1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take a big risk on Andrew Bynum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

This is pathetic.

I like Asik, but he's a complete liability on one end of the floor. He's not a top-10 C, and you wouldn't take either of the top-2 over him?

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'm not even sure a healthy Andrew Bynum is anything but a 15-20 minute a game rotation big off the bench in the 1990s.

3. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Bynum is a big idiot who was born without knee caps. We good?

4. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

^^ someone sensible. Bynum last year was a top 2 center in the league. 19 pts / 12 rb / 2 blk a game. I'm sorry but Omer Asik will never EVER be that good. No one other than Dwight Howard, and maybe Marc Gasol and Joakim Noah on a very good day, will be that good.

Some posters have suggested that we shore up PF instead, and I'm all for that, but if you're hoping to shake Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge loose from their respective rosters, you're SOL. One is on an already very good team (winning record despite multiple players out, playing for a coach he adores), and the other is on a quickly up and coming team who got a real franchise piece in this last year's draft.

The other options are Cousins (the most likely, but by that I mean maybe a 10% chance of being traded, and that won't be until his rookie contract is up. Love / LMA are probably at a <1% chance), Jefferson (much older than our current avg age), Josh Smith (a source of much debate), Paul Millsap (in my mind, a guy who produces a lot of hollow stats, and doesn't provide the post scoring that elevates you to a level of competitiveness necessary to win [Memphis, LAL, OKC and SAS all have front lines that can shut that guy down]), and that's about it.

On the other hand, Bynum is really f--king good. There's no way around it. Has had a PER over 20 the last 5 seasons in a row. He is, without any doubt, the best scoring center in the league, and is a top 5 defensive center. Bynum has an O-Rating that is nearly 20 points higher than Asik per 100 possessions, and his D-Rating is only two points lower.

I understand he is an injury risk, and hearing those two words together will make any Rockets' fan skin crawl as we finally begin to emerge from under the shadow of Yao. I'm no idiot, and neither is DM - if the guy has structural damage to his knees that would make him un-insurable (a la Stoudemire), then OBVIOUSLY you don't take the risk. But if it's not that bad, if a doctor says he can recover from this problem, and he becomes a FA, would you take the risk on him?

One last thing - if he becomes available to us then Asik would be traded, and I feel like that could also be a way of addressing our PF problem (as I said, I feel like the best possible move would be to trade Asik, perhaps with Patterson and a pick, for Josh Smith, and then sign try to sign Bynum to the max or near-max)

5. sando

sando Member

Me? No.
    Us? No.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think you might get more games from Yao.

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

i would.. He can backup asik

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bob Cooney ‏@BobCooney76
    Bynum has setback as he says there is swelling and cartilage damage in left knee. Other injury is in right knee.

Bynum said there is no timetable for return nor that it has changed from what team announced earlier this week.

9. torocan

torocan Member

10. jocar

jocar Member

+1, he should be back next year.
    LMA>Love>Milsefferson>JSmoove>Bynum

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think we have Osik to solidify the interior D, we DO NOT need another BIG that play similar position who is also injured-prone. We need to get someone that can upgrade Parsons and Patterson. Or maybe we do need Bynum cuz he does everything great.....offense and defense. So i am confused.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

After Yao and T-Mac, who were healthy when the joined the Rockets, I'm not sure I'd spend max money (a third contract max money) on Bynum due to injury risk.

I recall the first couple of years after Morey passed on Amare that many here roasted him. Now Amare is the biggest liability on the Knicks not only because of his contract, dependence on athleticism, and lack of defense, but also he's not a good fit on a team that may be a contender and could do with trading him for another PF but he's just untradable.

13. sergio

sergio Member

Nooooo! Yao Ming 3.0 This guy is done. when you have leg problems and are that big your career is basicaly over. firgive my speling im drivin a 18 wheeler.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO sensible? If you want to talk about sensibility, why bring up trading our 26 year old, 8M defensive and rebounding BEAST for a max contract space cadet with knee issues?

What's pretty funny is you mock all the guys talking about Love/LMA trades but then your whole thread is all about Bynum suddenly becoming 100% healthy and Philly suddenly deciding to let him walk away for nothing after they just traded AI for him. Which is mroe likely, us being able to trade assets for Love/LMA? Or Bynum suddenly recovering from all these knee injuries he's had and Philly still willing to let him walk away for nothing? :rolleyes:

There's no point in trumpeting up his "top 5 center" cred, centers as a whole have deteriorated so much they've been taken out of the all star ballot. You think Bynum is a guy who can go toe to toe with DH on a nightly basis? Chris Bosh? Hell at this point I'm not even sure he can beat Tim Duncan. Bynum at his very best is really good, but how often does that happen? How often is he injury free, locked on, and not throwing up airball 3 after airball 3? He's the same as Melo/AI/Marbury/Curry, its not the talent that's the problem, it's everything else.

If you want to get an all world center sensibly, then free up a roster spot and make a play for Oden next year. Getting him on the cheap would make much more sense than committing max dollars to Bynum.