1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you still tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marteen, Apr 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nope. The stock of our players benefited from this late semi-run.

2. bro2044

bro2044 Member

just cant say I'd ever do it. I love my team and want to see them win. Tanking guarantees a higher draft pick, but it never guarantees a future. The brightness of that future lies in uncontrollable things like chemistry, injury, coaching, the talent of OTHER teams, etc.

There's so many unpredictable things that could happen just in ONE game, why weigh so much of a teams future on a DRAFT pick that could or couldnt pan out for years to come?

Its not like sacrificing pawns in chess so that you can eventually win the war, NBA is season-to-season, ever-revolving, so there is no epic final battle in the future except for an annual championship series.

We're never promised a tomorrow, so why give up winning ways and self-confidence and pride and motivation for a "potential" future?

lame. think what you want. thats what I think.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Like there is so much potential in that 1-10 pick this year....

I'll rather give that time to Big Dick Patterson than some rookie who might or might not bring anything to the table

And why in the world would you stop playing well, we were on an unbelievable roll. I loved how we played these last 15-20 games. I very much enjoyed it.

4. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

If they weren't discovered until later in their careers wouldn't that imply that you can still find great players drafting at 14?

Tanking is the most absurd idea ever mentioned in sports. :mad:

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

There's no point now

6. lalala902102001

I always believe that mediocrity is the worst thing for an NBA team and unfortunately the Rockets are the very definition of mediocirty this year. No I would not have enjoyed watching a 15 win team as much as I did with this group, but I would have known that the future would be brighter in that case. This team is not going anywhere as it is constructed now. Even if we sneaked into the playoffs we would have been swept in the first round. Considering how much money this team is paying its current players and the lack of star potential on this team I don't see us turning this around any time soon. The goal for any NBA team should be to win a championship, not just to be good enough to put butts into your stadium and the Rockets aren't even doing that.

7. PeppermintCandy

The games since the trade deadline have been the most enjoyable I've seen played by the Rockets in the past two seasons. Just night after night of gritty team ball, and I've loved every minute of it.

But in the long term, I'd get more gratification to see Houston end up with a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft and build towards a better future. That said, I probably would have watched a lot fewer games this season, too.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Its perfect time to go into full tank mode!

9. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

it is never too late to tank.

10. vick

vick Member

Charlie Sheen would say WINNING, but i say tanking:eek::eek:

11. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

stick to winning

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lowry upped his stock, but I don't think we're likely to trade him anyway. Hayes upped his stock, but that just makes him more expensive to re-sign in the offseason. Budinger redeemed himself somewhat and Courtney Lee has looked good, which improved their stock for a trade. Of course, Jordan Hill, Brad Miller and T-Will have hurt their stocks since ASG, and they might have been able to hide that behind a tank-job. Meanwhile, I think Martin, Scola, Patterson, and Dragic are roughly neutral. In sum, I think it's roughly a wash.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nope. I agree this run will ultimately end up benefiting our players' stock.

Plus, more importantly: we narrowly missed the playoffs so it was well worth it to at least try to stay the course. Not to mention, the #1 seed this year certainly doesn't nor should they scare us at all. Sure, the Spurs would win but this is essentially LA vs. OKC 2010 Part II. A series where any intelligent NBA fan knows we would give them a fight and at least make it interesting.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hell no, tanking is for losers. I've enjoyed every moment of contention this team had. I give them props for still playing with pride.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

"Tanking" only occurs at management level, so that's the only thing I really know how to discuss (as should anyone else).

So in reality, you "tank" by trading currently-good older players for hopefully-good future players. In some cases you just don't re-sign older players in the off-season to open up cap space for the future.

I only see two players that fit that description that weren't traded....Scola and Martin. A Scola trade was going to be complicated due to BYC rules, and I just think you're reaching if you 1.) consider Martin an "old player" and 2.) that it would be easy to get back equal future value in a raw younger player.

I think the only way tankers can argue is to conjure up which trades for Scola and Martin they would have done. And explain why the other team would do it. That's really all I see worthy of discussion in regards to tanking after the all-star break.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

First, you simply can't expect or ask a professional to not give it their best when on the court. That means the only way you can truly tank is to play your worst players the majority of the minutes which is tremendously unfair to players, especially those that are set to become free agents.

For example, had the Rockets decided to tank, Hayes' minutes would have needed to be cut damatically. How fair is that to him heading into a contract year.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

People constantly ignore the fact that tanking sours your locker room and has a lingering effect. Once you lose that "we're here to win" driven mindset, you become the LA Clippers.

Things I'm not happy about in retrospect:
    T-Will deal (he can still prove me wrong, but so far just looks like a punk)
    Battier deal (more about the return than moving him and opening up mins for Lee/Chase...we couldn't do better than Thabeet and a non-lottery 2013 pick?????)
    Brad Miller deal (hell, I'd prefer we sent Battier out for 'free' as long as someone took Miller as well)

Things broke wrong for us all year, and Clutch may have nailed it pointing at the Chandler trade that MJ killed.

We'll see what happens on the other side of the CBA

18. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

no integrity to the sport if teams TANK

As much as I want the Rockets to maximize their opportunities for winning a championship, we really need to understand what we're asking the Rockets to do. Just imagine if other teams did the same thing (tanking). The league would be a joke. Bilions of dollars are put in this product called the NBA. For so many years, Boxing had the reputation of matches being fixed, fighters taking dives, etc. NBA can not nor should not tolerate teams/players tanking. What's the point of going to games or even watching them.

No tanking, play your best. Even the NBA players have careers to uphold. Well, most of them do.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Tanking should start in October, so by the time most fans started warming to the idea, it was too late to matter.

20. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

A lot teams have been tanking year after year.

The bottom NBA teams are already a joke.

NBA has been like this for many many years.