1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather win an Olympic Gold or Major League Championship?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 8, 2014.

?

Would you rather win an Olympic Gold or Pro Major League Championship?

1. Yes, I would rather win a Gold Medal in the Olympics.

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No I would rather win a pro major league championship

47 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. I don't play sports.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Living in Hockey territory I've been hearing a lot about how important it is for NHL stars to play in the Olympics even at the risk to the Stanley Cup prospects of their teams. Just wondering what Clutchfans think.

Would you rather win Olympic Gold (you can name sport) or a Major League (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, UEFA, Grand Slam Tennis, Major PGA or etc.) championship?

For me I would rather win a Gold Medal largely because the pinnacle of my sport is the Olympics. Even if I could win an MMA title I think a Gold Medal would be more satisfying.

2. gezza

gezza Member

Been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, although I don't really play anymore.

Winning Wimbledon would be number one for me by far.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Depends on the sport really

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

With the Major League, with a couple exceptions, you are going against the best of the best. In the Olympics, you might compete against a couple serious teams.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

if i were a foreign basketball player...olympics

if i were a american basketball player...nba championship

...this is assuming that I am an equal quality basketball player no matter what. It would obviously be better to be good enough to make Team USA versus being a random player on an Olympic winning foreign basketball team.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That might've been true when they didn't let pros compete in the Olympics but for the most part now the best of the best are playing in the Olympics.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This, completely. Also, is it a team or individual sport?

With some sports the epitome of greatness is an Olympic gold, like swimming and track and field. While other league-based sports like the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB a championship in those sports is better than the gold medal. Because you play only the best in the world in the league. In the Olympics, team sports talent pools are diluted due to country restrictions and increased player counts. I think the average NBA team could beat any Olympic team not named USA nine out of ten times. Same goes for baseball and hockey.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

For soccer, I think a better comparison would be the World Cup vs UEFA Championship. I would say most would pick the World Cup.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I disagree with this with respect to team sports. I think a World Cup victory outweighs an Olympic gold in soccer. When baseball was in the Olympics, I think a World Series victory would win out as well as an NBA championship.

With respect to individual sports, it depends on the sport. Tennis - Wimbledon probably out ranks the Olympics as does the Masters.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A World Cup victory is a little bit different as you are playing as a country and like the Olympics only comes around every four years. For the NBA there have been different opinions. While China never won a medal in the Olympics it was pretty clear to Yao Ming how important it was to play in the Olympics even if it possibly harmed the Rockets chances.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That once was true about the NBA and the Olympics but given the success of Spain and Argentina I don't think that is the way it is anymore.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that most would want to win a major league championship on a basketball board but I thought it would be closer.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Really tough call.

On one hand, an Olympic medal is far harder to earn, and most frequently an individual award. On the the other hand, there is far more guaranteed money in pro sports.

My preference would be to win a major Tennis or Golf Championship, since that is guaranteed money and prestige.

If we took money out of it, I'd rather win a gold medal (preferably a track sport).

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wimbledon would definitely be #1 for me in Tennis as well. As a kid I absolutely loved watching Sampras, and how much more exclusive grass courts are in comparison to hard courts.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For some reason I've never really cared about the Olympics, at least not as nearly as passionately as many others do*. I'll watch some of it if it involves great, rare talent like Michael Phelps. But other than that, I just don't care. I'll try to watch it and be interested, but I can't get myself to care about the medal count as much as I care about a single win or loss for any of the pro or college teams I follow. It's always been like that for me. Not sure why.

*Much of this interest comes off as phony to me, much like the sudden increase in interest in football around the Superbowl or soccer around the World Cup. This phony sudden interest bothers me.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I personally would rather win an Olympic Gold Medal than a Major League Championship.

I know that winning a Major League Championship might be more difficult in some sports due to higher level of competition vs the level of competition in the Olympics, but nothing compares (to me) like standing on that podium with the gold medal around your neck, while the National Anthem is played for the whole world to hear! Remember that for every four Major League Titles there is only one Gold Medal awarded! Regardless, I'll never win a Gold Medal or win a Major League Championship so it's irrelevant...:(

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

GOLD Medal, definitely. :cool:

* You don't get to take the "Lombardi" or the O'Brien trophy home. :eek: Even with TEAM sports, you get an individual medal and it's made of the metal.
    * There's nothing like seeing your country's flag above all others for that event, and seeing people singing your national anthem.
    * The two-level podium is significant as to rising above the competition.
    * Because there's less of a chance to win one only every four years, it is more of a prestigious award

[​IMG]

The FIFA WORLD CUP is the only true WORLD Championship event of one sport, and that's probably the only major other competition I'd prefer winning over a Gold Medal.

That's a bit of a disrespectful thing to say about the athletes, but I digress. :eek: You don't think the best of the best are in the Olympic competitions? That's ludicrous to say.

What about individual sports?

#17 SwoLy-D, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I never said it wasn't important to play in the Olympics. I may be wrong, but I believe that Barkley's biggest lament in his basketball career is that he never won an NBA championship even though he was the leading scorer on the first dream team. I would venture to guess that if you secretly polled every American MLB, NBA and NHL player, the vast majority would choose to win the World Series or NBA Championship or Stanley Cup over an Olympic gold medal. I would also assume that the vast majority would consider it to be an extreme honor to represent the U.S.A. in the Olympics.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

^^^
    ............[​IMG]..............

(P.S) SwoLy is that you in the far bottom photobombing?...he's the only one in the picture who's not showing a medal...:p

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A star Olympic athlete (Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Nastasia Liukin) can earn a lot of money.