1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you guys do this? Jay Williams for Steve Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

I am not trying to stir up anything but you gotta look at the facts. Jay Will probably has a much bigger upside than Francis. Williams has a stone cold work ethic, incredibly intelligent, geniune personality, athleticism comparable to Francis (maybe less hops but probably faster), positive attitude and knows how to get his team involved. Jay Will can be a shoot first type of guard when need to be or a pass first type of guard. Francis would be better than Jay for maybe 2 years but after that, I expect Jay Will to surpass Francis on every aspect. The Rox could still make the playoffs with Jay Will instead of Francis and probably 2 years down the line, there could be rings with the right franchise.

As of now, Francis is worth more than Jay Will...its a big gamble, but I willing to bet the rox can get a sweet deal outta this trade.

Maybe...
    Francis+Rice for Eric Robinson+Jay Will...that might be stretching it though

ya gonna flame me now?

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

3. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Besides...with keon clark on the kings, Mavs still a strong team and Lakers with Shaq...Rockets won't be contenders for the finals for atleast 2 years. I say start building for the future while making it to the playoffs each year. With Jay Will...the rox can do that.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

JWill has bigger upside than Steve? LOL thanks for the laugh. Maybe JWill will someday be better than Francis but I am not going to bet my house on it.

I would rather keep Francis.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

No friggin way.

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Well, this "Eric" Robinson guy sounds intriguing. Can you tell us more about him?

7. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

If you would be willing to trade a superstar point guard for a rookie then you are crazy. Williams doesn't have a better upside then Francis. Francis is already better then Williams and will always be better then him. Trading the <b>franchise player</p> for a rookie is insane.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

uhm uhm.... hmm....::scratches head::
    I'll stick with steve unless there's crap between him and ming because we didn't trade for one of his buddies.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah right, Jay Will has more upside? The Rockets would make the playoffs with Jay Will and not Francis, based on what!? What he did at Duke!? Well I will tell you that the Rockets will make the playoffs based on what Francis has done in the NBA, that is put up All-Star numbers and lead a reasonably healthy Rockets team to 45 wins. That's my bigger upside right there. What on earth has Jay Will done to make you think he is has much better upside then an All-Star PG in Steve Francis? Francis is a 75 to 80% FT shooter, Jay Will is a HORRIBLE FT shooter. Francis has a better outside shot and handles the ball better, Jay Will actually shared the ball-handling responsibility with Duhon. No thank you, you can keep Jay Will, Francis will be better then him no doubt! And Jay Will having a "geniune personality" and "positive attitude" that doesn't win games or championships in the NBA.

#9 RocksMillenium, Aug 17, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope, not gonna do it.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

No, but two thumbs down on the whole idea.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

No, not for that package. However, if you'd accept this deal, then we can talk.

Francis/Cato/Rice/Collier for JWill/Curry/Rose/Chandler. :D

#12 Hottoddie, Aug 17, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  13. RedRock

RedRock Member

uh....can we see Jay Will play first? You want to trade an All-Star point guard who has yet to play his best ball for a rookie? Don't think so.

14. MONON

MONON Member

Jay Will has one thing going against him. HE PLAYED AT DUKE!!! Coach K. teaches a great college game, but Duke players just don't make it big in the NBA(ok, the book is still out on Brand). The same goes for Coach K's mentor, Bobby Knight. Look at what only 2 years of Bobby Knight did for Jason Collier.:D :D :D

Bottom line: I wouldn't trade any "franchise" player straight up for any Knight/K. system player!!!!!!!

15. wagner

wagner Member

ummmmmm....is Francis happy in houston????
    will he still be around houston the next summer ?????

HOw about Mobley and someone for Jay and someone....

then we have a ultimate back court in Jay and Stevie..:D

16. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

What are you doing giving up Collier for Chandler?!?!?!?!?!?!

Trying to put a curse on the Bulls or something?

17. aznlincolnpark

yes, only if francis and yao wont get along.........:D

18. tozai

tozai Member

Yep. Francis is way better than Jason and always will be. I don't see how you'd believe Jason would be better unless Dickie V brainwashed you. Francis handles better, can pass better (when having the right players surrounding), scores better, and is more athletic. Just my opinion, but I think it's a fact...

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I wouldn't do a Francis for Jay Will trade straight up. But I would do a KT and Francis for Jay Will and Chandler in a heartbeat.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Two words: HELL NO! :mad: