1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take Raymond Felton for a 1st Rounder?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, Feb 22, 2011.

?

Felton for a 1st Rounder? Yes/No

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. No

130 vote(s)
    69.1%
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

People, please know what you are talking about.

How is a lottery team, which the Rockets are for the foreseeable future, trading a 2012 first round pick protected for the top 14 (the Lottery) in 2012-16, else 2017 second round pick, a mistake?

If T-will works out and gets us to the playoffs, we rejoice.

If T-will does not work out and we stick in the lottery, we still have our picks.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Nope.

Felton looked great this year, but you have to remember he was playing for Mike D'Antoni, who also made Chris Duhon look like a legitimate NBA starter.

We have 3 awesome backup point guards, Felton would be an awesome backup point guard. Unless we're actually upgrading the spot and not just moving laterally, though, a trade is pointless.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

BS.

Felton is not better. His inflated stats are a product of a garbage system.

His career avg. PPG is 13

assist avg. is 7

He was an ok PG for the Bobcats and DiAntoni's fast passed chucking style helped his value. That is all. The stats clearly show that.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raymond_felton/career_stats.html

4. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu********* NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No 1st round picks for mediocre players---we got plenty of those.
    Although, we get ours to overperform from time to time.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I just threw the number out there, but I'd take those point guards over Felton (in no order):

Paul
    Rose
    Nash
    D.Williams
    Westbrook
    Curry
    Rondo
    Billups
    Holiday
    Wall
    Harris
    Kidd
    Lowry
    Sessions
    D.Collison
    Jennings
    Augustin
    Nelson
    Conley
    Paul
    Parker
    Lawson
    A.Miller
    B.Davis

That's 24 if I counted correctly.

Now the difference between Felton and some PG's on the list isn't considerable and some of those guys are overpaid or have bad contracts, so it's probably closer to 20, after factoring in the contracts, but as you can see I don't think of Felton very highly.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nope.

Felton was a marginal starter for years until he magically blew up under D'Antoni's system.

7. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

No thanks to felton.

And no thanks to Ty Lawson either.

8. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

Time will tell. Whether he stays in Denver or goes somewhere else (likely), we'll find out if it was the system based on his performance.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Uhh Brooks can't hold Felton's jock strap. Felton has been beasting before the all-star break with double digit assists in four out of the last 5 games. He has double digit assists in 28 games.

You guys need to watch more games or at least click on his game logs. Jeez Louise.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So what you're saying is GM's need to rely on a Players hot streak for scouting?

I don't think AB is better either but Felton's career numbers show that he's not as good as his numbers this season and he's not young so that excuse is out.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He has been doing it all season and has averaged over 7 assists a game 3 out of his 6 years in the league. He was also stuck on a mediocre team since he entered the league. Plus, he's 26 so it's safe to say that he's entering his prime. The OP asked if he is worth a first rounder. My response is hell yes but it's not like Denver would trade him for just one first rounder anyways.

#51 sammy, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  12. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Were Chauncey Billups' stats at Detroit during the LB years and after (2003-2005 was LB's tenure there) due to Flip Saunder's "system?" Having watched what LB can do to a PG here for his short time, I am not remotely suprised that Billups goes from a 5.8:2.3 Asst:TO ratio and 16.5 points per to 8.6:2.1 and 18.5 points per (and never drops below a 3:1 ratio again until he goes to Denver). Was that the Flip Saunders vaunted "system?"

What did Starbury's stats look like leading up to the 2005-06 season with LB? Did he permanently quash Nate Robinson's potential? Heck, did you bother to look at what he did to DJ Augustine's confidence last year?

I actually appreciate Larry Brown a great deal. I think he's got a few-in-a-generation mind for basketball and his assistants (esp. Dave Hanners) are top shelf. They are teachers of the game and they know the game. But he (Larry) is a terror to PGs (or has been for a good while now). To say that Felton's success is due to "D'antoni's System" sounds as silly to me as Billups' play being the result of "Saunders' System" or DJ Augustine's recent turn around being the result of "Silas' System." In all three cases, that "System" is simply "not being Larry Brown's System."

If you watched LB at CLT, you can see why the points per, shooting percentage, assists would all be down and the turnovers would be higher. Don't get me wrong, what he (and staff) leave the players with is a better toolbox and better basketball mind than they had at arrival but it makes for suffocating play out of the ball handlers IMO.

1 person likes this.
  13. BreakYoSelfFool

Didnt Aaron Brooks put up 19 and 5 last season. And he is making 1/3 of Feltons salary, because he is still on his rookie deal. Raymond Felton, has put up decent numbers, but I think his career numbers (13pts and 6reb) in 6 yrs as a pro are more indicative of his actual level of play. He has shown that when put in the proper offense he can be very productive and a borderline allstar (in the east).

The benefits of a draft pick is that they offer flexibility in trades and the salary is fixed at an extremely good rate, and you get to pick a position of need. Add in the success level we have had with a lot of our draft picks, and I think it would be foolish to trade a draft pick for an average player at least halfway through his career

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Because we should be in the business of collecting first round picks from other teams at this point, not giving them up... Especially now that our Knicks picks have lost significant value.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Bear in mind he was strictly a 14/7 guy before getting to play in D'Antoni's cocaine system.

That said - I was impressed with his stint on the Knicks - better than I expected.

I still consider him a marginal starter overall, though. I'd take him only if we needed to move Lowry to net a serious upgrade at SF or C.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Excellent point, but T-Will has more potential, if he ever grows up. Too bad we can't have Maury Povich send him to one of his boot camps for six months.

Felton is worth a Rockets #1 (meaning a pick around #14 or #15), except that we don't need help at PG, even if we let AB go. Lowry / Ish / T-Will will be OK, and if T-Will pulls an Eddie Griffin, we can trade for another backup guard.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He's a bit underrated. I would give up the NY pick for him. Could be easily a great addition if Brooks leaves.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

His upside is what attracts us to him :rolleyes: But I would because he is a UNC product who knows his limitations and is a steady PG...And what the hell would we draft with that 1st rd pick anyway???...more assets for the future??..please

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

since when is 14/7 for a offensively challenged team a bad thing?...Name the last true PG we had that averaged 14/7!!!...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Somebody forgot about Nash and Billups. Those strictly perform in the playoffs.