1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Rather have Cecil Cooper or Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Apr 23, 2009.

?

What is the best answer

Poll closed May 23, 2009.
  1. Honest Answer

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Cliche/Company Line

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Don't care, Just Perform

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sports figure is asked a question, gives an honest answer. Lakers or Cleveland

Sports figure is asked a question, gives correct answer. 90 wins

2. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Cecil Cooper hands down.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In the context of this poll, you have to believe that Cooper doesn't think they can win 90 games and was just toeing the company line. In the big picture, 90 wins is just 4 more than last year, so it is not unreasonable for Cooper to think they can win 4 more games.

In a sense, Cooper put his neck on the line. If they come in way under that figure without any significant injuries, he should be fired because he has gone on record saying he should be able to win 90 games with this roster.

Also, the everyday roster they started with this year is an improvement over last year. The bullpen (a strong point last year) is essentially the same. The starting pitching was a weakness last year and is projected to be a weakness this year, so "projection wise" it's a wash.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it depends, I dont like either answer here.

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah I actually believe that Cooper believes that his team can win 90 games. I don't think he was just saying the company line.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

With the Astros obviously not in a rebuilding mode, Cecil Cooper BETTER say he can win 90 games and believe it, otherwise he should be fired regardless.

7. STIX

STIX Member

I wonder if Cecil Cooper will lose his passion towards the game if Berkman or Oswalt went down due to injury... :rolleyes:

I really do believe Cooper thinks he can win 90 games..if we could just "B"LIEVE him..like we did when we were in a WS run..

Don't even mention T-Mac..I have heard enough excuses for the year..

Cecil Cooper hands down..

8. msn

msn Member

Cooper.

All the "honesty" in the world doesn't make up for T-Mac jakeing it during his offseason rehab.

It will be a good day when he is no longer a part of the Rockets organization.

I never fathomed the day when I would prefer Ron Freaking Artest to Tracy McGrady.

See ya, MeMac.

9. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I'll go with T-Mac because he would fill out a better lineup card.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Tracy said what we all think. I didn't buy into Coop's 90 wins. But I understand why both said what they said. Give me Tracy's honestly.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I can't say it any better.

12. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

No question about it. I would rather have T-Mac. As far as Coop goes, he just seems to make the wrong move every time. To me, it seems that his players don't respect him.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Last season, I believe they had the best record in the National League after the all-star break. Did he make the wrong move every time during that stretch?

14. msn

msn Member

lol

I love how people extol McGrady's "honesty".

"Hey, dude sat on his ass all summer when he was supposed to be rehabbing. But at least he was upfront and honest right at the beginning of the year!"

"McGrady doesn't think his own team has a chance in the playoffs. At least he's honest about it!"

Poppy-freaking-****. If he's so "honest", why the hell isn't he paying some of that salary back after not showing up to work for months? $22 mil, surgery and medical care on the house, and sit on his ass rather than doing what it takes to get right. Yeah, that's "honest".

I can't wait until MeMac is someone else's problem.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong forum and a continuation thread from the GARM.

DD

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

edit: sorry

#16 pgabriel, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  17. TheBigAristotle

Useless information in original post, but in terms of the two the nod goes to Coop.

I'm ready for McGrady to pack his bags and leave town.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not asking would you rather half cecil or tracy, would you rather have a sports figure be honest (particularly when things aren't going well) or would you rather have an athlete who totes the company line.

19. msn

msn Member

Perhaps DD was referring to my commentary on T-Mac, in which case I will agree with him an offer a mea culpa.

To the thought of the OP, I don't necessarily think Coop always totes the company line. I've found him pretty frank in some cases. At any rate, to me it's not worth wringing my hands over. As long as I like what I see between the lines. 6-10, especially have dropped 3 out of 4 to the freaking Reds, is a much bigger deal to me than the possibility of Coop gladhanding the press to make the Company happy.