1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

would you take luka doncic now or james harden from age 20-30 starting now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josh Smith, Nov 24, 2019.

?

would you take luka doncic now or james harden from age 20-30 starting now?

1. doncic now

60.7%
  2. 20 year-old harden now

39.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There is no difference. Calling it “analysis” is just putting a different label on it.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Prediction is not the right term. That means speculation. Conjecture. Analysis means you have facts and evidence to back up your assertion.

3. durvasa

There are facts/evidence with Doncic as well. Yes, there are also a lot of unknown factors that can impact how his career pans out. But there is nothing wrong with projecting how good he is likely to be over his career, based on what we’ve seen so far and what he accomplished in Europe (league MVP as a teenager).

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Look I have no problem with donkey. Obviously I don’t like him since he’s not a rocket but the kid has skills no doubt. But all the comparison is quite unfair for a guy who hasn’t had a large body of work in the NBA. But that’s not my main issue with this thread. This thread like several threads on this board asks a question that is silly since its comparing a second year player to an established veteran all star possibly top player in the league and asking whether this guy is as good as the veteran and whether we would pick the inexperienced player now at 20 over another player from 20-30. Just a weird question. It’s like saying trae young now or Tim hardaway from 20-30. Why such an arbritary question specifically comparing this player and asking one to choose the other player arbitrarily from 20 to 30 years old. Just a strange question and convoluted. Is the question implying that donkey from 20-30 compared to harden 20-30? Really silly question. We don’t know if that’s the case lol. Now if the question asks is donkey at 20 ad good as harden at 20 that makes sense. We have numbers, game tape, eye test to prove it. It’s like asking in lebron second year lebron now or MJ 20-30? Who knows? But after 8 years or so in the league after finals appearances MVPs etc the question whether he’s as good as MJ gained more steam and validity due to the body of work and evidence.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TLDR, but just letting y’all know that I’m ashamed to see this on the front page of Clutchfans.

Junebball likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm surprised by the voting results.

Some of y'all ungrateful as hell.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Isn't the question would you gamble and take the next 10 unknown years from Doncic over the known 10 years of Harden?

durvasa likes this.
  8. durvasa

The question is how good you expect Doncic to be from ages 20-30. It is speculative to a large degree, but there is stuff to go off of. Doncic is already better than Harden in some respects (most notably, as a passer), and we have a lot of evidence that Harden’s game has limitations in a playoff setting. If you are taking Doncic, you are gambling. I’d take that gamble.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was told that Luka is already a better offensive player than Harden...so I just need to know why the Clippers did not double team him every possession like they did with Harden, and I also need to know why he only managed 22 points on 4-14 shooting, 6 assists, and 7 turnovers against single coverage

Harden had 37 and 12 against double teams

10. HP3

HP3 Member

I was also told he does step back better than Harden

BUT HEY

[​IMG]

BaselineFade, Zboy and Reeko like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I want to know why Boris Durke wasnt there calling the fatboy out for hooking defenders arms to get to the free throw line?

Where are the replays in different angles??

#131 Zboy, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

he also jumps into defenders at any opportunity trying to draw fouls, but he will get praised for “earning” those

“Luka is so skilled and crafty”

HP3 likes this.
  13. durvasa

You double team someone if their scoring worries you more than their passing.

Harden is a more explosive scorer. Doncic is a superior passer.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

so basically Harden is unguardable and demanded a constant double team near midcourt from a team consisting of perimeter defenders like Bev, Kawhi, and PG after torching that same team for 47 in the previous game

I’d been told that Luka was already superior offensively so I was expecting at least 40 from him tonight against single coverage

if Luka is a better passer, it certainly isn’t by much

HP3 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

As far as serious analysis goes, there is no question 20 yr old Doncic is much better than 20 yr old Harden so it is reasonable to project Doncic will have a higher ceiling than Harden because he is so good as a 20 yr old.

However if you ask me which one I would rather have then the right choice is Harden simply because we know how he turns out. As far as franchise players go Harden is cream of the crop, he doesnt have health issues, he isn't a megalomaniac or chase the spotlight of big cities and he isn't perpetually unhappy like say KD. He is good enough to carry a team on his back unlike say Steph who collapses like a straw house when he only has 2 all star teammates.

With Doncic we don't know how he will turn out how years of fame will change him. Dwight for example was a bible thumping Christian who wanted a crucifix at every team during his first years. IMO for Doncic the biggest risk to him is wear and tear he has been playing pro ball since he was 15 we dont know if his body starts breaking down by age 28 or w/e cuz that's 13 yrs already of pro ball play by that time. Maybe his body has 0 health issues like Dirk but maybe it starts breaking down after a couple of years like Porzingis.

But with Harden, there are no such questions or risk. You know what you are gonna get that's why a young Harden is the correct choice. Btw Doncic's success is in large part to having Carlisle as his coach and the Mavs surrounding him with good role players. Harden's career has largely been wasted by Mchale and MDA who have leaned on him like a crutch and Morey's inability to surround him with stars and role players who perform in the playoffs.

topfive likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Donkey folded last night against Pat Bev Leonard and company. Issue is when defenses zero in and start studying and figuring out his game it forces him to adapt and evolve. How will he respond? It’s not that easy. Again too early to tell in this guy’s career.

topfive likes this.
  17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Luka is playing some great overall basketball and is consistent. I give Luka the edge.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A diet plan would do him wonders.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's summer 2009. Would you take Greg Oden or Brook Lopez from age 20-30?

Easy, right? Both just had solid rookie seasons, and Lopez will have a very good next 10 years, but everyone knows Oden is headed for the Hall of Fame.

20. wesbound

wesbound Member

Hard to say.
    Since Harden was the 6th man in OKC & he blossomed into the player he is now since day one he put on the rockets jersey.
    If anything, Luka may potentially be as good as Harden or even better.
    I believe Luka has been playing professionally since 16 years old in Euro league.