1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you still want LeBron on this team if it cost us Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, May 8, 2018.

?

Who would you rather have on this team?

1. LeBron

50.6%
  2. Capela

49.4%
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whoever we can get with only getting rid of or losing Anderson and Gordon and nene I’m all for

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Of course you do it. Our window is tied to Paul who is almost the same age as Lebron.

People scoff at trade scenarios of a bunch of role players for 1 star all the time on this board and then Morey did it for Paul.

Don’t underestimate the wizard.

Red Chocolate and amaru like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If we can't win with LeBron/Harden/Paul, then we sure as hell ain't winning with Harden/George/Paul.

RyanB likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

WHAT IF IT COSTS US RYAN ANDERSON???

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

You know what, after looking it over, PG13 would be a better fit but he wouldn't be worth it if we paid him the same as LBJ.

Also, I never said we couldn't win with LBJ. I said he couldn't beat the current Warriors even with an all-star alongside him. While LBJ is currently a past Champ, he's not one in the current landscape. That was my point.

But tbh, your claim isn't a certainty. They are two different players, and at that point it becomes how we construct our supporting staff and adjust our play-calling/coaching.

#66 dkim1984, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The Warriors are the most talented team ever, I find it strange to point out that he couldn't beat them last year as if it's a knock on him or something. Paul George is not a champ at all and isn't even better than Harden or Paul. LBJ was Finals MVP against the Warriors who were the best RS team ever just two years ago. How is he not a champ in the current landscape? Why would you prefer PG who is has never been a champ in any landscape?

RyanB likes this.
  8. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

The most talented team ever? That's an overstatement. You can't make historical comparisons like that. The league was way different in the past. Warriors wouldn't have been tough enough for even the 80s let alone any earlier period.

The point is not to get someone better than Harden or Paul. The point is to bring someone on that compliments what we have on our roster. PG13 does that better than LBJ because PG doesn't require us to focus our shots on 2-pointers (b/c LBJ's terrible from three). So our offensive strategy remains the same, we improve our playoff 3pt%, and we have two players that can already operate off the drive.

To get the most out of LBJ, he would have to take on a Harden type roll. The problem with the LBJ hypothetical is that he could create off the drive, but when he dishes to the wings, he's still dishing to wings that have performed poorly from range in the playoffs for the past three years. Whereas, Harden could just continue what he does, and dish to a supporting cast that now includes PG13 and his historically high playoff 3pt%.

And yes, I did knock LBJ. In the hypothetical LBJ to Htown argument, LBJ's added contribution is ambiguous at best because we would have to shift the weighting of our shots to take more advantage of his great efficiency at the cup. That's still 2 points versus three, and he still continues to shoot in volume from midrange.

However, if we pick up PG (but it would have to be meaningfully cheaper than a max), then we don't disrupt the offensive gameplan, can continue to focus on highly rewarded shots, and we have him during his prime. Three point shooting also leads to less wear and tear.

Stay on point and bring numbers if you're gonna make weird claims. The ONLY thing you can claim is that LBJ hits so high at the cup that it makes it nearly impossible for any 3pt shooting alternative to keep up, but then that incentives us to focus more on drives. See what I'm getting at? It doesn't fit our player personnel. Seeing as to how our main problem has been three point shooting; by adding someone that can improve and stabilize our production from that area, we immediately hop over the GS playoffs average (as in we're only .8 points behind in scoring average this playoffs to the warriors).

Like I said, LBJ would be nice, but it requires more shifting away from three-pointers, which we choose to shoot in volumes and percentage-of-shots way above the league average. So, if we add LBJ, we have a three-headed monster, but it takes us away from the most highly awarded shots, and our team 3pt% suffers if he takes any shots from distance. If we get PG13, we continue to benefit more from highly rewarded shots and better team 3pt%.

9. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Also, he's not a current champ in today's NBA because today's NBA includes a GSW team with KD which bested him. So in today's nba, with rosters having evolved since his last championship, he has yet to prove he can be the best again.

He's definitely a champion, but that's the thing about sports (or any competition for that matter), other people adapt to beat you the next year which changes the NBA landscape.

10. cebu

cebu Member

if we can release Ryno, i don't see a reason why we can't get them both.

not only we need to become stronger, we also don't want LBJ to build another super team. Scary thought if LBJ joins Pelicans.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.........

Stretch Ryno.

Trade Gordon.

Let Ariza leave and sign LeBron Raymone James.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how any of this is relevant to you saying George would be better suited to this team. George is significantly worse than LeBron in all facets of the game, outside of perhaps regular season defense. Also, he hasn't come close to sniffing a championship.

13. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

We like to shoot threes. PG13 is a good 3pt shooter in the playoffs. LeBron is not. What LeBron does well (drive) we already have with two future HoFs.

This is where you and I are going to have to agree to disagree because if you can't see how the numbers here are relevant, then you aren't getting the math.

Total team scoring depends on a few things: free throws attempts and ft%, 2pt attempts, 2pt%, 3pt attempts, and 3pt%. In order to rack up points, you have to either get as many three point shots as possible, convert attempts from both ranges at a higher rate, or get to the charity stripe often. Or two or all.

LBJ ups our 2pt conversion within 5ft, which is a shot we emphasize. But he still takes midrange shots, which is a shot we de-emphasize. But most importantly, he lowers our 3pt% as a team.

PG13 is worse at the cup and midrange shots, but we wouldn't use him as a driver a la Harden. His best benefit is to up his 3pt attempts to leverage his high 3pt%.

Again, I'm not saying LBJ isn't better than PG. i'm saying at the right price, pg13 fits out heavily three point shooting team better. And it can be done with little need to adjust the team philosophy and play-calling.

14. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Also, while I thought PG was the better defender too, the dpoy voting doesn't seem to reflect that. Last time PG received votes was 2013/14. LBJ has been on the list every year since then. So LBJ is better than PG there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2017.html

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

Harden has 40% in FGs so far in this playoffs, you think you get another player to have 20 FGAs per game with 40% accuracy and you would have this team to win championship more likely than to have LBJ on board? lmao.

16. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

What?

If you’re criticizing PG here bc his 2pt shooting, then you’re not getting the point. We would up PG’s three pt shots and restrict his driving and midrange shooting. He also would not get 20 attempts a game. Imagine him in an Ariza type role. 3nD and can create off the dribble if absolutely necessary, but the latter part would be minimized in our playcall strategy. But that is also why I said I wouldn’t go for it if he demands the max.

17. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Why not both Capela and LeBron? If LeBron wants to come to Houston and Harden is OK with it, Morey will get it done without losing Capela.

You simply don't throw away a core of Harden/Paul/Capela winning at 50-5.