1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Backe for Soriano?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Jan 11, 2005.

?

Would you trade Backe for Soriano?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2005.
  1. yes

60 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. no

94 vote(s)
    61.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The key word is and, they want Burke and pitching.

2. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

burke + backe?

or burke + pitching prospects?

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Either one, they've asked for our top prospect Esquiel Astacio.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Soriano strikes me as the typical "fantasy league" all-star who's significantly more mundane when you factor in non-fantasy areas of play. Since fantasy league all-stars get rewarded disproportionately at the salary table, he strikes me as a guy who's always going to be a poor investment when you compare the cost vs. the return.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Isn't Soriano a free agent soon. If it's next year, i'd rather just grab him then and give up nothing. That way, possibly Burke shows promise and we can trade him for something nice and keep Backe.

If not, i'd rather pay Soriano for around the 7.5 million he's due and use the other money to shell up the bullpen and add another bat like Burnitz from Colorado. Those two would definantly add the speed we've been needing. Sure, neither one is as good as Beltran, but with the money we would have paid him, we can patch up the rest of the team.

#25 redgoose, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I voted no because it'd leave our rotation depleted, but think about it:

Imagine if last year at this time someone had asked us to trade some kid named Brandon Backe for Alfonso Soriano. Shows what a difference a year can make.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Backe may completely flop this year, but with the state of our rotation right now it's hard to trade him. Past Oswalt and Pettite, who do you really have?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No matter what, you need good pitching to be successful. Backe is unproven. However, I think he is going to be a very solid #3 (and even better #4 if Clemens is back). I think Ottomaton was right in saying Soriano is a good fantasy type player. What he does poorly will outweigh what he does well, IMO. If not Backe, then I also don't think that the Astros are in a position to trade away pitching prospects. If Clemens is back, it will definitely be for 1 year. I predict that Tim "I'm Not Chris Holt" Redding and Brandon Duckworth will not be Astros by June. Someone will have to step up as early as this season.

I also think that Chris Burke has the potential to become a Michael Young type player. Very good defensively and will learn to hit for production. He's not going to hit 30 hr's, but 20 is possible once he gets entrenched in the majors. He's going to get on base and get a good 20 steals. Considering he'll probably be hitting 7th this season, the speed will help with Ausmus hitting behind him.

Also, the Rangers announced that Soriano was not on the trading block.

Soriano will not be traded

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How much does Soriano make? How much will he make in FA?

I think the Astros might want to get a contract extension as part of the trade. Otherwise, Backe may be too much to give up for a one year rental. BTW, who would take his place inthe rotation?

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think he makes approx 10/yr...so unless he takes a pay cut going fwd, he is pricy...but he produces at the plate and on the bases

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That's just it, there's nobody to take his rotation spot. The free agent market is played out. Duckworth is bad, Redding seems hopeless, Hernandez still hasn't demonstrated the velocity needed to pitch effectively, Pete Munro is, well, Pete Munro. As it is, one of those four is likely to start the season in the rotation. Backe might not do anything, but I loved his guts in the playoffs and I'd love to see him put that experience to work over a full season. Unlike those other guys, he's at least got a shot at producing wins.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No way in hell...Soriano is making way too much money and backe has more potential, especially since we need young pitching...

14. NJRocket

I just checked what Soriano's salary was last year....it was 5.4 million...so unless he is due a huge increase this year, then i was wrong. 5.4 is very affordable and you could probably get away with extending him at like 7-8 per year

In fact, I think Cameron has a bunch of deffered money coming to him so he may even make more than fonzie this year

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm really torn on this one.

on one hand...i hate giving up young pitching...young talent.

on the other hand...you have proven all-star level talent here with soriano. the guy is a run producer, bottom line.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The ghosts of Scott Elarton and Chris Holt have one message for you:

Sell high.

17. SamCassell

Soriano's up for arbitration, and he's looking at probably ~7.5m for this year from an arbitor.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

honestly, that's kinda how i feel. scott elarton speaks quite loudly, frankly. proven talent for speculation.

and you'd be getting soriano for less or equal to what the dodgers are paying kent. i'd say that's a fairly good price for him.

19. NJRocket

up for it this year? i thought he becomes a free agent after next season

20. SamCassell

It's the "young player not yet a FA" arbitration like Miller was eligible for, not the "unrestricted free agent" arbitration like a Jeff Kent.