1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you include Canaan in a trade for Gogi or Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Does anyone see a little dame Lillard in Cannan? I think there game is very similar from the small sample size. Obviously the odds of him being that good are slim but if he could become a player like Mo Williams when he was a cav and made the allstar team playing with lebron that would be great. I think he has that chance playing with harden who takes a lot of pressure off his teammates. He's just gotta make them pay for all
    Those double teams harden draws.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you are really trying to win, and I mean REALLY trying, you can not be afraid of paying some luxury tax to make it happen.

Les spends money on picks, but that is not the same as spending lux tax.

Let's see if the Rockets are TRULY about winning no matter, what - because so far, I have not seen it.

DD

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Strip the assets (Canaan, D-Mo the NOP pick) to trade for a questionable fit at PG? I don't believe that Les is against paying the tax. I believe it would have happened if Bosh had been signed. But the Rockets are playing great, missing three starters, and it is not time to panic. Yet.

4. DaDakota

I agree, I am not convinced we need to trade anyone, just get folks healthy and play the younger guys more as the year goes on and the older guys like Garcia and Terry less.

By the end of the year, if healthy your team is seasoned and has all the parts.

PG - Bev/Cannon
    SG - Harden/Terry
    SF - Ariza/Papa
    PF - TJones/DMO
    C - Howard/DMO

That is a good 9 man rotation....and has flexibility all over it.

DD

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And that looks like a frighteningly difficult match up in the playoffs. It honestly would not surprise me at this point if Houston came in with one of the top two seeds in the West. If this Houston team gets healthy they will be a beast.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Are there concerns that Goran wouldn't re-sign with Houston if a trade were to happen?

I would assume the low cost for Dragic is because:
    - he has made it known he won't return to Phoenix - essentially destroying their negotiating leverage
    - his agent is wanting to keep his players options open and is not giving a trade partner the benefit of knowing if they are on the preferred destination list.

...or C "other" like people doubt his talent level or there is some injury concern, etc...

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The problem is that Dragic may command $11M+ on the free agent market. Even though there is more talent at the PG position than any other position in the NBA. Canaan will be on the Rockets roster next season. Bev in all probability is going to be very very much less expensive than than Dragic. Is a Bev-Canaan PG rotation more than sufficient next season? Many of us think so.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, a three-way with Pels' Anderson filling their desire for a stretch 4 and Gogi here; to Pels? Pap and Capella.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Don't think so. Pelicans want to win now - more likely to trade for vets than two rookies.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My bad ;)

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

God points.

Ultimately there probably are much better fits for our team.

12. DaDakota

That is why I think Cannon & Bev fit so well..

DD

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Canaan for The Dragon?
    That's not even a question

[​IMG]

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion anymore that Dragon costs us the Pellies pick.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That may be true but re PG depth league wide, but Dragic represents a scarcity on this Rockets roster of shot creators. The question is not whether Dragic is better than Bev/Canaan but whether Dragic/Bev is better than the current duo.

....we essentially have 3 needs on this roster(prioritized)
    - 3rd star - a guy who can get his own shot in the clutch.
    - a serviceable PF to battle with the Aldridge, Griffin, and Z-bos in the West playoffs
    - bench depth.

....Dragic could cost us up to 17 mil next season but he could also opt into his current contract to get a crack at that higher ceiling that Agents are salivating for with the tv money increasing the cap. I think Plowman seems to suggest that the price might not be that high to get Dragic in which case I say take Dragic at the expense of Canaan because he makes you a more dangerous team in the playoffs. If Canaan is the price to get one of those roster needs above, you gotta figure getting Dragic for him is going to be cheaper than what it takes to get a PF who will move the needle.