga. He has 10 years of HS education this guy and went to Canada as a 22+ y.o to play against Canadian kids.

So the comparison between him and Capela is preposterous.
    Last time I checked Capela didn't play at 21-22 against Canadian little kids who won't even make college rosters. And didn't even DOMINATE.
    It's a disaster.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dear god...to do High School twice...

I'll give him props for his dedication.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn well worth it for that $$, dont forget all that illegal HS putang he got. He kept getting older, but they stayed the same.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. basketballholic

So since you are a Bucks fan, you would gladly trade Maker for Capela........ right?