1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you include Canaan in a trade for Gogi or Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

How can you make the point that youre concerned with Dragics ability to play off the ball when the comparison is with Rondo?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm also concerned with Rondo, but less so because Rondo doesn't need to score to positively impact the game.

3. Mr. Clutch

We wouldn't be asking Rondo to score. His outside shooting would be a concern, but that hasn't stopped him or his teams in the past.

And we could use another creator. That's what Morey is doing, after all, when he is trying to trade for a 3rd star.

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

Rondo's bad FT shooting really isn't as big a deal as you think it is. He rarely gets caught holding the ball in crunch time. You'll see this if you actually watch the games.

If Rondo were here...he wouldn't be running the offense from the top when we're up and the other team is trying to hack to get back in the game. Ball would be in Harden's grubby mits at that time. And Harden would be shutting the barn door like he does now.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

When I envision Rondo on this team, I see him as a sixth man with Beverley starting. I know people will scoff of that, but legit contending teams have great players, even all stars, coming off the bench (Harden, Ginobili). As long as everyone is getting 30+ minutes, and we are winning, it should work. Hell let him start, for ego sake, but pull one of Harden or Rondo after six minutes to get the ideal lineups.

The offense comes to a standstill when Harden comes to the bench and we have just about nothing until he comes back in. I hate seeing Ariza try and create with the most awkward dribbling ever. We try post ups with Howard and Dmo, and I see Rondo as the perfect facilitator of that. Rondo played 30 minutes today and took 5 shots. You are telling me, we couldn't make that work here?

Another thing is too consider is that we simply cannot add anymore role players until we get that third star. Once that happens, the flood gates open and we can add guys like Illyasova, Lance Stepehenson, Jose Calderon, Kevin Martin. IE, good players who are on good but long contracts that could be had for cheap. That is not going to make this team contenders, it is going to make us into a potential dynasty. I don't know about you guys, but I am ready for my 5+ years of being title favorites every year.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

After being able to watch the team for nearly 20 games I think I like Dragic as the best option. The team has shown it can still be solid defensively with someone like Canaan playing PG. Canaan has been decent there and I think Dragic would be a little better than him defensively. Dragic also allows the most lineup flexibility.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just. drop. this. OK? Please and thanks.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Agreed, but I put Gogi in the same category as Millsap, just too expensive for the Rockets to afford. The bidding war on those two players is going to be huge.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't understand your logic. If Dragic can't play off the ball, Rondo can? Rondo would be a worse off ball player than Dragic. You yourself pointed out that Rondo's value is in his creating, not shooting. That's good except that Harden is already having the ball. Dragic at least can shoot.

I'd take Rondo only if he's willing to take a back seat of Harden on offense, or come off the bench, which I doubt that he would.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes if either agree to an extension... hell to the Yes! A rotation of beverly rondo and harden or Dragic Harden and Beverly is just flat out scary! Talk about one of the best defensive teams. I love canaan but both those two can play defence and score. It is redundant to have both canaan, troy daniels and jason terry on this team. Plus undersized two guards that love to score come in every draft. What we really need is another distributor, defender, and is a reasonable shooter. Meaning no Rubio please. Those two fit the bill and if we can acquire them for tjones and a canaan and capella then do it without thinking twice!

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes if either agree to an extension... hell to the Yes! A rotation of beverly rondo and harden or Dragic Harden and Beverly is just flat out scary! Talk about one of the best defensive teams. I love canaan but both those two can play defence and score. It is redundant to have both canaan, troy daniels and jason terry on this team. Plus undersized two guards that love to score come in every draft. What we really need is another distributor, defender, and is a reasonable shooter. Meaning no Rubio please. Those two fit the bill and if we can acquire either of them for tjones and a canaan and capella then do it without thinking twice!

12. Mr. Clutch

Well Rondo creates by passing and moving the ball. Dragic creates by shooting.

I would think the former could fit better. Yes it would be an adjutment for him and Harden until they find the right balance. Maybe it's with Rondo off the bench. Rondo fit well with big scorers Paul Pierce and Ray Allen didn't he?

And even if it doesn't work he's still a good defensive player.

Of course I could be wrong and he may be a disaster.

Either way we're looking for a 3rd star and Harden will have to give up some ball dominance, no? Unless our 3rd star is mostly defensive like Kawhi

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Your analysis is correct. By the standard metrics used to calculate "creativity", Dragic is little better than average. However Harden currently generates 15 points off of drives to the rim and 6.8 assists with the ball in his hands. Rondo is averaging 9 points and 10.5 assists. Looks to me like everything Rondo could bring would be detrimental to Harden's game. Besides, does anyone believe that Harden is willingly going to let anyone on this team take the ball out of his hands? I personally would not want to be the GM that had to inform Harden that Rondo was coming.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Would trade Canaan, Nick Johnson, Capela, D-Mo, and the NOLA pick for Dragic. He's basically a poor man's Harden. We have no one who can create their own shot & create for others other than Harden. Plus Dragic fits into the trade exception. Who could we acquire this season that would be better than him?

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Rondo has already had the max deal while Dragic hasn't? Rondo on some kind of deal much less than max would be nice if he's looking to be on a contending team again.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You would trade every single asset Houston has for Dragic? Thank god you are not the GM. What a disaster that would be. And no, he is not a poor mans Harden. He is a Lin upgrade. Nothing more.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No worries FJ. He won't cost anything remotely close to that.

18. kemah

kemah Member

lol

He is a possible one year rental. Morey ain't touching that PO. Bledsoe is too expensive but Thomas may be had.

19. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Why would you trade a PG who can shoot and play good defense. We need bigs way more than PG's

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His are yall still having massive threads about these guys???