1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

thank you.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It would be downright stupid to sign Peyton up when you have Matt Schaub's bills to pay. Tons of money tied up in one position, and you completely buttf**k your team chemistry for the future (Schaub is 31, Peyton is 36... guess who is going to be around longer). Talk about completely hamstringing your team.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

other than the part about being the best team in the NFL and likely winning a championship, i agree wholeheartedly.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

yes, Peyton Manning is known to ruin team chemistry.

i like Matt Schaub, but I have never seen a thread filled with more homerism and less objectivity than this.

if we currently had Peyton Manning on our roster (coming off injury), would you guys advocate getting rid of him and signing Matt Schaub?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're changing horses after building your offense for 5 years around Matt Schaub. You think there would be at least SOME adjustment period? And beyond that, have you considered how cheesed off some of the office and lockerroom personnel might be at such a move? When Peyton is ready to blow town in 2-3 years (hell, maybe sooner), and Schaub is still slinging rocks, you'd look like a damned fool if you did this. That is screwing over your future for sure. The only way this makes sense (both from a money standpoint and a football standpoint), at all, is if Schaub is done for sure.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Actually....

You're showing a total disregard for the system. Individually? Yes, of course Lloyd is better than Walter, just as Manning is better than Schaub. But that's ultimately irrelevant because we're dealing with a very specific system predicated on players doing very specific things.

The Texans' lack of a downfield threat has absolutely nothing to do with Kevin Walter. Never has. Never will. So Lloyd running better deep routes doesn't make *this* team better because they already have a guy running deep routes: Andre Johnson. They would need Lloyd to do what Walter does - blocking, running underneath routes, etc. - does he do *those things* better? That's the question.

The bootleg is absolutely the home run hitter in this offense - so there's legitimate merit in questioning Manning's ability to roll out effectively. We know Schaub can do it - he has hit countless big plays with it.

7. ima_drummer2k

Okay, there's something oddly familiar about Hey Now!'s posts. Did I miss something?

8. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

These also these:

Three Neck Surgeries and 36 Years Old
    Matt Schaub
    Huge Contract
    Salary Cap
    This isn't Madden
    AFC South (Why would the Colts help the Texans)
    AFC South (Why would the Texans help the Colts)
    Andrew Luck (Colts have no need for Schaub thus no easy trade)
    Garry Kubiak (The architect of and UNDISPUTED final say on offense)
    It ain't broke (So don't try and fix it)

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

they are more likely to release manning than trade him.

and i guess you are against attempting to upgrade any position on the field, right?

also, seems like most of you have overlooked the fact that schaub is the most injury-prone starting qb in the league next to vick.

whatever though, i give up. i shouldn't have to plead my case as to why i'd rather have peyton manning as my qb than matt schaub. this franchise doesn't make bold moves, and that mentality has seemingly seeped into the heads of the fanbase. let's stand pat and hope the rest of the nfl doesn't make any upgrades.

10. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

So out of all the upgrades that this team could possibly do, you see the QB position as the best one to make?

After getting Manning we should then look to upgrade the RB1/2, WR1, MLB1/2, and CB1. All in the pursuit of GREATNESS!!!

11. ima_drummer2k

This thread should be fun to bump when Manning inevitably retires later on this year...

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I didn't read the the thread, but did anybody suggest how the Texans would pay him?
    We can't even pay Mario.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Especially if he tries to make it with another team.

14. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

We should also look to upgrade at DE. We need to trade JJ Watt or the Ninja and sign Robert Mathis that way he can reunite with Peyton here in Houston.

15. justafriend

justafriend Member

I think Lloyd would have been great here, but the difference is he would have cost very little to acquire and was low risk high reward. Manning would cost a ton and be extremely high risk with questionable reward.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Obviously if you sign Peyton you have to let Schaub go via trade or whatever. You don't put them on the same roster.

Signing Peyton would be saying "We're going to try to win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years while he mentors Yates as our QB of the future".

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, that's not the point i was making, but if the upgrade is schaub to peyton manning, then absolutely.

you said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". god knows the repercussions on team chemistry that upgrading any position could possibly have. better not tinker! stand pat bob, please.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Major

Major Member

But the system is built around the players you have. If you have better players, maybe you can build a better system.

Except Andre Johnson was not healthy much of the season. That's the beauty of depth. And, of course, even if he is healthy, then on the many downs when you know you are passing or running to the side of the field that Kevin Walter is not on, having that extra threat opens up many more possibilities for the QB.

The bootleg is a home run in this offense because Matt Schaub is good at it so they take advantage of that. I would hope, if you replaced Schaub with Manning, you'd be able to find other plays that work extremely effectively taking advantage of Manning's talents, which as a whole, are far more comprehensive than Schaub's.

I think highly of Schaub - I was very supportive of the trade for him and think he's a well above average QB. But Manning is one of the best, and more importantly *smartest*, QBs of all time. He's simply in a different class of player. I have zero doubt that you could improve the offense with him at the helm *if* he were healthy, the team could afford him, and he wanted to be there. But those are three very big questions.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

One of the greats, but football isn't a game for people with neck injuries. I think he would be risking too much to return to pro football. He doesn't need the money. He is great making commercials. I think he will retire.