1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather make a layup for $20,000 or a half court shot for $5 MILLION

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCII, Jul 21, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the thread title it does say "make". In that case I will take the $5 mil.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I didn't mean the exact same odds, but unless you're Larry Bird, you miss more half-court shots than you make, and if you're not an exceptional shooter, you're probably < 5% on half-court shots.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

As pointed out above me.

By the thread title the obvious choice is Half Court Shot for 5 million.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Odds wise, does $20k in lotto tickets beat the odds that I make a halfcourt shot?

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You came in with nothing, you can leave with nothing. Go for the half court shot and never look back. Honestly, its not even a struggle for me.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think it depends on your financial situation.

Most people would go for the layup though. I know I would.

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Half court shot assuming I had time to practice it. If this was out of the blue choice, then probably layup.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Layup now, but if I had like a year to practice halfcourt shots i'd go for that

9. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I wonder how much insurance would cost to cover a half-court $5 million shot.. schedule it on an outside court on a windy day, and I think we have something going here.... ;) ;)

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

20K wont really do anything for me, other than reimburse my Vegas weekend a couple weeks ago...so I'd go for the 5 million.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Half Court shot, I can hit those at a decent rate...maybe 30%....so why not give it a go.

DD

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Definitely the lay-up. Opting for the half court shot is like turning down a free car.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Everybody is reading the thread title all wrong! He's asking would you rather pay $20,000 to make a lay-up, or $5 million to make a half-court shot. In which case, I say neither. I can make those for free, so I certainly wouldn't pay for one, and even if I couldn't make one without paying somebody, it's not that important to me to hit a basket anyway, so I'll just live without.

I imagine there have been many an NBA game where the coach would gladly pay $20k for someone to make a lay-up, and even quite a few where $5m for a guaranteed halfcourt heave would be tempting.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Interesting question... I'd rather make one that pays me more, as someone else already said. :eek:

Attempt: layup.
    MAKE: half court shot.
    Nope, not DaDarkOne. The dude in the video isn't holding a smart phone while posting on CF.net .

15. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I know I can easily hit at least 1 out of 100 half court shots, so there is more value to taking the half court shot, but I think I would be perfectly content to take the $20,000, buy a couple things I've had my eye on, and stick the rest in my retirement fund.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'd hit a half court shot and then catch the ball bouncing from the swish and do a layup. Combo Breaker?

17. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I need the money, even with all the pressure I think I would at least be 80% not to blow the layup.

I think I am something like 1 for 40 lifetime half court shots attempted.

Also with the pressure I am just as likely to barely get the ball to the free throw line with my heave...which is just as humiliating if not moreso than missing the gimme.

So I'll do the layup and take the $ (hopefully)

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

If I make the half court on a hook shot, do I get double at least, maybe the MLE? I'm real good, just like those youtube videos.

19. kikimama

kikimama Member

Lay up if I can do it over handed.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd make the layup and then offer $10,000 to the most nervous guy or gal waiting at the half-court line.