1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Backe for Soriano?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Jan 11, 2005.

?

Would you trade Backe for Soriano?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2005.
  1. yes

60 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. no

94 vote(s)
    61.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

but if we could trade for him, and sign him to an extension to say 7.5 per over 3 or 4 yrs, i think it would be a steal and we plug him right into the 2 hole in the order/....probem is that someone posted an article from today on how the rangers arent trading him

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Something else to consider is that Wade Miller's rotation spot also vacant. And Clemens' spot may be gone as well. The Astros may be better off trading hitting for pitching.

3. NJRocket

no question about it...my thinking was that if we could land someone like Soriano, Clemens may come back...then we could go with roger, andy and roy...and hope that one of the youngsters step up.....the 5th spot would be ...well like most other 5th spots

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Let's not forget that Elarton was brillant before he tore up his shoulder. He didn't just start sucking for no reason.

#44 RocketFan007, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

roger clemens > scott elarton

lesson learned.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What lesson is that? Don't develop your own pitchers? Don't let them get hurt? Longhorns >anyone else?

7. MadMax

:D

i think you take proven talent...when you can get it...over young, unproven talent. when you have a chance to get arguably the top pitcher EVER...you don't let a rookie stand in the way of that.

and of course...don't let them get hurt is a great lesson!! ;) ask carlos hernandez.

8. SamCassell

Well sure, Clemens is awesome. :) But you can't just out-and-out say that proven talent is always better than prospects. We have plenty of prospects that turn out well - Oswalt, Berkman - and proven vets who don't yield results - Drabeck, Swindell.

I am not in favor of a Soriano trade because I think that salary is best spent to reinforce areas where prospects are lacking. We can't afford to have multi-millionaires at each position. Right now, we have a good prospect at 2B, so we can use that money best to fill the gaping hole in CF left by the Beltran departure, and to reinforce the bullpen. Burke will make minimal salary for the next 4 or 5 years, while Soriano is going to cost someone $35m over that same period of time. Backe is going to be similarly cheap. I'd rather see the money put into upgrading the CF position, and I don't see the advantage gained in going from Burke to Soriano (hitting increase, defense downgrade), added to the loss of Backe from the rotation (replaced by, let's say Duckworth) to be worth that much money when we have other areas of need.

9. MadMax

that's good analysis. you're right..you can't make a blanket statement like i did. it doesn't always work that way.

as for soriano. i don't know how to think about that one. i hear ya as for position...but i'm not thinking about who can man what position...i'm thinking about who is going to knock in runs. kent's production at the plate is gone. burke isn't going to come anywhere near that. so whether it's a catcher or a 2B or a 3B or whatever...those are numbers that have to be made up for.

10. SamCassell

And I agree with you there, we need someone to drive in runs! But I also look down the road in the very near future, 2006 probably, without Biggio we'll need someone to set the table at the leadoff position. I don't know whether Burke will do that job, but someone has to. Burke has speed and got on base nearly 40% of the time last year at AAA. If you deal him off, you're definitely going to need to go after a good leadoff hitter next year in free agency, unless you want to gamble that Tavares is ready by then (even then, we'll need a #2).

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

2 Things...........

1) Someone already posted that Soriano is off the block (even though this isn't always true).

2) There is a positive and negative to everything.....

If we did trade for Soriano we'd have added power, but a depleted staff. If we didn't we'd have a, most likely, better staff, but less power. Unless we make other trades or there are people we don't know about in the minors I think you have to look at it like this:

What is the bigger drop? Losing probably 10-15 hrs, 30-40 rbis, and a lower batting average. Or losing probably 5-8 wins, and probably 50-70 innings from your starter? Remember the less yoru starters pitch the more your relievers pitch, which hasn't been a good thing for the Astros.

My vote would be to forget Soriano, give Burke a chance and hope Backe pans out because we just don't have anyone to replace him, even though he's not that hard to replace. <--- That just shows how bad our pitching is. I'd love to have Soriano if we could work out something else, but if not I'll pass.

Pugs

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

NO I would not. Backe proved he could pitch last year, not only that he showed he could pitch when the stakes were high. I would like to see the Astros develop him and see if he has the capability to handle it over the course of a full year. Good Pitching beats good hitting so I would try and keep him and see if we have a diamond in the rough. I would be very excited if we had a solid rotaion with Oswalt, AP and Backe and then make a run for Ben Sheets next year.

13. MadMax

add in clemens and change Ben Sheets next year to Ben Sheets in July, and I'm in!!! :)

14. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'll add the "keen observation of the obvious" here and say, Ben Sheets is filthy.

15. MadMax

indeed. just taking away his few starts against us a year would be helpful!

16. NJRocket

especially since we dont have our automatic W in Miller Park without Wade...man he was good when he pitched there!

17. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Just thinking about Sheets and Oswalt 1 and 2 in a rotation cracks a smile on my face.

18. NJRocket

We could put Roy in between (the) Sheets and Pet it

ba dum dum

try the veal...ill be here til thursday

19. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Trading for Soriano reminds me of the Beltran trade...Next winter we might be dealing with another Boras.

20. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Scott Elarton was brilliant before the injury and Chris Holt always sucked.

PS I haven't bought any cards in awhile and I want to go out and buy a box. Whats a good baseball series this year that is about 60 bucks a box and I stand to pull out some authentic ****? thanks.